Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaymzu

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2014
Ditto on the lag. Have a late 2012 rMBP and I run at 1920x1200 (HiDPI). The transparent frames trying to be rendered on the Intel graphics chip makes things really sluggish.

iGuybrush

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2011
Mid-2012 MacBook Air with Intel HD4000 - Little or no lag. Mission Control smooth... :p

Mid-2010 MacBook Pro with nVidia GT 330m - Laggy as hell, especially Mission Control... :mad:

I suppose that's understandable for an early preview. For sure we can expect performance improvements in the future.
By the way, did you try the integrated graphics card? I have a 15" mid 2010 mbp, and I was wondering if "eye candy" interface features such as transparencies will be available for this model, as Intel HD Graphics is a scant device.

sprezz

macrumors regular
May 28, 2014
Zurich, Switzerland
Just checking if other people are having massive interface lag when dragging finder windows or similar around on the desktop? it's very obvious and totally broken... just checking if its the upgrade or if everyone is having this :) thanks

basically unusable in a VM. been trying just to get xcode to install, just took several hours, and the UI is sluggish as hell too... going to have to wait for the next DP...

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
By the way, did you try the integrated graphics card? I have a 15" mid 2010 mbp, and I was wondering if "eye candy" interface features such as transparencies will be available for this model, as Intel HD Graphics is a scant device.

Yes, and they're sluggish... :eek:

Tikistand

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
i was having serious interface lag to the point where my MacBook Air was almost unusable and i was considering downgrading. Then I watched console while switching windows (the point when the lag was most apparent) and found that every time i did "pro_deskctl_agent" was reporting a stall. This is part of the parallels access application. I followed the instructions here: http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?290358-Uninstalling-Parallels-Access/page2 to create a shell script and remove it and the lag is now completely gone.

Holy crap. I've been trying to figure this out for weeks and weeks. If you're getting lag and have Parallels, remove it! Or at least remove Parallels Access!!

Thank you so much!

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
Nope.

I have just minor interface lag in System Preferences and "About this Mac" options. And I mean minor. Otherwise my OS is extremely stable and fluid.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
After my first full day on 10.10, YES. Worked a lot with Adobe today (Photoshop/Illustrator) and that is painfully dragging. I've boosted the RAM/Scratch Disc settings and no change.

Trying to bring up the menu for saving images (Control+Click) - that menu pop up is lagging, or it won't come up at all. Dragging an image from an external HD to desktop to edit, sluggish. Opening images in preview I get the dreaded spinning rainbow wheel for a few seconds...then the image appears in Preview. Just feels like the entire computer is struggling.

It is a 2011 Quad Core 3.4GHz, I installed more RAM about 2 years ago (12GB total), No idea, maybe a clean install can help.

Another oddity is my volume setting, it's just louder than before. Before I had the Volume bar at 4,5. Wasn't blasting music and other sounds.

Right now I am literally at 1 volume bar and it's fine. Not a huge deal..it is running on speakers with it's own volume control - I never changed it, like I said, just odd.

o5tP10X.png

On the Bright side, I actually gained space back on my HDD after installing 10.10. Roughly 900MB! Suppose Yosemite dumped a lot of old large sized unneeded Mavericks files(?)

Ritmo

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Finland
Nope.

I have just minor interface lag in System Preferences and "About this Mac" options. And I mean minor. Otherwise my OS is extremely stable and fluid.

"Minor". Even that is unacceptable. Microsoft engineers did this back in the day in vista but I guess Apple guys are not that skilled.

Horizon Man

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
I*m on a full spec late 2013 iMac, the entire system became extremely slow on installing Yosemite, tired a reinstall and it was no better.

Thankfully I had a TM fresh back up ready to go just in case.

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks and try again..

This seems to be a hit or miss update for people. I really liked the look and features Yosemite offers, so hoping I can get it running properly at some point.

yesjam

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2014
Yosemite caused significant lag on my mid-2014 rMBP, and it was enough to cause me to revert to Mavericks. It was incredibly off-putting.
I would say that the whole system was perceptively slower, but I notice particularly egregious lag when I would open stacks/folders on my dock.

It's unfortunate, because I have an iMac 27" that's four years old and was running Yosemite pretty well. That said, it was still noticeably slower than Mavericks. There are other reasons why I reverted that particular machine to Mavericks, honestly I'm just not a fan of Yosemite, but the animations generally ran smoothly if not quite as smooth as Mavericks.

Surely it is an optimization issue; Mavericks on the rMBP is perceptively faster in every way than the iMac. Under Yosemite, though, the advantages of the iMac in terms of performance are nullified by the fact that it doesn't have a retina display and struggles to look crisp on Yosemite. It's Apple's planned obsolescence in action - pressuring consumers to get Retina displays. I'm particularly unimpressed with Yosemite and will run Mavericks until I'm sufficiently convinced to move to Yosemite - and it's going to take a lot of convincing because this is the first release that I have been particularly displeased with. I even liked Lion more than Yosemite.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Same here. 2009 MP / GTX285 had no UI issues with 10.9, now switching desktops, opening/saving dialogs are horrendously choppy/laggy. Even the animation when opening finder from a drive icon sometimes just stops then pops up (animation skips completely).

I have a CCC bootable backup but I'm hoping this is fixed with a quick 10.10.1 update.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Or is anyone having FileVault encryption going on while you're experience lag? That was the issue for me the first day.

Rus Shackleford

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2003
NC, US
this is just one person's opinion but I was having tons of issues after upgrading to Yosemite on my 2010 iMac. it was so bad that I thought this release was terrible – after a couple of days of watching the spinning beach ball while trying to do basically anything I bit the bullet today and did a clean install and erased the drive. It was like night and day as soon as I restarted. I'm sure that most people won't want to do this since it's such a major pain but it worked.

I followed these instructions to create a bootable drive and then followed the same instructions to do a clean install.

http://osxdaily.com/2014/10/16/make-os-x-yosemite-boot-install-drive/

hope that helps somebody who is tearing their hair out like I was!

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
basically unusable in a VM. been trying just to get xcode to install, just took several hours, and the UI is sluggish as hell too... going to have to wait for the next DP...

Parallels or VMWare Fusion? I just upgraded the Fusion VM to Yosemite and it is close to unusable because of UI but I didn't have issues in installing xcode, or similar. I am not sure if that is completely a Yosemite issue or a Fusion issue, since Fusion keeps bugging me to update to the latest version that is "optimised" for Yosemite. :rolleyes:

Ritmo

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Finland
Inspired by all the stuff written lately about poor software quality coming from Apple, I tried installing clean version of Yosemite on my work mac.

Long story short it still sucks! Even something as simple as scrolling through files(only about 200 files) in Finder is laggy. All was indexed and good to go so it wasn´t because of that. Yosemite is just really bad.

So now I´ve tested this on two different macs. 13-inch Mid 2010, with SSD, and 15-inch mid 2010 i5, with HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.