Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loucifer

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
London
Gimmick. And, since NFC is slower than Oyster, this is just going to cause unnecessary congestion.

I"m pretty sure Oyster uses an NFC chip inside the card, I broke mine several times, and it is the same chip debit cards, smartphones and Apple watch have. Am I mistaken?

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
Chicago's transit system supports NFC payments. New York has an extensive transit system but they have an antiquated payment system that still uses swipe cards.
yeah at least the CTA has NFC.
And the mta is extensive but I said 'decent' ;)

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
I"m pretty sure Oyster uses an NFC chip inside the card, I broke mine several times, and it is the same chip debit cards, smartphones and Apple watch have. Am I mistaken?
It's NFC but credit cards are a little slower to process afaik

LuckyBubba

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
So apparently only US and UK banks are interested? No Japanese, Finnish or Brazilian banks interested? I highly doubt that.
I think everywhere is interested, but the laws and agreements are different everywhere. Eventually applepay will be available in all countries. In the US, not all banks are onboard just yet, I always thought if MasterCard approved, then all banks are approved. Apple must go to every bank directly (it appears to me that way) and have signed agreements.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===

Not at all-Oyster cards use a NFC chip. In terms of being "delayed" at the gate you can pre-authorise your phone/watch for 60 seconds before touching in/out.

I believe it's slightly faster on the Watch than the iPhone.

Reactions: craig1410

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I can't imagine how slow this would be with people having to authenticate their payment in a busy turnstile environment. Not a good use case for Apple Pay.

stoomac

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2015
Free transit was also the method ISIS Mobile (The AT&T/Verizon etc joint venture - then rebranded Softcard after their name was used in the middle east) tried to get people on board with NFC mobile payments in Austin and Salt Lake. After the freebies stopped, people ultimately went back to how they were most comfortable paying and the ISIS/Softcard shutdown March 31 after who knows how many hundreds of millions were spent trying to get it going.

cjbryce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
London
Gimmick. And, since NFC is slower than Oyster, this is just going to cause unnecessary congestion.
I use contactless and ApplePay in about equal amounts for my daily six-transaction commute and no longer use Oyster at all. It is slower than Oyster. By less than a tenth of a second as far as I can gauge it. Do you really think this will have a significant impact on the queues to get through turnstiles?

Last edited:
Reactions: jonatron

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Why can't they just offer a credit for every Mastercard activation on Apple Pay at least 5$ or $10. So people won't be crowding one place, makes everybody happy. :)

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
I can't imagine how slow this would be with people having to authenticate their payment in a busy turnstile environment. Not a good use case for Apple Pay.

There's nothing to authenticate, you can double-tap your side button before you approach the turnstile and then just touch and go! You should try it before you knock it. Anyone who gets annoyed by a tenth of a second delay needs to take a long hard look at themselves as others have pointed out above.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Still waiting on barclays to support Pay. They could hurry up a little bit!

GadgetBen

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2015
London
What banks accepting Apple Pay are using MasterCard? I think none of them do, only VISA.

This is a credit card benefit only and it appears only one financial institution will offer this in the UK: MBNA

Get a move on Capital One!

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
What banks accepting Apple Pay are using MasterCard? I think none of them do, only VISA.

This is a credit card benefit only and it appears only one financial institution will offer this in the UK: MBNA

Get a move on Capital One!

My Santander 123 credit card and Tesco Bank credit card use MasterCard. Similarly RBS/TSB/HSBC/NatWest/Lloyds also offer MasterCard credit cards.

I won't be in London to take advantage of this offer (unfortunately) but to earn 6% cash back on TfL using my 123 card whilst travelling for 'free' would be great.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Having used Apple Pay with my watch on London Underground it's very fast.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
So apparently only US and UK banks are interested? No Japanese, Finnish or Brazilian banks interested? I highly doubt that.

Doubt away - its the Bank's that aren't adopting it, not Apple blocking it. Its to do with Bank's not wanting to dilute their per transaction charge further. Apple take a cut of that profit when Apple Pay is used.

Farsider

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2014
London, UK
Why is everyone in such a hurry when trains leave EVERY MINUTE OR TWO!!!!! Literally, if you miss a train, another one shows up in a minute. It's a great system! But people are rushing through like it's the end of the world or something.

This is only if you travel in Zone 1 (ie Central London). Not all trains go out to the suburbs. I commute in and my train is every 30 mins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.