Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Is there any chance that this flash will unbrick a SuperDrive? My friend's was killed in the 2.1 Update, and since then has been unable to read most burned disks, burn disks, and gets really picky on scratched disks (disks that my ComboDrive reads no problem)

Robyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
I'm having some difficulty flashing my dvd firmware.
I have followed the steps as outlined except when I run DVD InfoX I get the following screen:
and then when I run the region free firmware app, nothing hapens.
Am I out of luck because my state is now permanent. (I initially had one change left and used it trying to get the State to show as SET)
Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Robyn

Attachments

• screen-capture-1.png
    screen-capture-1.png
    19 KB · Views: 491

ncshawng

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Harrisburg, NC
Nothing happens when I try to update:

Vendor: MATSHITA
Model: DVD-R UJ-857
Firmware: HAEA
RPC-2 (region locked)
State is SET
4 vendor resets left
4 region changes left
Region 1

This is a MBP1.1, Duo Core, 2.16 running 10.5.1

Robyn

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
irmongoose, I forgot to add that little piece of significant information to my post...however it solves the mystery for the lack of any activity when I carry out the steps.
Thank you for the response.

Cheers,
Robyn

jmoo53

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2007
State Permanent

Hi,

DVD Info X shows the following for my drive:

RPC-2 (region locked)
State is PERMANENT
4 vendor resets left
0 region change left
Region 4

Will i still be able to flush? I am using Tiger

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Netdog, your drive isn't a Matsushita drive. It's a HL (Hitachi-LG) drive... so you'd have to look elsewhere for a region-free hack.

I know that this is an old post, but it's worth mentioning that there IS a patch available from the GWA4080MA. If you need it and can't find it, send me a PM because I have it. Note that I don't guarantee it'll work with Leopard (and, come to think of it, it might need to be run in Boot Camp).

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I can flash my drive but only using tiger, so the question is can install tiger onto a ipod and then use that to flash my drive on my 17" MBP?

MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-85J:

Firmware Revision: FBZ8
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipping Drive)
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

mobthdsl

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
State is LAST CHANCE?

Hi,

I am attempting to flash my dvd drive, which I have only one region change left on before it locks. Instead of State is SET, as you have indicated, when I run DVDinfoX, my State comes up as LAST CHANCE. Can I still proceed to flash my dvd drive?, or do I need to change some settings to get the dvd drive listed as SET?

Thanks for the help.

glachhu

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Firmware for Matsushita UJ-845E Revision: DMP2?

Hi,

Thanks so much for posting. Is there any firmware available for Matsushita UJ-845E with Revision: DMP 2? I have the same problem where I can no longer play region 1 codes. My nephew visiting from Singapore played region 3 DVDs on my PowerBook G4 and locked my code to region 3. Thanks.

Gavin R.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
mobthdsl: It shouldn't be a problem - I think it is simply saying you have one more change left in the five you officially get.

glachhu: For drives other than the UJ-857 that this thread is about, please look here. If your drive is in the list, download the RPC1 firmware and you should be set to go.

irmongoose

glachhu

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
Back in Business

Thanks Irmongoose!

I flashed my drive with the DMP2 firmware and in less than a minute all was well again. I downloaded Region X to keep my player region free. Thanks again.

G.

kumkurdu

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
when i run DVD infoX state is PERMANENT
cant i flash my firmware???
i'm using tiger by the way

tinybruk

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2008
Update went ok

Thanks for all the info.

My iMac UJ-85J flashed ok and is now region free.

Thanks again

proutprout

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
SuperDrive Update 2.1 quit unexpectedly

Hello everyone,

I tried -desperately- to make my MacBook's dvd player region free using the
"UJ-857 HBEA region free firmware" but the SuperDrive Update 2.1 quit unexpectedly... I tried several times, reboot my MacBook and nothing... I checked and double check and I obviously chosen the correct update.
Does this ever happen to any of you?
Thanks

maxtor1977

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2008
Help with an firmware upgrade.

I dont know much about this, and the risk of perform an upgrade for the DVD to set region free.
I use the DVDinfoX and gave me these results.

Firmware: HAE4
RPC-2 (region locked)
State is PERMANENT
4 vendor resets left
0 region change left
Region 1

Ive already downloaded the HAEA firmware, i want to know if its safe to upgrade using this file HAEA to region free.
Please, help me with this, cause i dont want to mess it up.
Thanks.
Maxtor

bakert

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2008
proutprout - it may be some consolation to you to know that I am receiving the exact same error message as you over and over again on a MacBook where I have NOT run a region-free DVD update. :(

jcarloz75

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
Nothing happens

Hi, i have done all the above instructions step by step. But when i double click the icon of the Region Free Firmware simply nothing happens. Is there any screen that should appear or i just have to wait?? How Long?? I waited for 6 hours and then after my desperation i decided to restart my computer. I ran dvdInfoX again and the settings were the same that before, i tried inserting a DVD and worked ok. So i double click again for the Firmware, but still nothing happens. :confused: Does anybody have some idea about what is happening with my Macbook? My Lap is a MacBook with Intel processor, UJ-857 (HBEA). Thanks a lot.

transamazon

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
Drive won't flash

When I run Info x. This is what I get.

DVD Info X v1.0.2, by xvi (xvi@rpc1.org)

WARNING --- DVD Info X will only list DVD drives that have some WRITE
capabilities, like combos, DVD-R, DVD-RW, etc...
DVD-ROM-only drives will NOT be listed.
WARNING --- You also must eject any inserted medium to list the drive.

RPC-2 (region locked)
State is PERMANENT
4 vendor resets left
0 region change left
Region 1

When I try to flash the drive using the two apps ( the region free and the standard app) nothing happens. I tried installing them in reverse order but same results.

I would be really grateful for any advice you may have.

laurence000

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2006
Same here...

here are my DVD details:

Firmware: HBEA
RPC-2 (region locked)
State is SET
4 vendor resets left
3 region changes left
Region 2

I changed the systempversion.plist to 10.4.9 as I have 10.5.2. I tried to start the SuperDrive Update 2.1, it just says: This computer doesn'T need this update" and the only option is to close the package.

If I double-click on either HBEA to region free or HBEA to Standard, nothing happens, nothing appears.

I wonder waht is wrong. I hope we get an answer soon, it would be nice

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.