Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
When the iPhone 7 preorders were coming around I was still undecided on which Black color to go with and after seeing a few reviews on how the JB was easy to scratch blah blah I decided on ordering the MB model.

I received the MB model on 9/16 and got to see the JB in person in stores like the rest of you afterwards. It started to grow on me so I wanted one. I called up Apple to see if I could exchange the color but as most of you know the JB inventory was in limbo. My only option would have been to return the MB model within the 14 day window and have no phone (sold my 6+ already) until maybe November?

Yesterday I read a thread here saying that JB models were becoming available at different stores. I called Apple online store and explained the situation I was in. Apple being awesome at customer service made an exception and allowed me to return my MB 7+ for a full refund even though it was more than 14 days.

Here's where Apple customer service goes above and beyond. They located a store near me that had a JB 128GB 7+ Verizon model in stock. The Online store rep said they would put notes in my account that they gave me the ok to return the phone and that I could try and speak to the store manager to do an exchange. Fast forward a couple of hours I came home with a brand new 128GB JB 7+.

Another reason I stay loyal to Apple. Customer service is top notch!

TL;DR

Bought MB iPhone. Liked JB after seeing it in person. Apple was cool enough to let me exchange it even though it was more than 14 days (28 days to be exact)because they didn't have the JB model in stock in that window.

Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
When the iPhone 7 preorders were coming around I was still undecided on which Black color to go with and after seeing a few reviews on how the JB was easy to scratch blah blah I decided on ordering the MB model.

I received the MB model on 9/16 and got to see the JB in person in stores like the rest of you afterwards. It started to grow on me so I wanted one. I called up Apple to see if I could exchange the color but as most of you know the JB inventory was in limbo. My only option would have been to return the MB model within the 14 day window and have no phone (sold my 6+ already) until maybe November?

Yesterday I read a thread here saying that JB models were becoming available at different stores. I called Apple online store and explained the situation I was in. Apple being awesome at customer service made an exception and allowed me to return my MB 7+ for a full refund even though it was more than 14 days.

Here's where Apple customer service goes above and beyond. They located a store near me that had a JB 128GB 7+ Verizon model in stock. The Online store rep said they would put notes in my account that they gave me the ok to return the phone and that I could try and speak to the store manager to do an exchange. Fast forward a couple of hours I came home with a brand new 128GB JB 7+.

Another reason I stay loyal to Apple. Customer service is top notch!

TL;DR

Bought MB iPhone. Liked JB after seeing it in person. Apple was cool enough to let me exchange it even though it was more thn 14 days because they didnt have the JB model in stock in that window.

How many days past the return window?

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
Due to the rather astronomical prices we pay for Apple products, they end up with huge gross profits. It's how Apple became such a giant wealthy company. With profits sky high, they can easily afford to have great flexibility with returns. In addition they make themselves look good, especially since non business people simply believe Apples being kind. When a company charges as much as Apple does, it's easy to look like a hero.

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
So , if u were on the 14 day return period you can just exchange it if they had it on stock? No questions asked?

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
So , if u were on the 14 day return period you can just exchange it if they had it on stock? No questions asked?

Well, you have 14 days to return an item you purchased. In my case I didn't want to return the product just exchange it for another color. Again, because they did not have the color I wanted in stock in the 14 day window they made an exception for me which I appreciate. I paid for the phone in full up front so I'm sure it also made it easier to exchange.

Gzalito

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
I´m in the same situation, i got a matte black 2 days before (which i never opened btw) just when the JB where all over in stock, so I´m planning to ask for an exchange because of the colour. I wonder if I make a reservation through the IUP to secure the stock and then ask for the exchange phone in hand...

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
2nd experience I have read in the past few days that Apple complied even though it was past the return/exchange window.

Did you see the 1st one a day or so ago which lead you to try doing it?

Armen

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
2nd experience I have read in the past few days that Apple complied even though it was past the return/exchange window.

Did you see the 1st one a day or so ago which lead you to try doing it?

Initially I could not exchange the MB for a JB because Apple didn't have any models in stock. My only option would have been was to return the MB I bought and be without a phone until Apple got some in stock (November was the date I was provided).

I tried again a couple of days ago based on a thread here stating that some JB models were arriving in stores. I called Apple again and explained the situation and they made an exception for me because they had no stock 28 days ago when I wanted to do the exchange in the first place.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Two day ago, my local Apple Store allowed me to swap my jetblack 7 for a jetblack 7+.
I was 8 days over my 14 days window.

The guy at the Apple Store had to ask the Floormanager first, and he said it was okay, due to short supply of the jetblack iPhone 7 Plus

This kind of customer care / after sales could be a lesson for a lot of companies out there.

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
I'm giving this a shot today. Reserved the jet black for pick up during lunch. Will ask them for confirmation that it's okay to return mine and then I'll proceed with the purchase if so. Thanks for the tips OP!! I'm exactly two weeks out of my return window (purchased this outright on 10/18!)

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I had 'pre-ordered' a JB through Apple at 3AM and had an October ship date. I was able to find a MB in store the following week. A week and a half later, I received the JB since Apple couldn't cancel a 'preparing for shipment' order. I wasn't even tempted to keep it.

The JB attracts too many fingerprints for my liking and after a week or so, it ends up in a case anyway. At the end of the day, it's a phone, not a piece of artwork.

Congrats on getting the color you wanted though!

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
Update: I got lectured at the Apple Store by the manager. "Don't purchase products that you do not intend on keeping. The phone you are returning won't be resellable, do you know that? Please be mindful next time." They agreed to let me come in and exchange the phone after I've transferred all of my stuff over, but yeesh.. my bad.

Reactions: powerocool

Jaybird121

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2016
Update: I got lectured at the Apple Store by the manager. "Don't purchase products that you do not intend on keeping. The phone you are returning won't be resellable, do you know that? Please be mindful next time." They agreed to let me come in and exchange the phone after I've transferred all of my stuff over, but yeesh.. my bad.

Well you had better luck than me i just got back from terrible apple store experience in carlsbad. After finally being able to reserve a Jet Black after trying pretty much every day since i got it. i came into exchange my phone two weeks after recieving it in the mail i find out if you got it with ATT next you only have 13 days to exchange it and their hands were completely tied, yeah right!!!.... no where on apple.com did it say anything about that. guess I'm stuck with matte

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016

why does a retail store manager care if a phone is not resellable, all return products get shipped back anyways and they don't know what happens to them. I would write a email to corporate and complain about that. That person was just going on a power trip. I'd complain enough that he gets in trouble for treating you like that.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
why does a retail store manager care if a phone is not resellable, all return products get shipped back anyways and they don't know what happens to them. I would write a email to corporate and complain about that. That person was just going on a power trip. I'd complain enough that he gets in trouble for treating you like that.
Treating him like what? He did let him exchange the phone which he could obviously do being out of the 14 day window.

Why buy something you are not completely sure about just because you are impatient?

Reactions: Rina11

itsray

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2016
Treating him like what? He did let him exchange the phone which he could obviously do being out of the 14 day window.

Why buy something you are not completely sure about just because you are impatient?

its none of their business if he wants to buy something to use and returns it for what he really wants.

Reactions: Geert76

jasonisme

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015

I'm sure the store will take a hit for the returned phone as far as sales go. Also, a phone that someone else may have wanted is now not available.

Reactions: Rina11
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.