Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derDomi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Does anyone know, if I buy a new released MacBook Air today, will I receive a FREE Upgrade to Mavericks once it is released in fall?
Otherwise, I would just wait another more few month and get my MacBook Air once Mavericks has been released and comes with the device anyway.
Thanks for any advise!

ResPublica

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
No, not yet. Mavericks is still three to five months away.
When they announce a release date, they will also announce that all Macs bought some time before that date (about one month), will get a free upgrade when Mavericks is released. That was the case for Mountain Lion and Lion. They haven't yet announced an exact release date.

I would never postpone buying a new machine only for the OS (which only costs $20 and works on all other supported Macs you might have as well). If you want it now, go get it.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Does anyone know, if I buy a new released MacBook Air today, will I receive a FREE Upgrade to Mavericks once it is released in fall?
Unlikely. The up-to-date program is for the final release. Previews do not count. Only certain developers can download the final version for free (without a Mac-purchase).

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Otherwise, I would just wait another more few month and get my MacBook Air once Mavericks has been released and comes with the device anyway.
Thanks for any advise!

You might as well just buy the laptop now. Otherwise you're missing out on potentially 5 months of quality laptop time just to save $20 (I'm assuming Mavericks will cost $20 since that's what Mountain Lion costs).

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
You might as well just buy the laptop now. Otherwise you're missing out on potentially 5 months of quality laptop time just to save $20 (I'm assuming Mavericks will cost $20 since that's what Mountain Lion costs).
Those people who will wait 5 months to save the $20 makes it sound like they don't need a new computer at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.