Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benface

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
I am having the exact same problem ever since I upgraded to Mavericks. I thought I was the only one. I'm using a 2012 rMBP.

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
10.9.2 fixes it, sad to see such a bug go out to the public but at least take solace in the fact that sweet relief is coming soon.

20100B

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2014
Dropbox

For me it was dues to the dropbox appli/helper.
Once stopped the selector worked at a normal speed.

paulgodard

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
I had this problem since I installed Maverick on MacPro 2x 2.4 quad-core xeon with 28 Gb of RAM. I am now on 9.2.4 and the problem is even worst!

Are you still having the same problems?

I saw 2 solutions. Will they work in my case?

I use dropbox and I have a Sonnet 5-bay Fusion ext box with 3 drives in it as well as 4 internal drives in the Mac Pro. So I have 7 drives in total.

How to disable the dropbox appli/helper?

Was is the effect of commenting the line in auto_master?
#/net -hosts -nobrowse,hidefromfinder,nosuid

barnettgs

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Northern Ireland
Well, I think I have solved the sluggish of Maverick's finder.

From the internet, what I did was to go to Finder's Action button > View Option and deselect 'show icon preview'. Then click 'Use as Defaults'.

It is now as quick as it was in Snow Leopard!

techn9ne

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2014
Well, I think I have solved the sluggish of Maverick's finder.

From the internet, what I did was to go to Finder's Action button > View Option and deselect 'show icon preview'. Then click 'Use as Defaults'.

It is now as quick as it was in Snow Leopard!

Thanks for this. I thought I was crazy thinking this was an issue. Figured it was just my MBP acting up and being a nuisance. It mildly annoyed me for awhile but I found this thread and now it's like new! Excellent.

barnettgs

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2006
Northern Ireland
Thanks for this. I thought I was crazy thinking this was an issue. Figured it was just my MBP acting up and being a nuisance. It mildly annoyed me for awhile but I found this thread and now it's like new! Excellent.
Good.

Another thing I just found out that if I disabled 'show icon preview' in the Finder but 'All My Files' folder is not disabled at all, even though I set 'Use as Defaults'. It seemed to be independent of any Finder's viewing setting.

So you have to select 'All my files' folder and then disabled it again like you did for Finder. However, this folder does take a little while to show up as 75,000 files are in it but I have now removed 'All My Files' from Finder via Finder's preferences setting. It is not needed for me but is handy if you want to see the last files recently added.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.