Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I know this is also applicable to video, but because of the cabling aspect I see it as more relevant to audio.

I'm going to have a mini-dv camera with composite output... I want to know how far I can run composite cable before the signal loss renders the video unusable... Will I be able to get 100 ft? 200 ft? I know there are tons of variables, but I'm looking for an average.

Thanks

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
With analog, it doesn't drop all at once. The video will gradually get more and more noisy the longer a cable you use, but it's pretty subjective how much is too much. Not to mention, some cables will reject noise better than others. Eventually, the resistance of the cable will prevent a useful signal from getting through, but I suspect noise will be a much bigger issue. As to an exact number, it's REALLY hard to say. I can't imagine you having an issue with anything under 50ft, but I don't know how far is too far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.