Maxed USB, don't want to add HUB

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ErikAndre, Feb 16, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I need more USB ports, but want to add an internal component, like a PCI-E card (NOT a USB Hub). Call me crazy, but I just want a clean look, not an additional component. Does anyone have any recommendations? Does one even exist (?). I saw a PCI USB card at Office Depot & Best Buy, but I'm pretty sure that won't work. Am I wrong?

Thoughts?

Side note...
    I figured about now, in 2008, that machines would come with 6 USB ports (on the back) standard, considering everything is USB. Consumer Dell machines do it, so does HP and others... my $3000 Professional MP... 3 USB ports standard on the back.

2. macrumors regular

LeKiD

3. macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

4. macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

You're crazy. Utilize the beauty of USB and get a hub, for crying out loud. A new PCI-E card may require a driver (though unlikely). A hub won't. Just plug and play. Powered hubs are even better. USB ports on monitors are even better still.

jas

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

I know... I just also know that I will always need more than 3 USB connectors, so why not have an internal one.

Good call, but I don't need additional Firewire... if I were to get something internal, I would want it to have at least 4.

I did find this from OWC. It has five USB ports (4 external, 1 internal) and has confirmation to work with MacOS. Hmm...

6. macrumors 6502

Get an external monitor and it will probably have ports. That will keep it clean and it is easier to plug a flash drive into the monitor.