Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
I've got a pretty good music collection and never felt compelled to check out steaming music before, but with the free trial I want to give Apple Music a shot.

Here's the issue. I want it to play music that it thinks I will like, to see how "smart" it is. Given that, I can't find that button (for lack of a better term.) There are many playlists on page the "For You" tab, but they are 1)playlists, and thus finite and 2)mainly "Artist Deep tracks" or "Artist remixes," but I already have Artist in my library, so why do I need a playlist of suggested tracks? I thought it would take the info I gave when I created my account and start playing music based on that (and possibly (hopefully) my library).

So, I've been messing with it since last week and I can't figure out how to do this (I thought) simple thing - play random songs from this vast library that it thinks I'll like. Isn't this the whole point of the service?

Reactions: erikbailey

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think it's confusing too. The For You tab is exactly what you describe, not what you want. It's a place where you might find music you like, based on your preferences. What I think you're looking for is something more like Pandora...and that is Radio. Find an artist you like and start a station. As you spend time with that station, use the star to make Apple Music Radio smarter about your likes and dislikes.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Well I suggest using one of Apple's featured radio stations. Then use the Heart icon to indicate your likes. This would do suggestions in the For You and tracks for the station.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Been playing a radio station for a few days and hardly ever had to vote down what AM has been selecting. On top of that is I haven't heard lots of what has been selected and played. Thumbs up, Apple!

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
OK, so if I'm listening to songs I ripped from CD's that are in my library, does it matter if I click the "like" icon? Does that info transfer to the selections of the streaming service?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
OK, so if I'm listening to songs I ripped from CD's that are in my library, does it matter if I click the "like" icon? Does that info transfer to the selections of the streaming service?

Heart'ing any track will better tune tour apple music experience. There's an article on 9to5 mac on how it works.

malih

macrumors member
May 11, 2013
start a radio based on specific song/artist you like, start by searching/picking an artist or a song you like and from the (...) menu choose "Start Station"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.