Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
I didn't pay for it because I was busy and I'm not a boxing fan.

But who the **** do you think chose to pay $100?
The people who paid did.
Just because you think they shouldn't, doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to.

And what was their alternative? They didn't set the price and won't set the price on future fights.

Imagine you are an Arsenal fan and as a kid you went to every game. You grew up, got a job and continued to go to every game and your low paying job allowed it. Then, 20-30 years go by and ticket prices are ridiculously high. You have an importance to go to see your team play so you scrape the money together to get there. This is one example of sport not listening to fans and putting prices up whilst taking advantage of the supporters who just want to see their team play. Boxing is no different and it is a massive reason as to why it is dying out. This fight probably put a bigger nail than usual into it's coffin.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
And what was their alternative? They didn't set the price and won't set the price on future fights.

Imagine you are an Arsenal fan and as a kid you went to every game. You grew up, got a job and continued to go to every game and your low paying job allowed it. Then, 20-30 years go by and ticket prices are ridiculously high. You have an importance to go to see your team play so you scrape the money together to get there. This is one example of sport not listening to fans and putting prices up whilst taking advantage of the supporters who just want to see their team play. Boxing is no different and it is a massive reason as to why it is dying out. This fight probably put a bigger nail than usual into it's coffin.

Are you serious?
Alternative is to not watch the fight.
This is how buying and selling works.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
what's so insane about people paying to watch sports?
do you think boxers are the only rich athletes?

Let me introduce you to these names: Tiger Woods, LeBron James, Michael Jordan, Tom Brady, etc.

Mayweather just earned 180 MILLION in ONE fight

A-Rod by comparison signed the largest baseball deal of all time (until this year) and that was 275 million over 10 YEARS

These guys are much richer

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT

You don't have an importance to anything sports team. Sure everyone wants to go to a game but when you can't afford it you don't go. Plenty of people have been priced out of tickets that they used to be able to afford.

People that bought tickets to see that fight could afford to go. The cheap seats started at $3000. Ringside was in the $100,000 and up range.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Are you serious?
Alternative is to not watch the fight.
This is how buying and selling works.

I understand how it works but it doesn't make it fair. It pushes out true fans who can't afford to follow their sport for the band wagon hoppers. Do you think HBO have boxing a best interests at heart? There is very little value in the world today but some companies have a license to blatantly rip off sports fans. A fan doesn't stop being a fan because they are being pushed to pay ridiculous costs. Maybe you don't follow a sport and don't really relate to these things but it's not the same as buying a TV or a car.

----------

You don't have an importance to anything sports team. Sure everyone wants to go to a game but when you can't afford it you don't go. Plenty of people have been priced out of tickets that they used to be able to afford.

People that bought tickets to see that fight could afford to go. The cheap seats started at $3000. Ringside was in the $100,000 and up range.

When true fans have to make way for glory hunter newcomers due to price inflation, it's not ok. I never said anyone has a right to a sports ticket but it's the fans devoted to their team/sport that built these things and are all that will keep them alive. Boxing is practically dead because of this.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
lmfao based on what do you say this?

Based on the fact that there only so many hours in the week and the fact that reputation and willingness to say 'yes' are key factors in how much a CEO earns. Does a financial consultant work harder than a surgeon at a public hospital or have the same level of skill required to do their job? Does Wayne Rooney actually play harder than a player in a team at the bottom of the table or have 20 times as much skill?

His club pay him what they have been able to get out of the fans and TV companies. The TV companies make a fortune regardless of how much they pay the clubs because of how much they can milk out of the fans of these clubs. There is no value in it anymore. You pay what's asked of you. A bank CEO can be paid stupid amounts of money for similar reasons. The bank has fleeced customers for fees, interest rates, fees, consultations, fees and fees. Do you ever look at a bank fee and think 'yeah that seems fair?'.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Based on the fact that there only so many hours in the week and the fact that reputation and willingness to say 'yes' are key factors in how much a CEO earns. Does a financial consultant work harder than a surgeon at a public hospital or have the same level of skill required to do their job? Does Wayne Rooney actually play harder than a player in a team at the bottom of the table or have 20 times as much skill?

His club pay him what they have been able to get out of the fans and TV companies. The TV companies make a fortune regardless of how much they pay the clubs because of how much they can milk out of the fans of these clubs. There is no value in it anymore. You pay what's asked of you. A bank CEO can be paid stupid amounts of money for similar reasons. The bank has fleeced customers for fees, interest rates, fees, consultations, fees and fees. Do you ever look at a bank fee and think 'yeah that seems fair?'.

CEOs and the shareholders seem okay with the pay.
Why are you complaining?
You had nothing to do with their pay.

----------

lmfao based on what do you say this?

Lol it's pretty hilarious nonsense huh?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
CEOs and the shareholders seem okay with the pay.
Why are you complaining?
You had nothing to do with their pay.

----------

What? Where do you think the money comes from? Customers. I guess it would seem like non sense to you if you don't see where the money is coming from.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
What? Where do you think the money comes from? Customers. I guess it would seem like non sense to you if you don't see where the money is coming from.

You have no right to determine anyone's salary.
If you want to change it then become the largest shareholder of the company.
The company does not answer to you.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
You have no right to determine anyone's salary.
If you want to change it then become the largest shareholder of the company.
The company does not answer to you.

I never said I did. If I did, trust me there would be changes. But my opinion on how much someone can earn shouldn't eat at you the way it has. Your potential earnings are not affected. But wake up to reality. Most things you spend your money on don't give you value for your coin. That's because of how much companies overrate their products/services.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
I never said I did. If I did, trust me there would be changes. But my opinion on how much someone can earn shouldn't eat at you the way it has. Your potential earnings are not affected. But wake up to reality. Most things you spend your money on don't give you value for your coin. That's because of how much companies overrate their products/services.

Lol.
That's just your opinion--an extreme one at that.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Lol.
That's just your opinion--an extreme one at that.

Really? Those MGM tickets were fair priced were they? Or the PPV? Or your smart phone? Keep living in the dark mate. The divide between the rich and poor is growing at ridiculous speeds. Does that mean that we have more geniuses or our CEO's are far far superior than they were 10 years ago?

Your naivety is not uncommon.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
Mayweather v Pacquiao fight

Really? Those MGM tickets were fair priced were they? Or the PPV? Or your smart phone? Keep living in the dark mate. The divide between the rich and poor is growing at ridiculous speeds. Does that mean that we have more geniuses or our CEO's are far far superior than they were 10 years ago?

Your naivety is not uncommon.

Yes, they were absolutely fair, because the event was sold out.
Smartphone, once again, totally fair price.

Also why are we even talking about fair?
Who decides if something is fair or not fair and when it is not fair, what do you want to do about it? If you think it's a problem, propose a solution that is reasonable.

Naïveté?
What the **** are you talking about?
Get the hell out of here.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Yes, they were absolutely fair, because the event was sold out.
Smartphone, once again, totally fair price.

Also why are we even talking about fair?
Who decides if something is fair or not fair and when it is not fair, what do you want to do about it? If you think it's a problem, propose a solution that is reasonable.

Naïveté?
What the **** are you talking about?
Get the hell out of here.

You're definitely getting way too upset over this.

You don't sound like a fan of a sport or team and so I can't see how you could understand paying affordable prices for events only to see them go through the roof for the sake of massaging some prima donnas ego with a massive salary increase. Sports are being taken over by day trippers, glory hunters and band wagon hoppers. Just because there are people willing to pay the price doesn't mean they are fair prices. Some people have far more money than sense. HBO know this as does Fox, Arsenal FC and even Apple. Set the price, market it as a premium event/product, people will ignore the cost of build or the $180 million one guy will get for NOT fighting. It's the real fans of sports that suffer.

Yes, you are naive and quite a bit as far as I can see.

SHNXX

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2013
You're definitely getting way too upset over this.

You don't sound like a fan of a sport or team and so I can't see how you could understand paying affordable prices for events only to see them go through the roof for the sake of massaging some prima donnas ego with a massive salary increase. Sports are being taken over by day trippers, glory hunters and band wagon hoppers. Just because there are people willing to pay the price doesn't mean they are fair prices. Some people have far more money than sense. HBO know this as does Fox, Arsenal FC and even Apple. Set the price, market it as a premium event/product, people will ignore the cost of build or the $180 million one guy will get for NOT fighting. It's the real fans of sports that suffer.

Yes, you are naive and quite a bit as far as I can see.

Okay, mr mature, what is your solution?
Instead of complaining, propose your solution.

Also that's dr for you. Maybe a naive one.
Thanks.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Now reports say Mayweather is willing to go out on a "second date" with Pacquiao. ツ

fight.jpg

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Okay, mr mature, what is your solution?
Instead of complaining, propose your solution.

Also that's dr for you. Maybe a naive one.
Thanks.

Did you just request to be called Dr on an internet forum?

I find it interesting that you are asking for a solution to a problem you don't recognise. How about you answer the questions I asked you in previous posts first?

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009

Wow, do you really think an employee and a CEO do the same value of work? hours don't mean anything

yep

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.