Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Currently in a situation where I can get a MacBook either with 1.3ghz M7 and 256GB SSD (Apple) or a 1.2ghz and 512GB SSD (Best Buy).

The 1.2Ghz M5 with 512GB is a deal from Best Buy where I can get it for 1499 with the edu. Discount plus I have $110 in reward certificates so it comes out to 1476 w/taxes out the door

The 1.3ghz M7 with 256GB I need to order build from Apple for 1577 w/ taxes but I get a pair of Beats wireless 2.0 headphones (I already have a pair of wireless studios) I would most likely end up selling the headphones or mine depending which I get more money from but I suspect 150 or so (minus the fees they take upon sale) since there will be a saturation on selling websites.

I mainly use this for school work (notes, writing papers, research), email, messaging, web surfing, Apple Music, and some photo editing. Most of my data is on iCloud Drive which I have a 200gb subscription for, hence why I question if I need the 512gb, but do I need the .1 ghz increase in processing? What is your opinion on what is more beneficial? Or is the M3 a candidate? -.-

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
I say get the one with the larger storage. I have noticed that people value storage space more than processing power. You'll get a bit more for it should you decide to sell it in the future.

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
I'd go for the m5 version from Best Buy. The opinions I've read around the forums is that the m5 is a similar experience to the m7. The extra storage would most likely be a better value for you than the slight speed increase of the m7. Plus, you wouldn't have to hassle with selling those headphones.

mlovergaard

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2011
New York City
Dammn that does sound pretty good! Is their anything else that the new M series has on the previous? 2016 M5 1.2 vs. 2015 M7 1.3

I understand the GPU is better on the 2016

I just bought this one from B&H and spoke with someone at Apple before making the purchase. She told me that while you will notice a speed improvement, this deal is really good, and unless you are doing something where you really need power, the chances are you will not really notice the difference.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I also took advantage of this deal two weeks ago & am loving it so far. I bought it as a second computer. The deal was too good to pass up. I had been looking at a second computer (my wife & I shared one before this, and then just used iPads if we needed to do something when the other person was using the computer, but that was getting to be a hassle) and would have gotten a larger hard drive if I were building my dream machine, but this one was such a good deal that I couldn't pass it up. I bought it to go with our Maxed out (except it has the 512 SSD, not the 768) Early 2013 Retina Macbook Pro 13".

I fully anticipated giving the 12" to my wife & keeping the Pro for myself, assuming this would be slower (as the benchmarks show). The 12" has been perfect for all of my needs so far, and I ended up giving her the Pro. I have pretty normal use cases, and don't do much that taxes the processor (mostly office, email, web, iTunes, iPhoto, Quicken) but so far I can't really tell a difference between the two computers. There have been a few times (and I do mean just a few, maybe twice a week) when the 12" will take a second to start doing something (almost like it freezes for a split second), or I get a spinning beach ball, but I have that on the Pro too, so I haven't noticed any performance changes. The first day it was slow, as it downloaded/uploaded everything via wifi (iPhoto library, dropbox, apps, etc), but when I tried it again on day two, it's been indistinguishable from the other machine. The only thing I wish it had was the larger hard drive. I didn't install Parallels on this machine (it's still on the Pro for those few times when I need it) and I set my iPhoto to optimize storage on the 12" whereas I have it set to download all photos to the Pro. But those are the only two compromises I had to make.

My uses are a lot like yours, the only thing I can't comment on is the photo editing. I usually just dump mine into iPhoto with no editing.

The bigger hard drive and the 2016 models are both nice features, but so is paying $500 less for the machine. In the end, this model has been great for me.

One more thing to note: B&H Photo doesn't have the 14 day return policy. So if you buy this one, it's yours. It didn't stop me, but figured I'd mention it as an FYI.

If you want a deal, B&H photo has last year's M7 for $999, which is $550 off and no tax for most people.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137882-REG/apple_z0rm_mjy321_12_macbook_early_2015.html

Last edited:

richardamp

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
Dammn that does sound pretty good! Is their anything else that the new M series has on the previous? 2016 M5 1.2 vs. 2015 M7 1.3

I understand the GPU is better on the 2016
Any minor updates certainly don't justify paying an extra $550. This deal is amazing and I would do it versus paying over 50% more for essentially the same computer. I just got this deal and the computer is great and very fast so far.

Supertaff

macrumors member
May 20, 2014
Have you looked at there Apple refurb store? I buy all my apple gear from there, warranty and quality all the same, just the previous generation model. I bought a MB 12 with 256GB, 1.1 Ghz of there a couple of weeks back for £749. I was going to get a bigger hard drive version to begin with, but as I have 1TB cloud storage from OneDrive, I store most no essential stuff in the cloud and selective synch.

gui0312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Well I had just seen the Best Buy weekly ad and it states an additional 150.00 off MacBooks , with the college deals (I am in college) the email that they send you for the deals only has a 100.00 off MacBooks. Though it shows it expires 8/6 , That would make the deal more appealing to me considering I can finance it for 18 months with them too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.