Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Why not DVI>HDMI?

Converting VGA to HDMI would be very expensive, since you need equipment to convert the analog RGB signal to digital. Just use a DVI>HDMI cable.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Why not DVI>HDMI?

Converting VGA to HDMI would be very expensive, since you need equipment to convert the analog RGB signal to digital. Just use a DVI>HDMI cable.

Because the DVI out on the MB is a weird connection. And I cant find a DVI to HDMI with a connector that fits my MB.

Also why is Apple charging £75 for a cable when the rest of the net is charging £14.99?

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Is there any such thing as Mini-DVI (remember the OP is talking about a MacBook) to HDMI connector? Not on the Apple online store anyway.

The nearest thing s/he could use is the Mini-DVI -> S-Video/Composite connector.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Because the DVI out on the MB is a weird connection. And I cant find a DVI to HDMI with a connector that fits my MB.
You just need the mini-DVI to DVI adapter from Apple. That just converts the smaller port into the larger one, same wiring. Then just a stock-standard DVI -> HDMI cable will be fine.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
No, DVI > HDMI would be the easiest. There's no need to go digital > analog and back to digital again.

S-video would look like liquid ass.

hence why i thought S-Video would be easiest. its a mini-DVI port on the MB, and i don't think apple has a straight HDMI adapter for it that i know of.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
You need this

and this

Though you can get a cheaper DVI to HDMI cable on other sites. I have used the combo to hook my girlfriends Macbook to my TV, works great.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
You just need the mini-DVI to DVI adapter from Apple. That just converts the smaller port into the larger one, same wiring. Then just a stock-standard DVI -> HDMI cable will be fine.

Ooh that would make sense. Im still getting used to all these frickin connectors. Youd think there would be one standard connector. :rolleyes:

So I need a miniDVI to DVI then a DVI to HDMI unless my TV has DVI which I am about to check. :D

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
It has a shed load of connectors for loads of stuff. Even a freakin card reader :cool: I think I will stick with DVI to HDMI :D

Thanks

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Whats this guy going on about? Its a review of Belkins DVI to HDMI cable on Apples UK Store. Has he just got a **** TV or what?

"Oh sure, you get a picture, but it won't fit your television screen properly. This is because the graphics cards in Apple Macs are not HDMI compatible.

You can download some very complicated software that will help you adjust the screen, but this means hours of configuring it, rebooting your Mac, then looking to see how much of the display is missing, ad infinitum.

But, due to a technical limitation in OS X, you will never get the bottom 12 pixels of the display to show, no matter what you do. This means the bottom of the dock will be off the bottom of the screen, so you won't see those little arrows that tell you whether a program is running or not.

I advise you forget this item and use a decent VGA cable (or DVI if your TV supports it)."

:confused:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whats this guy going on about? Its a review of Belkins DVI to HDMI cable on Apples UK Store. Has he just got a **** TV or what?
<snip>

:confused:

He appears to be whinging about Overscan which all TVs do (and will result in bits of the picture going off screen). It's nothing to do with the graphics cards or hardware limitations or HDMI compatibility. Newer good TVs can turn overscan off.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I just did VGA -> LCD TV with a separate 3.5mm -> RCA cable for audio. I did have to use SwitchResX and do a slight bit of fiddling to get the native resolution to work. But my screen is fairly intelligent about all of this -- if I send 1024x768 to my TV it automatically stretches to fit the screen, for instance. It's not so bad. If you do have to use SwitchResX, we can help you figure it out. ;)

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
I just did VGA -> LCD TV with a separate 3.5mm -> RCA cable for audio. I did have to use SwitchResX and do a slight bit of fiddling to get the native resolution to work. But my screen is fairly intelligent about all of this -- if I send 1024x768 to my TV it automatically stretches to fit the screen, for instance. It's not so bad. If you do have to use SwitchResX, we can help you figure it out. ;)

I dont think my TV or MB has VGA?

Im gonna stick with DVI - HDMI. (i think) :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I dont think my TV or MB has VGA?

Im gonna stick with DVI - HDMI. (i think) :D

No, no, I'm not suggesting you use VGA. Use DVI as has been said in other posts. I'm just saying that if you do need to use software to correct for problems with getting the TV to adopt the right screen resolution, it's not that hard to do.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
No, no, I'm not suggesting you use VGA. Use DVI as has been said in other posts. I'm just saying that if you do need to use software to correct for problems with getting the TV to adopt the right screen resolution, it's not that hard to do.

I scheee :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.