Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mr jnvii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
So, I've been absolutely impressed with the battery my MBA 13". It gets almost 5 hours on a charge while multitasking, watching videos, etc...and without wifi and dimmed down I got nearly 8 hours.

A few weeks ago I installed VMWare Fusion 4 and W7 on it, and it just seems that ever since I did that, the battery life has been severely cut. I'm interested if anyone else has this issue. I can't imagine it being VMWare, but I don't know. So I'm asking!

ALSO!!! This battery life decrease is NOT when I'm using the VM. It's OFF.

Does anyone know what could cause a sudden decrease in battery life, if not this?

Thanks in advance!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
So, I've been absolutely impressed with the battery my MBA 13". It gets almost 5 hours on a charge while multitasking, watching videos, etc...and without wifi and dimmed down I got nearly 8 hours.

A few weeks ago I installed VMWare Fusion 4 and W7 on it, and it just seems that ever since I did that, the battery life how been severely cut. I'm interested if anyone else has this issue. I can't imagine it being VMWare, but I don't know. So I'm asking!
There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

1. Launch Activity Monitor
  2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
  3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
  4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
  5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
  6. Post your screenshots.

mr jnvii

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 12.28.55 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2012-08-10 at 12.31.00 PM.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.