Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kayla90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
My MacBook Air 2015 was shipped to a company for repairs and now it appears to have a MBA 2015 serial number!
The Apple website does not recognise any of the serial numbers. Has my logic board been swapped without my permission?
The specs still say 1.8GHz Dual Core i5, but I don't think any of the 2015 MacBook Airs were 1.8GHz?

How can I revert my MBA back to its original serial number?

Please help :(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You said that you shipped your MBAir for repairs. What kind of repairs?
I would expect that if a business needed to replace your logic board, that business would have included that information as part of the repair. A third-party repair shop might have a replacement (used) logic board, which would include a different serial number. Some shops might be able to clear the original serial number, and burn your original serial number to the replacement logic board. An Apple-authorized service shop would know how to do that.

You can enter the serial number (as reported in your System Information utility) in a third-party site, which should give you information about the configuration of the MBAir that matches with that serial number.
This site is one that I use quite often: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

Kayla90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
You said that you shipped your MBAir for repairs. What kind of repairs?
I would expect that if a business needed to replace your logic board, that business would have included that information as part of the repair. A third-party repair shop might have a replacement (used) logic board, which would include a different serial number. Some shops might be able to clear the original serial number, and burn your original serial number to the replacement logic board. An Apple-authorized service shop would know how to do that.

You can enter the serial number (as reported in your System Information utility) in a third-party site, which should give you information about the configuration of the MBAir that matches with that serial number.
This site is one that I use quite often: https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

It was to remove a Firmware password. I just entered the serial number to the link you have provided which comes up with this MBA MacBook Air "Core i7" 2.2 13" (Early 2015)

I find this super confusing, is it not possible to somehow revert back to its original serial number?
[automerge]1583660127[/automerge]
You're title says you had a 2017 air which has a 1.8 GHz cpu. The 2015 has a 1.6 GHz cpu which is the air you shipped?
Mine is a 2017 MBA but now it thinks its a 2015 MBA. No clue how this is possible but just want my MBA to have it's original serial number.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
It was to remove a Firmware password. I just entered the serial number to the link you have provided which comes up with this MBA MacBook Air "Core i7" 2.2 13" (Early 2015)

I find this super confusing, is it not possible to somehow revert back to its original serial number?
[automerge]1583660127[/automerge]

Mine is a 2017 MBA but now it thinks its a 2015 MBA. No clue how this is possible but just want my MBA to have it's original serial number.

One would suspect the repairer was unable to remove the firmware password or damaged your MBA's logic board in the process, so they used spare parts. The 2015/2017 are functionally identical (MBA 7,2)

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
One would suspect the repairer was unable to remove the firmware password or damaged your MBA's logic board in the process, so they used spare parts. The 2015/2017 are functionally identical (MBA 7,2)
Are you sure about that? MacTracker says that a 2015 MBA has a i5 1.6GHz CPU, and the 2017 has a i5 1.8 GHz. I'd take it to Apple and confirm.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Are you sure about that? MacTracker says that a 2015 MBA has a i5 1.6GHz CPU, and the 2017 has a i5 1.8 GHz. I'd take it to Apple and confirm.

The only differences between the 2015 and 2017 models were the processors inside, much like they were both configurable to a 2.2GHz i7 - same internals except for the processor. The 2017 MBA was a minor spec bump.

OP says that system report still shows a 1.8GHz Dual Core i5.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Was the repair done by an authorized Apple dealer? I'm asking because authorized Apple repair centres where I live won't remove the password without proof of purchase and the password is removed by Apple by entering an unlock code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.