1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

MBA Build to Order Options

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by hellomms, Oct 24, 2012.

1. hellomms, Oct 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

macrumors regular

13" rMBP is a disappointment - IMHO. Thinking of getting MBA instead (my first Mac). Not sure what configuration I should go for - primarily to get 3-4 good performance years out of it. Here are the options:

- upgrade base to i7 and 8gb ram ~ $1699
    - upgrade base to i7 only ~ $1599
    - upgrade base to 8gb ram only ~ $1299
    - don't upgrade and get 4gb w/ i5 base (as it may be an obsolete in 3 years) ~ $1199

PS: I don't plan to play games, I would be using it for studying and general computing, browsing, etc. though I had heard that the new OSX was causing some lag in certain MacBooks.

2. macrumors 6502

Base to 8gb if you want to future proof although 4gb shoud be more than adequate for browsing and general computing.

3. macrumors 6502

Upgrade base to 8gb RAM - 1299$

4. macrumors regular

I'm in college and want to carry light. First macbook and currently using a 11" netbook. I just ordered the 13" 2.8 i5 8gb/128ssd.

5. macrumors 6502

cMBP?

6. macrumors regular

Oops. The air I ordered. Rmbp is too much to pay since I'm in college.

7. macrumors 6502a

Air max out at 2.0GHZ...not 2.8

8. macrumors 6502

Ahh, that makes more sense

9. macrumors regular

I got the 1.8ghz. Sorry for the typo.

10. macrumors 6502

Just ordered the base with 8gb RAM. It seems to increase delivery time by a week?

11. macrumors 6502

In order of priority I would say:

1) Increase RAM to 8Gb

2) Increase SSD to 256Gb

3) Increase CPU to 2Ghz i7

The CPU bump is probably the least important for most people. I went for all three, though :D

----------

Its worth it

12. macrumors 6502

I know! Although those upgrades are expensive! :). That's why I only upgraded the ram. So just to save some bucks I'll have to do with 128gb - thank god for Dropbox :)

13. oxfordguy, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

macrumors 6502

Indeed, and at least with the 2012 MBA you can connect external discs with USB 3.0, which is *way* faster than USB 2.0. The RAM is not possible to extend at all, though, so is the priority over SSD capacity, if you have to make a choice.

If you do need more storage space, this new G-Tech USB 3.0 drive is nice (and pretty cheap): http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-slim.cfm

(BTW USB 2.0 versions of this drive are still on sale in some places, so if you go for this drive, make sure its a USB 3.0 one!)

14. macrumors regular

What and when I am facing if I dont upgrade?

I got $200 Amazon GC and wont have to pay tax either - unfortunately Amazon doesnt have a 8gb version.

15. macrumors 6502

Honestly, I would just buy the non-upgraded at Amazon. But it depends on your financial situation. Money is a focus point for me, so a 200$ saving would be nice. If you do heavy tasking then you might have to plunge for a upgrade, but if you're normal user then don't

16. macrumors member

If there is a deal that can save you some money, go for it. I got mine on sale but I wasn't able to upgrade the RAM.

17. macrumors regular

I think I might have to stick with 4gb since Amazon doesnt carry anything other than the base model.

18. macrumors member

Go for it, you won't regret your decision. I love my 2012 Air!