Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vairamuthu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Joburg
This morning my MBA frozen at the startup screen.

I couldn't restart in safe mode.
NVRAM reset doesn't fix the issue
In recovery mode i didn't find any issue on the disk
Tried re-install the sierra and again the system frozen at the startup screen.

Planning to create bootable USB and install the OS again.

Any other idea's guys?

Thanks

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Could be different problems such as bad ram or ssd.

If installing the OS to the internal drive doesn't work, try installing and running the OS off an external drive.

Vairamuthu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Joburg
Could be different problems such as bad ram or ssd.

If installing the OS to the internal drive doesn't work, try installing and running the OS off an external drive.

@Audit13 - I have installed the SIERRA on my external hard disk using the CMD+R option and it worked.

This means - Do i have issue with my SSD disk. I partitioned the SSD into 2 partition. Can i try formating one of the partition and try installing the OS ?

what would you suggest ?

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I suggest deleting all partitions and installing Sierra. If that fixes the problem, that's great. If it doesn't, try an replacement sad. I think the 2011 air uses an msata drive which is not too expensive.

Vairamuthu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Joburg
I will try deleting the partition and install sierra. Mine is 2011 mid MBA which have SSD.

Hope there is nothing wrong with the SSD :(

Vairamuthu

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2013
Joburg
I suggest deleting all partitions and installing Sierra. If that fixes the problem, that's great. If it doesn't, try an replacement sad. I think the 2011 air uses an msata drive which is not too expensive.

Thanks a mill Audit13..

After i formatted my partition and installed the sierra and it works perfectly. It used to complain about the batter and it says battery is normal :).

Couldn't pin point what went wrong though.

I am guessing : My kid switched off when the system was busy installing some OS updates.. That could possibly corrupted the OS and file system.

Enjoy your holidays buddy...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.