Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MDTyKe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Hawaii, USA
I have an issue with my MBA where it often crashes out of sleep, e.g. I can walk away for 10 minutes, come back, and when I tap the keyboard, it'll turn on for 1/2 second then completely crash dead so I have to restart. Of note, it ONLY happens when it's on battery. When plugged in - all is OK.

The nearest Apple Store is a plane ride away, so I took it to my local Apple Authorized Repair center and they were able to see the issue when I showed them They replaced a few sensors, and then also replaced the logic board, which in effect wiped everything... sadly, the issue remains.

It's now shipped off to big Apple, and apparently they've come back with "no issue found" As the issue is intermittent, it's hard to replicate - but I notice if I open and close the lid repeatedly, it'll almost always completely crash out around the 5th time. Note, the issue even occurs in Recovery Mode, so doesn't appear to be software related.

At this point, what should my plan of action be? My laptop is basically unusable at a coffee shop etc, which is important to me - because this happens at least once a day. I'm not sure why Apple can't replicate it, but I do wonder if the tech note to Apple that the Authorized Repair Center made was detailed enough, i.e. that it must be on battery power.

How do I fight this more? Videos? I'm a bit lost.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Sell it or give to charity, donate to local school
Study the logs and try to diagnose yourself.
Replace battery may have faulty connections or sensor.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Whats the crash logs look like? I get you dont think its software but my M2 Air use to crash like this randomly. Completely blew it away and reinstalled MacOS and installed everything fresh. PITA but honestly was worth the 2 hours. Hasnt crashed since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.