Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your MBA attracting more attention than your previous notebook?

• Total voters

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Let's all be honest now, we're not in this for osx, build, the untouchable trackpad, the battery and certainly not because its specs render it perfectly usable for everyday tasks at a fraction of the weight and size of similarly-specced notebooks.

We're in this because of the wow. Genetically this thing is purer than Eve. Aesthetic bombshell. Given the faculty, it'd espouse nothing but world peace. If i ever choose to pass by mine own hand, I need no blade other than Zeus's own 0.11" taper.

We revel in the fact that the MBA opens programs faster than any netbook can ever dream of. But our hearts are contented fifty-fold if a stranger passes but one compliment.

Feeling a little guilty, maybe exposed? Don't be. Our largely culturally-driven aesthetic desires aren't entirely maladaptive. The MBA and many Apple products are social devices. They can literally generate interaction. Heck Jobs himself in a recent keynote mentioned something about getting a email from a guy who thanked him for inventing the iPad as he met his gf after it got her attention.

So tell us about the interest you're receiving towards your MBAs, new or old, and in what setting :)

My old MBA got quite a lot of attention, mainly at airporst (I don't do the Mac-Starbucking-rimmed glasses thing). Specific anecdotes as I remember them.

I've included a poll as to whether or not your MBA is generating more interest than your previous notebook for both 11" and 13" models.

hobbes203

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2010
Admiration from those who sit really close to me in class. Otherwise, unless I obnoxiously carry my MBA without the case and proclaim its thinness, people think it looks like a MBP.

EDIT:

This is coming from the 13", I'm pretty sure if anyone saw the 11" they would say, "That thing is cute"

zartemis

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2010
I have the 11" and it hasn't yet attracted any unsolicited comments. However, my 9" Dell Mini always does. It attracted lots of comments when I got it 2 years ago and even today it rarely fails to elicit "what is that!?" from someone and they are always astonished it is running full Windows and is so fast (most folks haven't yet had a computer with an SSD).

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
When I whip my rigid 13" out in Starbucks the ladies definitely notice.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Let's all be honest now

Speak for yourself.

I could care less what others think of the _computer_ I use.

In my life it's a tool, not a fashion accessory or something to boost my ego.

I'm just fine thank you.

This "look at me and my cool mac stuff" is nothing but childish BS in my opinion. It's the stuff of insecure, immature people.

Fanboys need to get a life.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Let's all be honest now, we're not in this for osx, build, the untouchable trackpad, the battery.......

Best honest with your own self and please only speak for yourself, don't make this about everybody. OP, I know you're excited over your new MBA, but your post is one the main reasons why people think Mac users are elitist douchebags. Get real, nobody's gawking at your MBA like you think they are, it's in your mind. It's the same situation when a woman buys an expensive Louis Vuitton handbag, she walks into the coffee house thinking everyone in the place will gawk at her bag and she's secretly hoping somebody will tell her how beautiful it is and ask her about it. It ain't gonna happen, because not everybody is interested in a Louis Vuitton bag regardless how much money you spent.
Not everybody is into computers and not everybody cares that you have the coolest new Macbook. I'm buying the 11.6" for business reasons. My work involves daily travel to see clients and a small form factor Mac like the Air is perfect for that. And speak for yourself, I buy all my Macs because of OS X, period. :p

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
Speak for yourself.

I could care less what others think of the _computer_ I use.

In my life it's a tool, not a fashion accessory or something to boost my ego.

I'm just fine thank you.

This "look at me and my cool mac stuff" is nothing but childish BS in my opinion. It's the stuff of insecure, immature people.

Fanboys need to get a life.
Thing is though, a lot of the positive aspects of my personality is something I owe to this machine.

How can I explain it, ok when you don't have supportive parents to instill enough self-esteem, you have to forage it elsewhere right? Some people find it through a good family network, some find it through competence/success in their profession, some find it philosophically contemplating the practical sequelae of their increased nitrogenous tissue as they study their purple-veined bicep (no gear, we're cool).

I dunno, it appears that in an ironic existential twist my personal human deficiencies are eased with Apple corporate produce. If I own this lofty and celebrated configuration of silicone and aluminium then surely I'm a worthy person, right? In that way, Jobs is kinda my dad, if you see what I mean :)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Thing is though, a lot of the positive aspects of my personality is something I owe to this machine.

How can I explain it, ok when you don't have supportive parents to instill enough self-esteem, you have to forage it elsewhere right? Some people find it through a good family network, some find it through competence/success in their profession, some find it philosophically contemplating the practical sequelae of their increased nitrogenous tissue as they study their purple-veined bicep (no gear, we're cool).

I dunno, it appears that in an ironic existential twist my personal human deficiencies are eased with Apple corporate produce. If I own this lofty and celebrated configuration of silicone and aluminium then surely I'm a worthy person, right? In that way, Jobs is kinda my dad, if you see what I mean :)

Either you're kidding or this is sad, just sad.:cool:

gman901

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I was teaching a friend of mine how to use his new 11" MBA at the bar and a lady walks up smiling and asking my friend about his Air. She said she was thinking about getting one for her husband. She then proceeded to grab his laptop to see how light it was. My friend kind of freaked because she asked if she could pick it up at the same time that she grabbed it.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA

Yikes, if you have to make up for parental problems through product aesthetics, I think you may have bigger problems than just self-esteem :eek:

Gomff

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2009
Much better. I just notice that a lot of people seem to make this particular 'typo' - both when typing and speaking, which is really very strange for a typo. I'm beginning to expect it's something more.

Check out my sig....I see it on these forums a lot, and even had folks say that either could or couldn't means the same thing, which is strange....I don't really understand it. More "then" instead of more "than" is another one that doesn't add up but hey ho.

It doesn't annoy me so much as make me wonder how these expressions have become common parlance.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I was teaching a friend of mine how to use his new 11" MBA at the bar and a lady walks up smiling and asking my friend about his Air. She said she was thinking about getting one for her husband. She then proceeded to grab his laptop to see how light it was. My friend kind of freaked because she asked if she could pick it up at the same time that she grabbed it.

Haha, nice, that's pretty much the number 1 request (or sometimes demand!) when they see the MBA. There's a compulsion to lift it up and down.

During a long-haul night flight I was typing away on my MBA with the backlit keys and I noticed people who were walking around stretching their legs hover around my seat, initially behind me, just gazing it. That led to a conversation, demonstration of the marvels the trackpad and multi finger swipe, and essentially me being a salesman for Apple, with the afterburners on, I mean I went Scottsdale on them, even convinced them they didn't actually need more than 2 GB of ram!

2 said they were convinced and would immediately swap their current notebook for the MBA. Also led to general social exchanges with the usual swapping of business cards and open invites to our respective countries that are rarely invoked :)

TxMacAddict

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2008

This is pretty entertaining :D Thanks for posting.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Let's all be honest now, we're not in this for osx, build, the untouchable trackpad, the battery and certainly not because its specs render it perfectly usable for everyday tasks at a fraction of the weight and size of similarly-specced notebooks.

We're in this because of the wow. Genetically this thing is purer than Eve. Aesthetic bombshell. Given the faculty, it'd espouse nothing but world peace. If i ever choose to pass by mine own hand, I need no blade other than Zeus's own 0.11" taper.

We revel in the fact that the MBA opens programs faster than any netbook can ever dream of. But our hearts are contented fifty-fold if a stranger passes but one compliment.

Feeling a little guilty, maybe exposed? Don't be. Our largely culturally-driven aesthetic desires aren't entirely maladaptive. The MBA and many Apple products are social devices. They can literally generate interaction. Heck Jobs himself in a recent keynote mentioned something about getting a email from a guy who thanked him for inventing the iPad as he met his gf after it got her attention.

So tell us about the interest you're receiving towards your MBAs, new or old, and in what setting :)

My old MBA got quite a lot of attention, mainly at airporst (I don't do the Mac-Starbucking-rimmed glasses thing). Specific anecdotes as I remember them.

I've included a poll as to whether or not your MBA is generating more interest than your previous notebook for both 11" and 13" models.

This is what's wrong with the Mac crowd.

It's a computer. Sure it's nice looking, and I'm glad you are enthusiastic about it as the rest of us are about our computers, but at the end of the day it's just a freakin' computer.

potdude

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
I got an 11.6" Macbook Air but could care less what other people think of my machine. I buy Apple computers for great build quality and a great operating system. I don't buy them because I want to be a show off and receive compliments from other people.

I'd in fact find it annoying if a bunch of people (unless they are hot chicks) came up to me and asked me about my computer. I'd rather just use my computer when out and about and not have to become some sort of Apple salesperson who shows everyone my computer that asks.

sinophilia

macrumors regular
May 7, 2008
Italy
This is what's wrong with the Mac crowd.

It's a computer. Sure it's nice looking, and I'm glad you are enthusiastic about it as the rest of us are about our computers, but at the end of the day it's just a freakin' computer.

I think - and hope - the OP was trying to be funny (and he was).

EggrollShop

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009
Seriously I love my Air but at the end of the day, I take notes on it, I edit photos on it, and it sits on my couch until I need it again. It doesn't boost my ego and I don't flaunt it around like it was made out of diamonds. But hey if that's your thing more power to you :D

Oh and this thread has been very enjoyable to read lol

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

We're in this because of the wow.

You must be a new Mac user.

potdude

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
I have yet to see someone get laid because of his laptop computer.

I use computers for MY needs and NOT because I am hoping to get laid by using a Macbook Air in public places. I was just saying that if somebody came up to me and asked me questions while I was using my Macbook Air, I'd prefer it would be a hot chick rather than some other male or unattractive female.

A male can always find hookers who will have sex with them who don't care what you or your computer looks like as long as you can afford to pay them.

Jobsian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2009
I use computers for MY needs and NOT because I am hoping to get laid by using a Macbook Air in public places.
What if your needs are to find simpler, deeper things? Friendship, love or just flat out contact with another human who isnt a NPC? Remember those simple pleasures?

Is it so pathetic to venture into the concrete jungle with your haughty MBA, and with your mind set, however much it tries to deny it, at 95% intent of displaying it? And maybe 5% or less of actually achieving some function of it's software?

In this era of atomisation juxtaposed with increased means of non-verbal aesthetic communication from your shave to your choice of shoe, is it so pathetic to repeatedly browse a pseudo-important pdf or a desperately meagre collection of photos from the last party you went to 3 years ago or an only subjectively funny gif you got off a forum over and over and over again, coffee after coffee, with the goal of someone spotting that yes, he must be kinda a big deal or haha he must have a sense of humor or ooh, he's popular and happening!

Tell me, is it so different in principle? I don't know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.