MBA to get Sandy Bridge in June?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by fyrefly, Feb 10, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

CNET says so...

And the post's author Brooke Crothers has been a big MBA guy since the beginning.

Would make sense, given that the ULV Sandy Bridge chips should be around by then, and the Sandy Bridge Graphics are at least as good as the 9400m.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20031434-64.html

Wonder if this thread will keep the "should I buy now or wait?" threads at bay at all? My guess is no. ;)

Hopefully this update brings back the Backlit Keyboard. :D

2. macrumors 6502a

Dang it! I just ordered mine last week.

Now I can't decide if I want to open it or just return for a refund. :eek:

3. rhinosrcool, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

I love it! There will be great deals on the Airs that are sold so that many current users can upgrade. I can wait 3-4 months (if it really does happen).

4. macrumors 6502a

What do you guys suggest? I'm seriously at a loss what to do.

I just ordered a 13in, 4GB RAM, 128 Flash HD. I'm so pumped about getting it next week! With this news though, I'm pretty sure I'd definitely want to upgrade in June.

5. macrumors regular

Personally not tempted in the least.

6. macrumors newbie

I guess they will definitely use the new Intel CPUs:)

7. macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

there's always something better in a few months...if you need it...buy it now.

8. macrumors 65816

torbjoern

That just means that the Air will get lousy graphics because of the Intel/Nvidia licensing issues.
    So if the rumor is true, that's a reason to buy the MBA 13" now, and NOT wait.

9. macrumors regular

I decided to buy my Air in December and regardless of what gets released in the summer I won't regret my decision. I'll have got 7-8 months of use out of it before the newer ones are released and currently it does everything I need.

10. macrumors 6502

Will this mean the 11.6 will stream 1080p video, from say Netflix, to an external monitor better, or worse?

11. macrumors member

aniketroxx

lol i think 320m is much powerful than sucky intel graphics :cool:

12. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Probably worse or at least 'no better'.....

OSX is tailored to offload a lot of tasks to the gpu, and likewise many applications (photoshop etc...) The GPU in the current MBA is better than the integrated graphics in the SandyBridge ULV models.

Therefore any gain the processor switch earns, is also then hit with the burden of lesser graphics performance. Overall it may balance out, but I doubt it will better the current gen.

The only benefit you may have is increased battery life, though I doubt it will be dramatic.

13. macrumors 65816

impulse462

This exactly. Snow Leopard uses OpenCL to offload tasks to the GPU when doing things such as viewing 720p or 1080p video.

While the IGP for Sandy Bridge will be *decent*, it won't compare to the 320M that is currently in the macbook airs.

14. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sandy Bridge is supposedly OpenCL compatible... so if Apple and Intel can come up with some decent drivers, Sandy Bridge could in theory offload stuff to the GPU properly as well.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is just a rumor... tho it fits with both the intel and Apple road maps.

I'd say if you need the 13" Air now, use it and love it. It's a great computer. If you don't need the 13" Air now, and you CAN wait... then why not wait? Only thing is... June is still 5 months away. Do you have a computer to use in the meantime?

16. macrumors 6502a

It's too early for rumors to actually start getting accurate. For those who are feeling a little bitter about this news because we just bought current MBAs (myself included) understand that the performance increase in the Airs won't be nearly as pronounced due to the GPU downgrade from 320m to ULV SB graphics, which I assume are worse than the graphics in regular voltage SB. Plus, 5 months from now is a long time. If you just got a new Air, enjoy it :). If you really need to upgrade when SB MBAs come out, sell your current one and upgrade. MBAs always did well in resale.

17. macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

Apparently sandy bridge graphics are on par with the current nvidia found in the airs now. Alone with that it should give better battery life and run cooler. This is a great upgrade and I'm sure apple would put other things as well. Possibly amd discrete graphics too?

18. macrumors G4

I wouldn't bother waiting. My guess is that this would be primarily for cost, supply, and PR more than performance. A low-voltage Sandy Bridge processor would have more CPU performance but slightly less graphics performance. However, the supply of C2D chips is dwindling, and so Apple needs to upgrade to the Core i-series eventually.

Enjoy what you have. You can always get something better or cheaper if you wait. It's technology.

19. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

Sandy Bridge IGP does not support OpenCL. However, it does support QuickSync which is much better for video playback than even high-end desktop GPUs. If Apple or some 3rd party software will support that, video playback shouldn't be an issue

20. macrumors G4

From AnandTech's analysis, the Sandy Bridge is on par at low detail tasks. The 320m is still better at higher detail. That said, it is a logical move, and a logical time. Get the new versions out in time for the back-to-school rush.

21. macrumors 6502a

Funkymonk

I bet it'll have the backlit keyboards everyone was dyiing over too:eek:

22. BlackMax, Feb 11, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2011

macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I believe I read on AnandTech that Sandy Bridge will not support OpenCL. Let me see if I can find the article I was reading and post it.

Did you read somewhere else that Sandy Bridge WILL support OpenCL?

Update:

Found it: AnandTech: I don't believe Apple will abandon NVIDIA as a result of Sandy Bridge's vastly improved graphics given SB's lack of OpenCL support.

23. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4084/intels-sandy-bridge-upheaval-in-the-mobile-landscape/8

24. macrumors 6502a

It currently does not support OpenCL but a driver update from Intel COULD change that.

25. macrumors 68030

That intel graphics card is going to kill the air's performance...

Well, it will get better battery life... probably. But, no. I am not giving up nvidia graphic's card for intel sandy bridge.