Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew7724

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
hi, I'm going into a design school to study either media or industrial design.

Now that the 17" mac book pro is out as well, i don't really know which one to pick. I really like the double layer burning, the 3 USBs, and the screen, but is the 17" just too big? Is it even portable? that is the thing I need to know.

I don't think I will bring it to school everyday, but I know that I might need to carry it around sometime.

Could the people that have had or still have the powerbook 17" comment on it's portability?

Thank you so much! :D

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
1.2 lbs

Ok..its 1.2 lbs difference, plus better stats/price for the 17".

Personally i say buy the 17" unless you cant hack the extra 1.2 lbs.
Some people will say the 17" fits uncomfortably in their lap, but my uni's 17" fits nicely in mine. I actually prefer the feel of the 17" on my lap to the 15".

Just my 2¢.

DrDoOdMoNdAnG

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Seeing as you'll be going into design, I think you'll like the extra screen space. Also, when you think about it, that extra pound isn't that much. So I'd say go for the 17".

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Depends on how much you can bench. :p

jk, I'm going for the 17 inch, I think its the better value and being the same resolution as a 20inch ACD, you can get away without having another monitor.

jmo

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
The screen is awesome for design, but the size (not weight) of the 17" make it a little harder to haul around. If you aren't going to be moving around much then it might not be a big deal. I am going to get a 15" MBP because I like the balance of screen, power, and portability. The 17" is a great laptop, but make sure you take into account the added dimensions and how you will be using it.

Probably wouldn't hurt to take a look at a 17" PB at CompUSA or an Apple Store to see if it looks too big to you.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
The new 17" is a good price compared to the 15" features-wise. It comes down to size. The 17" will make your backpack kind of large....though not unmanageable. It is still portable and I seriously considered it before going for a 15" machine. Remember the MBP's have DVI outputs....you could get a 15" for portability and plug it into a bigger screen back at home. Dell does some good prices on LCD displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.