Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
well it looks like Apple has replaced the keyboard but harddisk isn't working :(

When I gave the MBP to apple at least it was booting in safe mode :mad:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Did you check if you had a good boot when you got your repaired MBPro while you were still at the Apple store?
Does it still boot into safe boot mode - if you try that?
Perhaps there was already a problem with the hard drive (or at least the OS X system) prior to the problem with the keyboard.

If you boot to your recovery system, then run Disk Utility, does that show your hard drive, and can you run Repair Disk on your hard drive?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
well it looks like Apple has replaced the keyboard but harddisk isn't working :(

When I gave the MBP to apple at least it was booting in safe mode :mad:

Repairs are warrantied for 90 days if you were outside of your AppleCare agreement. Otherwise, they are warrantied for the rest of your agreement.

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Did you check if you had a good boot when you got your repaired MBPro while you were still at the Apple store?
Does it still boot into safe boot mode - if you try that?
Perhaps there was already a problem with the hard drive (or at least the OS X system) prior to the problem with the keyboard.

If you boot to your recovery system, then run Disk Utility, does that show your hard drive, and can you run Repair Disk on your hard drive?

At the Genius bar the guy ran all tests an everything was OK except the keyboard tests

MBP is still in the Apple store as I am still awaiting for a call from tech team. This info was told to me by a non-tech guy @ the store

Well good thing is I don't have any data in that hard disk. Bad thing is the additional cost for the HDD :-/

Keyboard alone costs me 156EUR with tax.

Is it possible that I can replace the HDD myself? if so how can I get the OS installed?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
At the Genius bar the guy ran all tests an everything was OK except the keyboard tests

MBP is still in the Apple store as I am still awaiting for a call from tech team. This info was told to me by a non-tech guy @ the store

Well good thing is I don't have any data in that hard disk. Bad thing is the additional cost for the HDD :-/

Keyboard alone costs me 156EUR with tax.

Is it possible that I can replace the HDD myself? if so how can I get the OS installed?

Yes. The process is very simple. You can view detailed instructions here.

You may use any SATA 2.5" hard drive or SSD. I recommend the Samsung 840, 840 Pro, and 840 Evo if you go SSD. To reload the OS, simply hold CMD OPT R and you will boot to Internet Recovery. This will download the pre-installed operating system that came with your MacBook Pro.

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Yes. The process is very simple. You can view detailed instructions here.

You may use any SATA 2.5" hard drive or SSD. I recommend the Samsung 840, 840 Pro, and 840 Evo if you go SSD. To reload the OS, simply hold CMD OPT R and you will boot to Internet Recovery. This will download the pre-installed operating system that came with your MacBook Pro.

Thanks man! I think will do this myself if Apple want to charge a fortune for the hard disk replacement!

Cheers

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
Well got a call from Genius bar and they told me the HDD 500GB costs 94 EUR + 19% VAT
Told them its 44EUR in Amazon and said I will do that myself

Question is when I gave the MBP, the HDD was working except that it was always booting in safe boot mode. When Apple tested it said all OK except the keyboard. Now he says when he connect the hdd he sees a "? " symbol.

Wondering if this another money making policy from Apple

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Well got a call from Genius bar and they told me the HDD 500GB costs 94 EUR + 19% VAT

Told them its 44EUR in Amazon and said I will do that myself

Question is when I gave the MBP, the HDD was working except that it was always booting in safe boot mode. When Apple tested it said all OK except the keyboard. Now he says when he connect the hdd he sees a "? " symbol.

Wondering if this another money making policy from Apple

I would definitely say that to them...

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
I opened Disk Utility and click in 'Verify Disk Permissions' followed by 'Repair Disk Permissions'. Problem solved,;)

Tried this and didn't work. long story short, Apple now tells me that after changing keyboard, the HDD is not booting and needs to be changed

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
If it started when you brought it in fight them on it.

Finally got the MBP and the Apple guy at the Genius bar has no clue why & how the HDD is not working

This is what happens:
- The system starts and come till Apple logo and waits there for longtime. After some time it shut's down
- I tried run the disk utility. "Verify Disk" now says that
"The volume Machintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired. Error? the disk needs to be repaired. "

- I tried to "Repair disk" and got the following
" Error Disk Utility can't repair the disk. Backup as many files as possible, reformat the disk and restored the backed up files"

Any idea how to proceed now? :-(

I don't have any data on Mac, that's the good thing

----------

I tried "Disk Erase" and got the following

"Disk Erase failed with the error: Couldn't unmount disk"

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Finally got the MBP and the Apple guy at the Genius bar has no clue why & how the HDD is not working

This is what happens:

- The system starts and come till Apple logo and waits there for longtime. After some time it shut's down

- I tried run the disk utility. "Verify Disk" now says that

"The volume Machintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired. Error? the disk needs to be repaired. "

- I tried to "Repair disk" and got the following

" Error Disk Utility can't repair the disk. Backup as many files as possible, reformat the disk and restored the backed up files"

Any idea how to proceed now? :-(

I don't have any data on Mac, that's the good thing

----------

I tried "Disk Erase" and got the following

"Disk Erase failed with the error: Couldn't unmount disk"

I think they screwed up the hard drive data cable when they removed the Logic Board. The failure to format is my clue here.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I think they screwed up the hard drive data cable when they removed the Logic Board. The failure to format is my clue here.

It may be the cable as that is removed when removing the Logic Board. It is nearly impossible to screw that up, but that cable is very delicate.

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
It may be the cable as that is removed when removing the Logic Board. It is nearly impossible to screw that up, but that cable is very delicate.

guess I have to buy a new HDD and mount it in. Thanks a lot for @Altemose

Ripcrod

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
OK. Here's the update:
- Got a new HDD 500GB 7200rpm Hitach
- followed the instruction video and replace the HDD.
- Formatted & installed the OS
- installed Mavericks via USB., had some trouble with the date, solved it
- All working fine now

Thanks a lot guys for the support.

The HDD was 43 Euros with tax where as Apple wanted to charge for the same 500GB 5400 rpm ~95 Euros + 19% VAT :mad::apple:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
OK. Here's the update:

- Got a new HDD 500GB 7200rpm Hitach

- followed the instruction video and replace the HDD.

- Formatted & installed the OS

- installed Mavericks via USB., had some trouble with the date, solved it

- All working fine now

Thanks a lot guys for the support.

The HDD was 43 Euros with tax where as Apple wanted to charge for the same 500GB 5400 rpm ~95 Euros + 19% VAT :mad::apple:

Glad to hear you got a cheaper and faster hard drive. Out of curiosity, why didn't you go SSD?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.