Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alice_so

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2017
Hi!

I have a relatively new MBP 13 with 16 gb RAM and I have been having some problems with it acting in oddly during heavy RAM usage. If I have many tabs open in Safari, say 30 or so, I am sometimes unable to open more pages and instead I get the "the page could not be found" error as if I had lost my connection. Worse yet, occasionally having a high RAM usage makes the whole system act in unexpected ways, like preventing me from closing programs, making me unable to open files in Finder, removing my favorite folders in Finder, losing all sound, losing USB functionality, etc. To resolve these problems when they occur, I am usually forced to restart the computer. I am a former Windows user and have never encountered these types of issues--at worst, heavy RAM usage would just slow things down, not "break" the system. Is this normal?

A side question: Is Safari simply bad at handling many tabs at the same time? I used to have a Windows computer with 10 gb ram which could easily handle far many more tabs without running into issues using Chrome.

Any comments or tips welcome!

Alice

JohnDS

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2015
How much free space do you have on your drive? You might not have enough space for needed swap files.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Activity Monitor says I am using about 12-13 gb, not sure if I am interpreting it correctly though.
You are not interpreting it correctly.

You didn't provide much info but imo lag is likely cpu related.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.