Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aelyrin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Missoula, Montana
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the palm rests of their MBP starting to show wear and tear.

The aluminum seems to be wearing away, with little pock marks on my left palm rest. Is this normal or should I be calling into Apple regarding the issue?

The specs are not just dirt, the are actual "holes" in the bezel, very shallow, but they show up clearly.

Thank you
Billy Niemeyer

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
It's a quite common pitting problem. It's one of the reasons I went from a AL Powerbook to the plastic macbook.

Apple didn't do anything about it when it happened to me, but then again it was far over 5 weeks old (but still under warranty).

Give them a call -- it can't hurt.

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
The palm rests on my very heavily used 10 months old mbp looks as new. Call Apple and let us know what they say.

Aelyrin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Missoula, Montana
I called apple and they said they would replace the bezel but I would need to ship it in, I also have some screen quality issues as well that they will be addressing.

I am not able to just ship out the machine as it is my main work machine and I can't be without it for 2 weeks so I will have to wait until March when I go to mexico to have them repair it.

The representative I spoke with said that it would not be a problem, I have an open apple service number and that I can take care of it at anytime in the 3 years I have the machine.

Also, I am not sure how NOT to rest my palm there, it is mainly on the left hand side (I am a WoWer in my spare time) and when the video card is running hot my wrist will sweat alot.

I used to own an Aluminum Bezel keyboard from Coolermaster and had the same issues with it. I am wondering if it is even worth sending in to have repaired at this point if it will just happen again. If I were to just wait until I am ready to upgrade and then have them fix it I wonder if that would be a better solution.

Aelyrin

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
Missoula, Montana
A MarWare or InvisibleShield protector might be able to prevent it without having to teach yourself to hold your wrist up.

Thank you for the tip! Just ordered a 17inch full shield from them :)

It's minor enough now that it doesn't bother me. If apple will replace it some day I can have them do it when they replace the screen and then just reshield it!

Thanks alot for the help.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
IMO, this shouldn't be happening after 5 weeks. I've seen the pock marks on my friends' powerbooks and I've read posts about this explaining that it is due to to corrosion from sweat. Hmmm...maybe after a year, not 5 weeks. I'd contact Apple.

Good luck

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing the palm rests of their MBP starting to show wear and tear.

The aluminum seems to be wearing away, with little pock marks on my left palm rest. Is this normal or should I be calling into Apple regarding the issue?

The specs are not just dirt, the are actual "holes" in the bezel, very shallow, but they show up clearly.

Thank you
Billy Niemeyer

Can we see some pictures of what your talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.