Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Hey guys..needs some help here. My first BIG problem with my MBP. I just got an Optoma DV10 projector and I am trying to get it to work, and I have done EVERYTHING (including tons of google searching) and no go. OSX detects the projector as Optoma DV10 perfectly. I set the resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768 (which the projector CAN display because i hooked my Dell laptop to it on those settings) and the projector will NOT detect video from the MBP. I tried two different adapters and still no go. I am using the DVI adapter from apple and i also have another dvi adapter and still no video.

Pleasssssse help me i need this to work!

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Can I start with some basics? Have you tried plugging the MacBook into the projector when both are already on? Have you flipped through all of the inputs on the projector?

And also the obvious question... this projector, from what I can tell, has no DVI port, yes? What kind of port are you connecting to? Do you have a DVI cable anywhere in the mix? Are you sure that DVI cable has the analog (DVI-A) set of wires in it (i.e. DVI-I) and is not a purely digital (DVI-D) cable? As there are such things.... For that mater, are you plugging a mini-DVI -> DVI adaptor into the MacBook or a mini-DVI -> VGA adaptor?

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Can I start with some basics? Have you tried plugging the MacBook into the projector when both are already on? Have you flipped through all of the inputs on the projector?

And also the obvious question... this projector, from what I can tell, has no DVI port, yes? What kind of port are you connecting to? Do you have a DVI cable anywhere in the mix? Are you sure that DVI cable has the analog (DVI-A) set of wires in it (i.e. DVI-I) and is not a purely digital (DVI-D) cable? As there are such things.... For that mater, are you plugging a mini-DVI -> DVI adaptor into the MacBook or a mini-DVI -> VGA adaptor?

Yes i have tried all the inputs. No go. The projector has ONLY a VGA port on it. I have the DVI converter that came with the MBP to convert the DVI to VGA and I am using a regular projector cable (VGA to VGA). Like I said this all works fine on a Dell machine i tested with. (vga port on it not a DVI). Cant figure this out for the life of esp when it works on another machine but not on the MBP.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Sounds like you've been very thorough! Is there anything you can do or have done to eliminate the possibility that the video output on the MBP or the mini-DVI adaptor are defective? :(

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Sounds like you've been very thorough! Is there anything you can do or have done to eliminate the possibility that the video output on the MBP or the mini-DVI adaptor are defective? :(

hahaha yeah i have this is annoying! i am going to try it on my extra LCD that is regular VGA...if that doesnt work sounds like its a bad port...i am going to try that now.

EDT: hooked my laptop up to a lcd and it WORKS. so i dunno why it wont work with the projector...it has to be something with the projector not liking the signal from the MBP....i udnno what to do....

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
This isn't a long-term solution by any means, but, if you have a kb & mouse, can you please try putting the MBP in clamshell mode with the projector hooked up (i.e. plug the projector, kb, mouse in, close the MBP, then try to wake it up with the kb/mouse). What happens when you do this? Does it wake? Does anything show on the projector? If it does work this way, try opening the MBP again after you do this. If that works in turn, then try unplugging and hot-re-plugging the display after this and see if it automatically resumes the previous configuration and makes both screens work.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
i will give this a try this afternoon and see what happens....keeping my fingers crossed

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Ok well i called apple and we found that its definitly not the MBP becuase it works fine with another monitor. So it seems to be projector related or something, i cant figure it our for life of me becuase it works fine with my Dell. I was thinking about getting a VGA to SVIDEO adapter and trying that, anyone think that would work?

BikeSlug

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2006
I think this will work

I had the exact same problem with a pair of projectors in a classroom. The issue turns out to be that some projectors send out a signal down their cables that they are Digital projectors. When you connect your macbook, it detects this signal and sends out a DVI signal even though you are hooked to a VGA cable. If you have "Show Displays in menu bar" turned on and connect the cable, you'll see that the projector is identified as something Digital, and not a VGA monitor.

The solution is surprisingly easy. First, connect your VGA adapter to the macbook and wait for your screen to go black and come back up. If you check in the monitor preferences from the menu bar, you'll see "VGA monitor". Basically the computer is detecting the adapter and sending your monitor signal to a ghost monitor. Now when you hook up the cable to the adapter (without unplugging the adapter) your screen should show up on the projector instantly. Be sure not click on "Detect Displays" because this will force the macbook to look at the signal coming through your adapter and it will again think that this is a DVI connection and send out the wrong signal. If this happens, you have to unplug the cables and start over (Adapter first, then cable).

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
I had the exact same problem with a pair of projectors in a classroom. The issue turns out to be that some projectors send out a signal down their cables that they are Digital projectors. When you connect your macbook, it detects this signal and sends out a DVI signal even though you are hooked to a VGA cable. If you have "Show Displays in menu bar" turned on and connect the cable, you'll see that the projector is identified as something Digital, and not a VGA monitor.

The solution is surprisingly easy. First, connect your VGA adapter to the macbook and wait for your screen to go black and come back up. If you check in the monitor preferences from the menu bar, you'll see "VGA monitor". Basically the computer is detecting the adapter and sending your monitor signal to a ghost monitor. Now when you hook up the cable to the adapter (without unplugging the adapter) your screen should show up on the projector instantly. Be sure not click on "Detect Displays" because this will force the macbook to look at the signal coming through your adapter and it will again think that this is a DVI connection and send out the wrong signal. If this happens, you have to unplug the cables and start over (Adapter first, then cable).

hmmm i am trying out what you said and when i plug the adapter in the screen flashes....when it comes back up and i click displays on the toolbar it doesnt display a VGA monitor. Displays nothing. Any ideas? (this is when i have the

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
hmmm i am trying out what you said and when i plug the adapter in the screen flashes....when it comes back up and i click displays on the toolbar it doesnt display a VGA monitor. Displays nothing. Any ideas? (this is when i have the

OK...get this ... i took the MBP into my other computer and hooked the VGA LCD monitor up and hit detect displays, boom comes up perfectly (NEC 17") it says, so i changed the 640x480 and than to 1280x768 at 60hz (exactly like i have it on my dell machine) and disconnected JUST the VGA cord and left the adapter in the MBP and went and hooked up the projector...still no video detection. WTF!? i dont understand what is going on with this this.

I still dont get VGA monitor to come up when i plug my adapter into the MBP fyi...with nothing connected to it.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
well i am thinking there has to be something with the DVI port putting out a signal the projector doesnt like. i might try doing this...attaching the dvi>vga connector than a vga>svideo connector...see if that works, otherwise i am out of options...this sucks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Mmm, this one has me really stumped. S-Video really has no good reason to not work, but beware, the quality will suck. :( I don't understand why VGA is not working.

Just to verify... did you try the thing I recommended in Post #7? I dunno...I'm definitely running out of things to suggest, as nothing like this has ever happened to me with a Mac and a projector. :(

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Mmm, this one has me really stumped. S-Video really has no good reason to not work, but beware, the quality will suck. :( I don't understand why VGA is not working.

Just to verify... did you try the thing I recommended in Post #7? I dunno...I'm definitely running out of things to suggest, as nothing like this has ever happened to me with a Mac and a projector. :(

Yes i tried this. still no go. anyone try using display config x? i wonder if its something with the megahertz or something? Anyone have any more help regarding this it would be great...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I haven't used DisplayConfigX, but I've used the very similar SwitchResX. But I've never heard of it being needed for a projector. It mostly comes in handy for hi-def TV's (which is also what I used it for). SwitchResX is excellent. I guess it might help.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
I haven't used DisplayConfigX, but I've used the very similar SwitchResX. But I've never heard of it being needed for a projector. It mostly comes in handy for hi-def TV's (which is also what I used it for). SwitchResX is excellent. I guess it might help.

Well I tried both programs out and neither work. I made custom resoltuions and still no go. The only thing I can think is the projector doesnt like the DVI to ANALOG connection. Going to pick up a DVI to SVIDEO cable from apple and see if that solves the problem but i doubt it...plus its gonna look like crap.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i have this projector and it will only work with VGA output

i have it working fine on Mac Mini intel with VGA block

you can also try contacting Optima support

sir. mac

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2006
Had a similar problem between a optoma and my MBP just last week. But when I booted up in OSX it was fine. Problem was when I boot(camped) in windows it was a no go. Used the VGA-cable that comes with the book, and tried everything with the resolution, hertz etc. Seems we got the opposite problem, but maybe it´s the same solution (even though different OS)?

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
i have this projector and it will only work with VGA output

i have it working fine on Mac Mini intel with VGA block

you can also try contacting Optima support

Hmmm...what do you mean by 'VGA block'...?

And Optoma support is horrible, i put a ticket in last week and still haven't heard back.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Hmmm...what do you mean by 'VGA block'...?

And Optoma support is horrible, i put a ticket in last week and still haven't heard back.
from the mac mini - the adapter that comes in the box to VGA

i had a problen with HD output from the Xbox 360 to my DV10 and had to buy an adapter from them for £16 after that it worked a treat.

the support i got was all done buy e-mail - 24 hour turn around then i phoned them up to buy the part and next day delivery all done.

i use my DV10 for Xbox and DVD's but sometimes use it with Front Row on the Mac Mini - maybe if your having issues send it back and get a different make of projector?

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Had a similar problem between a optoma and my MBP just last week. But when I booted up in OSX it was fine. Problem was when I boot(camped) in windows it was a no go. Used the VGA-cable that comes with the book, and tried everything with the resolution, hertz etc. Seems we got the opposite problem, but maybe it´s the same solution (even though different OS)?

I wonder why mine wont work in OSX? Its really frustrating because it SHOULD be working unless I really screwed something up but i really doubt that :) Are you using any type of third party software to get yours to work?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
I wonder why mine wont work in OSX? Its really frustrating because it SHOULD be working unless I really screwed something up but i really doubt that :) Are you using any type of third party software to get yours to work?

leave the DV10 on and reboot your Mac ? but i bet you already done that ;)

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
from the mac mini - the adapter that comes in the box to VGA

i had a problen with HD output from the Xbox 360 to my DV10 and had to buy an adapter from them for £16 after that it worked a treat.

the support i got was all done buy e-mail - 24 hour turn around then i phoned them up to buy the part and next day delivery all done.

i use my DV10 for Xbox and DVD's but sometimes use it with Front Row on the Mac Mini - maybe if your having issues send it back and get a different make of projector?

After reading this I am starting to think about picking up a DVI-I to component cable off their website and see if that works. I wonder if that would fix the issue...I will email Optoma again and see what they say.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
After reading this I am starting to think about picking up a DVI-I to component cable off their website and see if that works. I wonder if that would fix the issue...I will email Optoma again and see what they say.

i will have to apologize for my bad spelling there :eek: "by" not "buy" i must have sales on the brain today

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
haha understood...I am hoping to figure this out...i just sent optoma another email...see what they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.