Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trudd

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Texas
Just bought my friend's MBP CD. When I try to plug it into my Dell 2005fpw and run it in clamshell, it totally wigs out.

When I was at the office today, I hooked it up to a 20" Cinema Display and it started up like a dream in clamshell mode.

Is this a problem with the 2005fpw, or just another case of crappy MBP sleep habits?

trudd

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Texas
I hate to ask the obvious... but can you define "wigs out"?

Whoops. I did a quick edit and left out the most important part.

It freezes and won't wake from sleep. I've had to take out the battery and even take out the RAM to get it to start back up. I just got the MBP yesterday, and I haven't really been keeping up with all of the previous sleep issues the Rev A had.

All I know is that my Rev D powerbook ran flawlessly in clamshell mode. the MBP won't run in clamshell with the 2005fpw. It crashed all but one time last night when attempting to run in clamshell. The first time I tried it on the 20" apple cinema, it booted up just fine.

I guess I just want to know if there are any blatant incompatibilities with the MBP and the 2005fpw

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
hmmm

I used a 20" Dell with my MBP for a while before I got my Mac Pro and 24".

I did find that I had to connect everything while the MBP was awake. Then close it, wait a few seconds for it to sleep, then wake it up with the keyboard.

trudd

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Texas
Hm. You all will enjoy this news.

Instead of running clamshell, I went ahead and opened the laptop. I used the 2005fpw as my main monitor and turned the backlight on the MBP down.

I was installing final cut studio and on the 3rd install disc, it randomly shut down.

I finally got it back up and running (removed battery, held power button for 10 seconds, etc). About 30 minutes later, it shut down again.

The laptop is going in for repair tomorrow.

Mallow005

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2006
Looks like I'm not the only one with this problem, I have a C2D though. Mine never did it within 30 minutes of each other, although one time it would try to power on for one second, then shutoff for 2 seconds, repeat ad nauseum. My fans started going crazy as well (wouldn't go down until cores hit 60C). I sent mine in for repairs and an Apple employee called me this morning asking if they could keep mine for dissection and send me a new one. Good luck in your repairs!

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
10.4.8 screwed up a lot of stuff. Even on my 12" PB, before I sold it for a 15" C2D MBP, I was having numerous sleep issues.

prplmnkydshwshr

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2006
I have yet to test clamshell mode on my C2D, but I believe the error you are reporting is the same as this post on Apple's support forums

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=716772&tstart=15

I am using the same Dell 2005FPW monitor, however other users have reported the same exact problem on Apple Cinema displays, CRTs or other LCDS. It appears to be a logic board issue. When i spoke to Applecare, I had them search for previous cases. The tech claimed that there were similar issues reported with the original MBP CD units and made the ridiculous claim that as it was a previously known issue, Apple would have fixed the problem in the new C2D units. Either there are still existing logic board problems or it is related to 10.4.8. This same exact monitor works fine in all modes: clamshell, extended, and mirror on my 12" PB.

To the original poster, did you use the Cinema display for an extended period of time? You can be able to test if there is a problem by running the graphic intensive screensavers such as flurry and you may see the same problem on the Cinema display.

trudd

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Texas
To the original poster, did you use the Cinema display for an extended period of time? You can be able to test if there is a problem by running the graphic intensive screensavers such as flurry and you may see the same problem on the Cinema display.

Nope. The MBP wouldn't even boot in clamshell on the 2005FPW, so my only reason for the test was to see if it would boot in clamshell with the Cinema display (which it did).

What is the turn around for a logic board relplacement? I assume that's what they will do.

trudd

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 27, 2004
Texas

Nope. The MBP wouldn't even boot in clamshell on the 2005FPW, so my only reason for the test was to see if it would boot in clamshell with the Cinema display (which it did).

What is the turn around for a logic board relplacement? I assume that's what they will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.