Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Okay so I just had itunes and firefox open. And out of the blue I hear this loud sound. At first I thought it was just the natural hard drive noises- but no, I realize this thing is freaking loud. I pause itunes and I lay my head to the left of the trackpad. My mbp is making a very loud hum-ish/buzz-ish somethng sound. I can't describe it really. Not normal. Never heard before. I immediately close firefox and itunes. When I reopen itunes, it won't let me hide by using commands. It freezes and I'm forced to force quit it. The sound starts to gradually fade into the normal hard drive sounds. What just happened?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Are you sure only iTunes and Firefox were open? Keep Activity Monitor open so that hopefully it'll show you what's happening if this occurs again. :)

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
Well there were a few others gmail notifier, finder, but those are always on, no matter what. I'll be sure to keep activity monitor going (i've never seen my system drop below 90% idle and it usually hovers at 97% idle). All I do is use the internet and listen to music 95% of the time

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
It definitely wasn't the fans. I can hear the fans right now, and it wasn't a sound like that at all. The fans are pretty much always on, and this was so loud and unfanlike I'm sure of the fact. *sigh* This computer was perfect until it had a kernel panic two or three weeks ago. Now I'm finding a new problem everyday. itunes won't immediately open anymore. It keeps on beachballing for 1-2 minutes before it will "show" itself

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you're having more and more problems with it each day, then take it to Apple. It's new so it should work like a new computer.

Just out of interest, what are these problems though. If you list them all we may be able to find a relationship. :)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Isn't the hard drive just to the left of the trackpad? Could it be showing signs of going tits up?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Killyp said:
Isn't the hard drive just to the left of the trackpad? Could it be showing signs of going tits up?

I had a drive go in my powerbook (Toshiba 80GB 5400 drive). The noise was kinda like a loud humming/buzzing.

I'd back everything important up and go see apple (or ring em).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.