Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. DG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2006
Well, I was impressed to see the 15" MBP in dixons today, (only 2 months after it was released :) ).

Good points:

1. the screen. it was next to the G4 17" powerbook iin the shop and it was almost as big.

er.. thats it. the 17" pb looked much sleeker, there's something not quite right about the 15" mbp. i think the lip above the screen for the iSight breaks up the clean lines a little. PC laptops are catching up in terms of design, and the change of hinge makes it look less nice than the powerbook.

im still going to get one, but only when they put fw800 back in and add another 3 usb ports. Maybe im in for a long wait...

But it was £1399, the same price as the 15" powerbook and therefore £30 cheaper than the apple store, which is unusual.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
Mr. DG said:
Well, I was impressed to see the 15" MBP in dixons today, (only 2 months after it was released :) ).

Good points:

1. the screen. it was next to the G4 17" powerbook iin the shop and it was almost as big.

er.. thats it. the 17" pb looked much sleeker, there's something not quite right about the 15" mbp. i think the lip above the screen for the iSight breaks up the clean lines a little. PC laptops are catching up in terms of design, and the change of hinge makes it look less nice than the powerbook.

im still going to get one, but only when they put fw800 back in and add another 3 usb ports. Maybe im in for a long wait...

But it was £1399, the same price as the 15" powerbook and therefore £30 cheaper than the apple store, which is unusual.
Yeah, DSG usually receive the stock about a month after but stock usually only gets put on the shelf after the older version (in this case 15" PB) has sold through. That said if you walk in and ask they usually have them

And yeah, DSG have the base 15" £30 cheaper - not the same on the high end model though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.