Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sam-i-am

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
I have the 1.8Ghz Macbook pro and bought new memory for it. The memory I bought was here:
http://www.digi4me.com/product.php?productid=1687&cat=0&page=1

it seemed like a pretty good deal... Anyway, When I put the memory in the first thing I saw was the apple symbol as normal, but then it reset and kept looping. I took the old memory out and replaced it with the new, and I got nothing. Blank screen. The white light in front comes on but nothing else.

Every other configuration I tried yielded the same results. At one point, turning on the computer would produce a steady blinking of the power light. Even going back to the original configuration of the 512 in slot 1 and the 1gb in slot two, which before produced a looping reset, now just gives a blank screen.

So is there anything I need to do to get it to recognize the new memory? Is the memory I bought even compatible? Can I run a 1gb and a 512 or do they have to match?

What else could be wrong?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
You should only purchase RAM for your Mac from a vendor who meets two criteria:

1) they explicitly guarantee Mac-compatibility
2) they offer a unconditional lifetime warranty

Otherwise, you're playing Russian roulette - the RAM might work, or it might not. Sounds like you didn't buy the right RAM for your Mac.

You spent a lot of money on your Mac, and didn't cheap out, so no need to buying some second-rate memory for it, especially when RAM is such an important component of your system. I would recommend returning the RAM (if they even allow you to) and purchasing quality RAM from a reputable vendor such as CanadaRAM or DMS. :cool:

For further assistance, perhaps you could PM CanadaRAM and see what he advises as well. :cool:

sam-i-am

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Bummer... This was their ad on Pricewatch:

"-LIFETIME WARRANTY- 1GB DDR2 PC5300 667MHz 200-pin SODIMM for Notebook and Laptop COMPUTERS Works with most DDR2 Toshiba Sony IBM Hewlett Packard Gateway Dell Compaq Acer Apple NEC In Stock Guaranteed to run on DUAL CHANNEL.
Part No - MD2667S-1G"

So it does mention apple compatibility, although not on the actual product page :( - so has anyone found a good deal on ram that WILL work in a MBP?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
sam-i-am said:
Bummer... This was their ad on Pricewatch:

"-LIFETIME WARRANTY- 1GB DDR2 PC5300 667MHz 200-pin SODIMM for Notebook and Laptop COMPUTERS Works with most DDR2 Toshiba Sony IBM Hewlett Packard Gateway Dell Compaq Acer Apple NEC In Stock Guaranteed to run on DUAL CHANNEL.
Part No - MD2667S-1G"

So it does mention apple compatibility, although not on the actual product page :( - so has anyone found a good deal on ram that WILL work in a MBP?
Meh. No specifications at all on their product page - they claim CAS latency of CL4. Not likely on 667 MHz RAM, and so not likely at $83. I wouldn't be surprised if they are selling DDR2-533 labelled as 667 -- but I have no proof one way or another.

Sam, make sure they return all of your money and don't let them try to hold back a "restocking charge". Your RAM is DOA, straight up.

Then, since you appear to be in the USA, go to Data Memory Systems, where you'll get RAM that works for $117 per Gb.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
May I be bold enough to add that the idea of "Mac compatible ram" is really obsolete nowadays. Why?

Guess what guys, it is the same memory controller, same CPU, same everything else as with the PC laptops, as long as it is up to specifications it will work.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
generik said:
May I be bold enough to add that the idea of "Mac compatible ram" is really obsolete nowadays. Why?

Guess what guys, it is the same memory controller, same CPU, same everything else as with the PC laptops, as long as it is up to specifications it will work.
Sure -- tell me then - what are all the specifications, and how will you know if that particular piece of RAM is up to them?

Simple answer is as a consumer you don't know and can't know whether the RAM meets spec or not, because you NEVER see the full published specifications (it would run to dozens of pages). So you have to rely on the seller's guarantee. And the guarantee to look for is that the seller has tested it and guarantees functionality in your model Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.