Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gswan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Whenever I have an SSD (crucial mx100 or samsung 850) as my internal hard drive, my macbook has problems with sleep/wake. If I unplug (run on battery) my macbook and let it sleep, the SSD (or stock hard drive) does not wake up. It will work for about a second then it'll freeze for a few and quickly flash a white screen and reboot. This also happens when I close the laptop while it's plugged in and I try to reopen it. Sometimes it will happen randomly after a few hours of using the computer (and possibly letting it sleep in-between).

Some solutions I tried:
1. Reseting SMC
2. Installing OS X via USB and installing it when it's my internal drive
3. Reinstalling OS X
4. Repairing the drive in disk utility

Solutions that worked at first (for a few days), but eventually failed:
1. Replacing the hard drive cable. (No problems for about a month)
2. Preventing the drive from going to sleep in settings

I can boot the SSD from a USB enclosure perfectly fine.

When I have the SSD as my internal drive, I sometimes get the prohibitory sign at boot and the file system will appear corrupted. But the minute I put the SSD in a USB enclosure, everything works perfectly again (even after it appeared corrupt as my internal drive). SMART sometimes fails on my drive and other times it passes.

I once booted up and heard beeps, HOWEVER, my ram sticks are good and I've tested them several times.

What is going on? Anyone know?

Also, I have high data error counts in DriveDx with the SSDs. The stock hard drive has a data error count of nearly zero. The stock hard drive also perfectly fine as my internal drive and has no problem with sleep or wake.

UPDATE: After reinstalling the stock hard drive and having success for a day. I am now experiencing the same problem with the stock hard drive.

How I can guarantee my macbook to crash:
1. Unplug it from charger
2. Let it go to sleep
3. Reopen it and it should crash within 2 hours

Potentially related issue: My magsafe light is sometimes dim.

Last edited:

gswan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
Which version of OS X is this? El Capitan?

Honestly it sounds like you need a new SSD.
El Capitan

And I don't think I need a new SSD. I bought the samsung 850 less than a month ago thinking that the problem was the SSD. It works right in a USB enclosure.

gswan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
UPDATE: After reinstalling the stock hard drive and having success for a day. I am now experiencing the same problem with the stock hard drive.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I currently have a mid-2012 non-retina 13" MacBook Pro with a SSD for the internal storage and the problem I have been experiencing on El Capitan (10.11 & 10.11.1) so far as been suffering kernel panics when I leave my machine go into standby mode but what's made it so hard to isolate the issue is that it seems to happen at random. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't. I thing it's simply a bug in OS X at this point. My SSD model is a OWC Mercury Electra 6G with the latest firmware by the manufacturer.

gswan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
I currently have a mid-2012 non-retina 13" MacBook Pro with a SSD for the internal storage and the problem I have been experiencing on El Capitan (10.11 & 10.11.1) so far as been suffering kernel panics when I leave my machine go into standby mode but what's made it so hard to isolate the issue is that it seems to happen at random. Sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't. I thing it's simply a bug in OS X at this point. My SSD model is a OWC Mercury Electra 6G with the latest firmware by the manufacturer.

My kernel panics according to console log have to do with Intel GPU 4000? Is yours the same issue?

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I am not that familiar using the console app so anything in particular that I should look for?

PS: It hasn't done so in a couple of days right now.

gswan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
I am not that familiar using the console app so anything in particular that I should look for?

PS: It hasn't done so in a couple of days right now.
Console app > under System Diagnostics > kernel-2015...

A lot of mine are due to WindowServer and Intel GPU hang.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I check but right now it doesn't seem to have anything regarding kernel panics. Underneath the window it only seems to indicate that it's listing logs from today only.

gswan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2015
The problem was the cable. I replaced it again and added electrical tape all along it.

The extra space for the cable to move caused little tears in the cable. Electrical tape should prevent it from being worn out again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Good User Name
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.