Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jshelton201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2020
I’ve worn out my 2015 MBP retina, and have ordered a 2019 16” model to replace it. Over the last several years of its life, I noticed the screen looked terrible and every effort to clean it was useless. Recently I read that there was an issue with that model where the anti-glare layer would appear “stained” and Apple started doing free screen replacements for certain models bought within 4 years. So my question is, is this still an ongoing issue in their new computers? The 16” was a large investment for me and I want to make sure the same thing doesn’t happen.

Thanks!

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
Not something that you have to actively worry about, the new anti reflective coating doesn't flake off even with harsh chemicals. But I have noticed on my Macbook and my colleges Macbooks the keyboard will permanently etch the screen with prolonged use.

This was particularly bad on my 2017 MBP, our local Apple rep was kind enough to replace it free of charge as we had AppleCare+ on the device.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I noticed the screen looked terrible and every effort to clean it was useless."

You may not like this post.

I believe the problem that many users have (re StainGate) is because they tried cleaning their displays TOO MUCH, or did so in a way which aggravated the problem -- made it WORSE.

ALL the retina MBP's have a VERY thin "sprayed on" anti-glare coating. Even though the formula seems to have improved since it was introduced in 2012, it still seems "fragile" and can be too easily damaged by "overzealous" cleaning attempts.

The best way to "clean" the retina surface is to not "clean it at all".
That is, try not to get it dirty in the first place.
If dust gets on the surface, gently "dust it away" (instead of "wiping" it away).
If something won't come off by "dusting", use a soft moist cloth with AS LITTLE PRESSURE AS POSSIBLE to dislodge what's there. Then, "dust it dry".
BE CAREFUL when you open/close the lid, not to touch the display surface.
The less you touch it, the better the chance it will last without the anti-glare coating starting to flake off...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.