Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
How strict is Apple with the 14 days on their returns? I have a non-BTO that has been in my hands less than a month, and would like to return it to get a more expensive one (it is a CD, not C2D). If I want to pay them more money, would they take it back? Or is it eBay material?

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
They're pretty strict about it; if it's past the 14 days you'd have a pretty tough time getting them to take it back (although if it's only a few days, you might find a manager there or something that is will to let it slide).

But if not, yeah, eBay material.

PillarFan1

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
umm i bought a mbp customized online on oct 3, received the 9th. I called 2 days ago (friday), and asked if i could return to get a new c2d one. I had originally emailed the apple people on the first or second day the new mbp came out and they said that i was past the 14 day return and 10 day price check or whatever, and they gave me 50 bucks as a courtesy. But when i called a couple days ago, i said that i wanted to return old MBP for the new one and that i knew it was past 14 days blah blah, and the lady said she would go ask the manager, came back 3 minz later and gave me the return info. all i have to do is pay ship and 10% restock

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Did you call customer care, or who? And, what did you press? (I'm going to call as soon as I hear back)

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
umm i bought a mbp customized online on oct 3, received the 9th. I called 2 days ago (friday), and asked if i could return to get a new c2d one. I had originally emailed the apple people on the first or second day the new mbp came out and they said that i was past the 14 day return and 10 day price check or whatever, and they gave me 50 bucks as a courtesy. But when i called a couple days ago, i said that i wanted to return old MBP for the new one and that i knew it was past 14 days blah blah, and the lady said she would go ask the manager, came back 3 minz later and gave me the return info. all i have to do is pay ship and 10% restock

I thought Apple didn't accept returns on customized BTO systems?

PillarFan1

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2006
Did you call customer care, or who? And, what did you press? (I'm going to call as soon as I hear back)

called 1 800 my apple. Talked to the first rep, didn't have to ask for anybody higher up or anything. All she (Genene) did was ask her manager who okayed it.

Got an email 5 minutes after hanging up

Dear Matt ---,

Thank you for contacting the Apple Store. We have received your return request.

Please ship your package to the address shown on the return label:
ACI Returns
Return Number #######-OPEN
2811 Laguna Boulevard
Elk Grove, CA 95758

Your refund will be issued after the package has been received at the
Apple returns center. The way this refund is processed depends on the
original payment method you used.

Credit card refunds will be sent to the card-issuing bank within five
business days of receipt of the returned package.

Cash payments will be refunded in the form of a check from Apple,
which will be mailed within 30 days of receipt of the returned package.

Apple Gift Card payments will be refunded in the form of a new Apple
Gift Card, which will be mailed within two days of receipt of the
returned package.

Visit Order Status (http://www.apple.com/orderstatus) for information
about your return and refund. Once there, you can reprint your
address label and packing slip.

Thank you for your interest in Apple products.

Best Regards,

Apple Store Customer Support
Answers to many Apple Store questions can be found at our
Customer Service website:
http://www.apple.com/support/store

----

I then emailed them asking about how i get a new one and how much restock was and they wrote:

Once your item is received in our warehouse, a credit in the amount of $2,261.72 will be processed to your credit card account within three to five business days. This amount includes the 10% restocking fee.

----

I used the developer discount, so thats why it isnt so much back, and i order the new one from the online store or any apple store.

And it was customized and the operator even said that, and i agreed, but she still let it happen :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I thought Apple didn't accept returns on customized BTO systems?

thats what I thought, but it doesnt actually state it in their returns policy. (i'll find the link)

Linkety

Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA.

Interesting to see they're making exceptions though...

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006

1.) the 14-day policy is strict. but they will make exceptions if you have good reasons.

2.) you have to contact one of the store managers of the apple store that you purchased your product from. if manager A is very strict, try manager B. apple care/customer relations will not help you much.

the sooner you contact them, the better chance you have. good luck!

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Linkety

Interesting to see they're making exceptions though...

Thats the US... one I linked for was the UK

7. Your Right to Return the Products or Cancel a Contract for Services and to Receive a Refund

7.1 If you are not satisfied with any Product or the terms of any entitlement to Services you have purchased from us, you may return the Product to us or cancel the entitlement to Services and obtain a refund of the price of the returned Product or Service entitlement if you contact us within 14 Calendar Days of delivery of the Product or entering into the contract for the purchase of of Services. If you choose to return a product the transportation charges set out in paragraph 7.2 paragraph D below will apply.

However, you may not return a Product and claim a refund if the Product concerned is:

a) Software which we supplied to you sealed and unused and you have broken the seal or which you have successfully downloaded from the AppleStore website; or

b) a personalized iPod with an engraving made in accordance with your specifications.

You may not obtain a refund for a Service if you have commenced use of the Service.

The transportation charges set out in paragraph 7.2 section D below will apply.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Thats the US... one I linked for was the UK

Interesting...must be a difference in laws governing retail sales between the countries.

But it's still very interesting that PillarFan1 was able to get an exception to the US policy...I've always heard that they were very strict about not allowing BTO returns (in the US at least).

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Well, I'll be damned. They took it, and I've got a new C2D MBP on order! It did cost me $200 to get them to take it back, though.

Apple's successfully gotten them a customer for life now!

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Interesting...must be a difference in laws governing retail sales between the countries.

But it's still very interesting that PillarFan1 was able to get an exception to the US policy...I've always heard that they were very strict about not allowing BTO returns (in the US at least).

Yeah, I knew I had heard of it being strict before, and that was written proof, so thanks for that, but lucky for me being in the UK :p

Well, I'll be damned. They took it, and I've got a new C2D MBP on order! It did cost me $200 to get them to take it back, though.

Apple's successfully gotten them a customer for life now!

Well done. You paid more for a laptop which in itself is good anyway, but I $200 isnt exactly much anyway.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Well done. You paid more for a laptop which in itself is good anyway, but I $200 isnt exactly much anyway.

I upgraded too, went from the low end MBP to the middle end newer MBP. So, all total, it cost me $600... But I've gone from CD 2.0ghz to 2.33ghz C2D, gotten quadruple the ram, and got a 160gb HDD (double the space). So, considering it was going to cost me $400 to simply upgrade the RAM and HDD, I think this was easily worth it.

volcano

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2006
It just depends.

I ordered a refurb 2GHz MacBook Pro the Thursday before the new ones were introduced. I received it last Wednesday, and when I open up Safari for the first time... lo and behold, the new MacBook Pros with the C2D were released.

I called up Apple because I wanted to return my laptop. I explained that I was upset because I just spent $1699 ($1840 with tax) on their website and now they were offering the exact same model for $1449. I was put on hold quite a few times, but in the end I was offered $250 back to compensate for the price difference.

I said thanks but no thanks -- mainly because with my education discount a stock model 15" MBP is only $1799 (about $1950 with tax).

I figured going from a 2GHz Core Duo / 512mb RAM / 80GB HDD / Single layer Superdrive / No FW800 to a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo / 1GB RAM / 120GB HDD / 6X Dual-layer Superdrive / FW800 was worth the $100 jump in price.

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
I figured going from a 2GHz Core Duo / 512mb RAM / 80GB HDD / Single layer Superdrive / No FW800 to a 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo / 1GB RAM / 120GB HDD / 6X Dual-layer Superdrive / FW800 was worth the $100 jump in price.
Oh it's definately worth it. The RAM alone more than covers the price gap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.