Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FongMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Has anybody been having random shut downs with their MBP? I would unplug my power cable and it would just shut down on me at random times and won't turn back on unless i plug in the power cable. Last night it was running fine until the battery said 79% then *BAM* shut down :confused: Earlier today, unplugged the cable. 94% *BAM* shuts down again...when i try to turn it back on i see the lil light at the front of the book but then shuts off again before screen even turns on....anybody else have problems similiar to this? book has never fallen...not to my knowledge at least *looking for any dents/scratches. Never been opened (too afraid to) so i can't figure it out. :(

SpAtZ

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2006
NY
I had the same problem it's the battery. They will replace it for free at the Apple Store.

FongMan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
Oh really? Great....now if only i didn't live in Jamaica without an Apple store :mad:

deutschzilla

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2006
What's going on?

I have a MBP, three months old, 10.4.6/2GHz/1Gb RAM. I don't spend too much time on battery. I have cool magnetic power anchors at work and at home ready to dock. But now at least a half dozen times I've been working away, minding my own business and poof! Black screen - OFF. If shut down would work like that I'd be happy, but it's not supposed to happen. Also, it's not off, it's kind of somewhere between sleep and off, but not completely off because there's something going on, but it can't be woken up. I run an Apple 23" at work and a Radius PrecisionView 21 at home and when it goes off, it's very abrupt as both monitor and laptop blink out simultaneously. I haven't had the opportunity to test whether it happens only when I'm powering another monitor, but as other readers have claimed that this happens when on battery, that's good enough for me. Could be the video card, but I can't imagine how it could be the battery. Any thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.