Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zenor

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Hello everyone,

Recently I used Onyx in order to perform a maintenance in my macbook pro.
I have noticed that folder creation/delete, disk eject(not CD), thumbnail load and such, have all slowed down.

Any suggestions?

moiety

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Did you restart? Onyx deletes certain system caches that need to be recreated the next time you boot. Things will be slower until they're re-created, then they will be faster. Try restarting again.

Also, did you delete any architectures/languages inside applications? That's often playing with fire...

Zenor

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Thank you for your reply moiety. Yes I have restarted my MBP many times after the maintenance, but it's still slow.

No, I haven't deleted any application languages.
Any other idea? It's about a week or so, from the onyx maintenance and my MBP is still slow.

Zenor

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Well the performance hasn't slowed down. Only things like the ones I mentioned on the first post...

waterkamp

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
try to run your MBP 2 - 3 days straight without shutting down, or you could leave it to sleep when not using, you could use istat to check the uptime... I read somewhere about unix system that had their own maintenance system every morning ( CMIIW )

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Zenor: Did you repair disk permissions and zap the PRAM?

try to run your MBP 2 - 3 days straight without shutting down, or you could leave it to sleep when not using, you could use istat to check the uptime... I read somewhere about unix system that had their own maintenance system every morning ( CMIIW )

Those scripts get run are what Onyx forces the computer to do.

Zenor

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Yeah, I did repair disk permissions and reset PRAM.

I have now created a full backup of my mac HD into an external drive using the disk utility. Should I try a OSX restore or follow waterkamp's suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Zenor

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2008
Sorry for bumping this thread, but are there any ways to reset the folder permissions or something like that? Seems like this problem occurs on my folders(they used to open/delete/create instantly).

Could it be a trojan? or...?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.