Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jan 30, 2006
You said that you were not going to be to many weddings right? Then why buy another camera for only this kind of situations? I think it would be probably better just to rent a camera or buy a used XT, just to feel safe that if your came goes bad, you have another one back there.

A Canon 40D isn't going to improve your photography that much. A good lens would definitely help you a lot.

You haven't told us what kind of photography you do the most. Maybe with that information we could help you more and give you more suggestions.:)

As for lenses, do you only have the 50 f/1.8 and the 75-300?

Zer0

macrumors regular
May 22, 2007
I would think....

Sell iMac. Buy Macbook + External monitor. Buy a used low end dslr body and then buy lens with what's left, or save whatever is left till you can save up some more for a more expensive lens!

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
If you're doing weddings I would think you'll need at least one very nice flash. The built-in one probably isn't going to cut it. Figure about $300 for that, give or take.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Right now, I'm on a 17" Core Duo iMac and I shoot with a Canon Rebel XT. I'm starting to get a lot more serious about this photography thing. Let's say I have a little over $2000 in my budget. The question is, should I get a Macbook Pro or should I upgrade to a Canon 40D and settle with a Macbook?

What lenses do you have? It these are low-end f/5.6 zooms then I think you'd get more for your money keeping the Rebel XT and spending the money on a lens or two. I doubt a Rebel to 40D upgrade will even show up in the final results. No one looking at a print would know which body you used. However $2,000 spent on optics could open up new areas of photograhy and allow you to take different photos.

As for how to decide about the computer, if it is slowing you down and you want to be able to work faster then put a number on it. How much time is the slow computer costing you? Are you waiting for the machine an hour a day if you add it all up. Or is it 15 minutes a day. Now put a value on your time. Is it $25 and hour or $100? How long will the new computer take to "pay for itself"? I think the answer depends on if you are using Photoshop 6 hours a day or 6 hours a month.

The objective way to think about this is to figure out where to but the money based on how it will effect your portfolio of work that you have to show or sell. I think an SLR body or computer upgrades would have very marginal effect on your end produt while lighting and lens upgrades will have more noticable effect. On top of that lighting and optics tend to hold value for well over a decade while the computer or body will loose value and need to be replaced again in four or five years.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
The guy I work for (at a professional photography studio) made a suggestion that I forget the laptop, borrow lenses from him (a 24-70mm f2.8L and a fisheye), and buy a 5D. His reasoning is that I need to upgrade from the XT anyways, and the 5D will last a while, and I'll be happy with it for a long time. Hmmm... thoughts?

I'll say this again (I think I've already said it a few times), I own a 50mm f1.8 as well as a 75-300mm f4.5.6. The 50mm is what I use the most now for the kinda work I've been doing, so with a new body, I'd probably be using that a lot anyways. And I think it's a fine lens for a while till I can save up (or decide to go into debt) for some L glass.

As for flash, I'm planning on buying a 580EX with whatever extra money I have left over, plus a memory card or two.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
The guy I work for (at a professional photography studio) made a suggestion that I forget the laptop, borrow lenses from him (a 24-70mm f2.8L and a fisheye), and buy a 5D. His reasoning is that I need to upgrade from the XT anyways, and the 5D will last a while, and I'll be happy with it for a long time. Hmmm... thoughts?

I'll say this again (I think I've already said it a few times), I own a 50mm f1.8 as well as a 75-300mm f4.5.6. The 50mm is what I use the most now for the kinda work I've been doing, so with a new body, I'd probably be using that a lot anyways. And I think it's a fine lens for a while till I can save up (or decide to go into debt) for some L glass.

As for flash, I'm planning on buying a 580EX with whatever extra money I have left over, plus a memory card or two.
I think buying the 5D is bad advice. Getting good glass for yourself is way more important. What if your loan privileges disappear. You'll have a $2K+ camera with $200 lenses? That's will be a serious waste of resources. WHile the 5D will serve you well for a while, so will the 40D. But good lenses can serve you for decades if well cared for.

I think the consensus is pretty much your photography will advance more if you use your funds for good glass.

Jan 30, 2006
I think buying the 5D is bad advice.

Seconded. You will obviously need to upgrade from your XT sometime in the future, but if it is only one year old, then why the need of a new camera right away? The 5D would give you the same photos you get with the XT with your current lenses. It's nice to have a good body like the one of the 5D, but it is not a necessity.

Not buying a laptop right now may be a good idea, unless you feel you really need it.

Buy a good flash, then buy a good lens. And then in 2-3 years, when your XT is old, buy a new body.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I think people are forgetting that I'm shooting a wedding in Portugal. I don't feel comfortable taking only my XT, especially when my friends paid a lot of money for me to get there (I didn't have to pay a dime out of my pocket for transportation). I need some solid backup in case something goes wrong. And renting a body I'm completely unfamiliar with seems like a bad idea too.

The 5D may be overkill, but I do plan on doing this for a while. And with the $300 discount on the 5D or the $200 discount on the 40D they have going now, it's just really hard to pass up when it's something I do need. I still get great glass from the guy I work for for free, and I can then start saving up for some of my own better glass, in the meantime renting some (which is much cheaper than renting a body) whenever I really need it. I dunno, that just doesn't seem like a bad idea to me, since having to rent a body every time I need one seems like it might be more expensive in the long run.

I don't mean for it to sound like I've made up my mind and don't care what you guys think. I just need to reason my way through this, and I do appreciate your help. I think if I wasn't in need of a second body, I'd be much more likely to agree full heartedly with you. But since I do need another body, renting it for as long as I need it and taking it to another continent might be difficult and expensive, and buying a cheap used body seems like a waste.

glennyboiwpg

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2007
I think people are forgetting that I'm shooting a wedding in Portugal. I don't feel comfortable taking only my XT, especially when my friends paid a lot of money for me to get there (I didn't have to pay a dime out of my pocket for transportation). I need some solid backup in case something goes wrong. And renting a body I'm completely unfamiliar with seems like a bad idea too.

The 5D may be overkill, but I do plan on doing this for a while. And with the $300 discount on the 5D or the $200 discount on the 40D they have going now, it's just really hard to pass up when it's something I do need. I still get great glass from the guy I work for for free, and I can then start saving up for some of my own better glass, in the meantime renting some (which is much cheaper than renting a body) whenever I really need it. I dunno, that just doesn't seem like a bad idea to me, since having to rent a body every time I need one seems like it might be more expensive in the long run.

I think you answered your own question... If you feel that you really should have a backup, then that would imply that buying the camera would be the better choice.

One thing to consider... if you feel that your macbook is giving you poor performance, maybe all you need is to up the ram.

So up the ram, and buy a good camera body.

Thats my vote.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I think you answered your own question... If you feel that you really should have a backup, then that would imply that buying the camera would be the better choice.

One thing to consider... if you feel that your macbook is giving you poor performance, maybe all you need is to up the ram.

So up the ram, buy Good Glass, and buy a used camera body.

Thats my vote.

Well, I have an iMac now, not a Macbook, but yeah, the RAM is maxed out right now. Unfortunately the CD iMac maxed out at 2GB instead of 4GB. Oh well, it doesnt run too bad at all actually. So a new computer is a lot lower on my priority list now. But thanks for the advice.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
If you really want a new camera body for the sheer gizmo fun factor, then go for it, but your argument that the wedding in Portugal somehow demands it just doesn't fly. You'll be doing your friends in Portugal a much greater favor by showing up with lenses that can capture photos that you couldn't capture otherwise. And if you own those lenses, you'll always have them immediately available.

If you really want a back-up body for this wedding, perhaps your buddy with the lenses could loan you one; alternatively you could pick up a used camera body for a few hundred bucks to give you some peace of mind.

The chances that you'll need to use a back-up camera body are pretty slim. The possibility that you'll need a good assortment of lenses is guaranteed. The latter is really the best investment.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If those are your only two choices, and like you said, you're getting serious about photography, then the 40D would be the choice. A MB would be more than capable of handling your processing needs. With the Canon instant rebates, you're looking at around $920 give or take for the 40D body. I don't know if you would sell your XT or not. You're getting better AF (which is really important) in addition to higher FPS and live-view. If you really want at MBP, get the 40D for say $950, sell the XT for about $300-350. That will live you with roughly $1,300 (give or take). You can always purchase a refurb'd MBP on apple.com for $1,650.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
If you really want a new camera body for the sheer gizmo fun factor, then go for it, but your argument that the wedding in Portugal somehow demands it just doesn't fly. You'll be doing your friends in Portugal a much greater favor by showing up with lenses that can capture photos that you couldn't capture otherwise. And if you own those lenses, you'll always have them immediately available.

If you really want a back-up body for this wedding, perhaps your buddy with the lenses could loan you one; alternatively you could pick up a used camera body for a few hundred bucks to give you some peace of mind.

The chances that you'll need to use a back-up camera body are pretty slim. The possibility that you'll need a good assortment of lenses is guaranteed. The latter is really the best investment.

I already said though that I have lenses I can borrow for free. The guy I work for has some extra lenses I can borrow, but he doesn't have extra bodies I can borrow. Either way, I'm showing up to this wedding with 2 bodies and some great lenses. The only question is which I get to keep afterwards. And I still think renting good lenses when I need them is going to be cheaper in the long run than renting bodies, let alone the fact that renting a body I'm unfamiliar with is a bad idea. An unfamiliar lens works the exact same and there's no learning curve. All things I've already stated. No one's really come up with a good argument against this that I've seen, but I'm open to hearing other arguments.

And buying a cheap used body, as I said before, that I'm just going to get rid of in a year seems like the worst idea out of any.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
I already said though that I have lenses I can borrow for free. The guy I work for has some extra lenses I can borrow, but he doesn't have extra bodies I can borrow. Either way, I'm showing up to this wedding with 2 bodies and some great lenses. The only question is which I get to keep afterwards. And I still think renting good lenses when I need them is going to be cheaper in the long run than renting bodies, let alone the fact that renting a body I'm unfamiliar with is a bad idea. An unfamiliar lens works the exact same and there's no learning curve. All things I've already stated. No one's really come up with a good argument against this that I've seen, but I'm open to hearing other arguments.

And buying a cheap used body, as I said before, that I'm just going to get rid of in a year seems like the worst idea out of any.
Just buy the 40D, because regardless of all the advice you're getting about lenses, you're rationalizing that it isn't good advice for you. Hell, get the 5D with the great rabtes they have going, and then you have a nice handling full-frame camera that takes soft images with your slow 70-300 consumer lens. And you can get all kinds of crops -- with all the megapixels you have -- that reveal why your consumer quality lens isn't used by pros. :(

Having a good lens and being able to borrow or rent one are very different things. You will miss out on a lot of great ad hoc photo opportunities because you don't have that great lens handy. :(

My $0.02. :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Okay, I'm not a Canon guy, but - if you're set on getting another body, it seems to me the 40D (or perhaps the new Rebel) makes more sense. If you go with the 5D, then you basically have to have two sets of lenses because of planning around the different crop factors (I'm thinking in terms of your current XT being a backup body, per your comments).

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Bah, what part of "renting lenses" do people not understand? I hardly use the 75-300mm anyways. The 50mm f1.8 is what I use most of the time, and it's plenty fast for my own personal photography. If I get any bigger, important shoots for clients, I can easily rent a lens for a weekend. I still don't see what is so unreasonable about that, and the only thing people have been saying against it is that I'm "rationalizing" or writing me off like I'm an idiot, and I don't really appreciate that. It sounds like some of you guys are more determined for me to get what you think I should get than me.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Okay, I'm not a Canon guy, but - if you're set on getting another body, it seems to me the 40D (or perhaps the new Rebel) makes more sense. If you go with the 5D, then you basically have to have two sets of lenses because of planning around the different crop factors (I'm thinking in terms of your current XT being a backup body, per your comments).

That is a good point. Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't thought of that. I'll definitely factor that in.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Bah, what part of "renting lenses" do people not understand?

Okay...

1) Chill :D (not just you; everyone who's getting so worked up over this)

2) While there are some pro photographers on here, most of us are hobbyists - so our situations are different. You're doing this as a job, so thinking about the importance of a second body makes sense - but for someone like me, having a second body falls under "nice to have" but not "critical to my livelihood". People on both sides of this argument need to realize different people have different, yet legitimate, perspectives. A working pro may only need a particular lens once in a blue moon, so renting makes sense.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Okay...

1) Chill :D (not just you; everyone who's getting so worked up over this)

2) While there are some pro photographers on here, most of us are hobbyists - so our situations are different. You're doing this as a job, so thinking about the importance of a second body makes sense - but for someone like me, having a second body falls under "nice to have" but not "critical to my livelihood". People on both sides of this argument need to realize different people have different, yet legitimate, perspectives. A working pro may only need a particular lens once in a blue moon, so renting makes sense.

Thank you. It's just frustrating when I present an option and people dismiss it without even providing a reasonable argument as to why that applies to me. I would full heartedly agree with everyone here if I only needed one body. I'm a reasonable man who responds to reasonable arguments, for or against me. If someone was in a similar situation as me (on the cusp of being a pro, decided to go for expensive bodies and renting lenses as needed) could come and tell me they wish they had done it the other way around and give me reasons x, y, and z for why they wish they did it differently, I'd be much more likely to see differently.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I was using a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS on a Rebel XT a few years back -- it seemed kinda funny at the time (pro lens, consumer body). I look back and marvel at some of the photos I took. I also had the 70-300mm (right beforehand) - and I didn't keep many of those shots. Was it because I was slightly less experienced or was it the lens? Yes.

Bottom line is, your want your glass to reflect your skill/interest, if financially possible. If you want to buy a 5D or 1Ds Mark III from me, I will be happy to sell you one. Keep using inferior lenses for really important paying work and you'll be sorry no matter what body you have.

Portability, in your case, does not trump the need for good glass. Get an 85mm f/1.8 or a 135mm f/2L -- those lenses (especially the 135mm) you will keep for years and years. You can save up and get an XYZ portable later on, get better glass now.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I was using a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS on a Rebel XT a few years back -- it seemed kinda funny at the time (pro lens, consumer body). I look back and marvel at some of the photos I took. I also had the 70-300mm (right beforehand) - and I didn't keep many of those shots. Was it because I was slightly less experienced or was it the lens? Yes.

Bottom line is, your want your glass to reflect your skill/interest, if financially possible. If you want to buy a 5D or 1Ds Mark III from me, I will be happy to sell you one. Keep using inferior lenses for really important paying work and you'll be sorry no matter what body you have.

Portability, in your case, does not trump the need for good glass. Get an 85mm f/1.8 or a 135mm f/2L -- those lenses (especially the 135mm) you will keep for years and years. You can save up and get an XYZ portable later on, get better glass now.

At this point, the MB or MBP is out. I realize how unnecessary it is for me right now.

If I get the 40D instead of the 5D, I'll have the extra money to buy a flash, some memory cards, and maybe a lens depending on how my financial situation goes. So, I may be leaning towards that, but I still have some thinking to do. And either way, for important shoots (like the one I have in Portugal), I'll rent some nice glass. I definitely know the importance of nice glass. I think renting seems like a perfectly viable option. I'd never show up to a shoot with a 5D and a 17-55mm f3.5-5.6 ;)

Jan 30, 2006
OK, let's try and calm down the situation and start making some new propositions here.:)

First, why is getting a used XT just for having as a back up camera a bad idea? You'll only use it if things go wrong with your current camera. The possibilities of you current camera to go bad are minimal, so the backup body is just for your peace of mind.

Then, I know getting a pro body is a very tentative option. I would love to have with me a D300, but after some thinking, I knew that better glass would make me take better photos. The D40x I have now can take as good photos as the D300, but my 18-55 kit lens would never take photos like the pro lenses from Nikon. I think (again, with my limited knowledge of your situation), that you would have better result from having good lenses than from a good body.

I know that a friend of your can lend you very good lenses, but still, if you are a professional photographer, or intend to become one, having good lenses always with you is a must. Imagine that your friend tells you a couple of days before the wedding that he won't be able to lend you the lens. What would you do?

I'll ask you again a question I asked a couple of post before: what other type of photography you make?

I'm telling all this with my best wishes to help you end taking a good decision.:)

JNB

macrumors 604
I guess I'll chime back in a bit. Going from an XT to a 5D is like going from a Cessna to a Learjet. Sure, it's a monster body, but what can you get from that that you can't from a 40D (or for that matter, the XT?). Do you really need that much more body (and blowing the budget) when a lesser body will give you just as much bang for a whole lot less buck? Are your needs and skills going to be able to take advantage of the extra meat of the 5D before it becomes obsolete? In point of fact, the only justification for a 5D (or 1Ds) is if you absolutely require full-frame. Also, don't forget that with those two, you can toss the EF-S lenses--they aren't compatible.

The perceived need for a second body goes back to pre-digital days, and had more significance then. Today, there's still a lot of rationalization for it, most of that based in misconceptions (or a need to look more "pro"). Swapping lenses? Takes no more time then grabbing the second body, powering up, and composing/shooting. Assuming the second body already had the right lens. Catastrophic failure protection? Unlikely, really. Besides, it's just more crap to find a spot for in the bag, along with lenses, flashes, & on & on. Multiple bodies are more for a serious, committed, this-is-my-life's-work photographer, not for someone starting out. I'd be willing to bet you haven't gotten close to pushing the limits of the XT yet.

Renting glass is only a good value proposition in two cases: You want to try a lens for a few hundred shots before committing to it permanently, or you only need that lens for a single assignment. Renting the same lens more than a couple of times is beginning to throw money away, honestly. But, as you said, you can borrow glass from your friend for nothing, so the renting issue is moot (except for glass he doesn't already have).

I actually didn't even pay for my XT, but every dime goes into glass (or accessories), since I'll have that regardless of the body I have. Sure, I'm seriously jonesing for a 40D, but simply can't justify the expense when the XT is performing flawlessly and producing wonderful results in all types of imaging.

Bottom line, you have to choose for yourself, based on your needs, shooting style, and budget. We all have different priorities in those, so any advice or observations are based on our own perceptions, but also leavened with a healthy dose of hard-earned experience. The biggest issue here is that we don't want to see a post in a month about how disappointed you are with a bad purchase choice, we want to see you insanely happy with whatever you got (along with some shots, of course!).

"Big-body Syndrome" is very closely related to "White Lens Syndrome." Both are fun, stupidly expensive, and almost always purely emotional in basis. Learn to resist! :D

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
OK, let's try and calm down the situation and start making some new propositions here.:)

First, why is getting a used XT just for having as a back up camera a bad idea? You'll only use it if things go wrong with your current camera. The possibilities of you current camera to go bad are minimal, so the backup body is just for your peace of mind.

To me, it just seems like spending a good $300-400 on JUST "peace of mind" isn't worth it. I come from the mindset that it's better to blow your budget on something you can grow into. Buying a 40D gives me peace of mind AND a kick ass upgrade. It just seems like it's more worth the actual money in the long run to buy something that will last longer and has the ability to fit my changing needs in the future as my skills grow rather than buying something cheap on impulse to make myself feel better.

However, I just remember I do have the option of borrowing my sister's Rebel XTi. The problem with that option is that I won't really know for sure until close to around when I have to leave, and if I do have to end up buying another body, I'd like to have a bit of experience with it before having to use it for a wedding. I may have to talk with her and see what my chances are at this point.

quote]Then, I know getting a pro body is a very tentative option. I would love to have with me a D300, but after some thinking, I knew that better glass would make me take better photos. The D40x I have now can take as good photos as the D300, but my 18-55 kit lens would never take photos like the pro lenses from Nikon. I think (again, with my limited knowledge of your situation), that you would have better result from having good lenses than from a good body.[/quote]

I don't disagree. I think however though that my motivations aren't purely on getting better images with a better body (though that does play a role). It's that, combined with the necessity of a backup. I figure, if I'm gonna get something for a backup, I might as well do it right and get something that's worth the money spent.

I know that a friend of your can lend you very good lenses, but still, if you are a professional photographer, or intend to become one, having good lenses always with you is a must. Imagine that your friend tells you a couple of days before the wedding that he won't be able to lend you the lens. What would you do?

That would certainly suck. I'm beginning to lean towards the 40D, and in that case I will likely have left over money for one good-great lens since I'm not getting a laptop anymore.

I'll ask you again a question I asked a couple of post before: what other type of photography you make?

At the moment, it's mostly portraits. Bands, children, couples, families, weddings, etc. I also do some of my own art photography, and I'd like to get more into that in the future. But I think portraits will always be something I do, at least on the side to make some extra money since art photography is REALLY tough to make a living in.

I'm telling all this with my best wishes to help you end taking a good decision.:)

Thank you. I really do appreciate it :)

I guess I'll chime back in a bit. Going from an XT to a 5D is like going from a Cessna to a Learjet. Sure, it's a monster body, but what can you get from that that you can't from a 40D (or for that matter, the XT?). Do you really need that much more body (and blowing the budget) when a lesser body will give you just as much bang for a whole lot less buck? Are your needs and skills going to be able to take advantage of the extra meat of the 5D before it becomes obsolete? In point of fact, the only justification for a 5D (or 1Ds) is if you absolutely require full-frame. Also, don't forget that with those two, you can toss the EF-S lenses--they aren't compatible.

All very good points. I actually knew very little of the 5D other than it being full frame and it being a kick ass body when my friend suggested it. I did just a little research on it a little while ago and realized that it's actually pretty old and missing a lot of the newer features that Canon has been introducing in all their newer models. This coupled with the fact that they just announced that $300 rebate, to me it seems they may be gearing up for a new model. Not that the 5D is no good without those spiffy tech options, but I'd just hate to buy a 5D for $1900 and then 3 months later Canon announces a newer model and the 5D drops in price. Add that to the stuff you said and the fact that I may now be able to get a good lens to go with the 40D, I'm beginning to think the 5D is less of an option.

The perceived need for a second body goes back to pre-digital days, and had more significance then. Today, there's still a lot of rationalization for it, most of that based in misconceptions (or a need to look more "pro"). Swapping lenses? Takes no more time then grabbing the second body, powering up, and composing/shooting. Assuming the second body already had the right lens. Catastrophic failure protection? Unlikely, really. Besides, it's just more crap to find a spot for in the bag, along with lenses, flashes, & on & on. Multiple bodies are more for a serious, committed, this-is-my-life's-work photographer, not for someone starting out. I'd be willing to bet you haven't gotten close to pushing the limits of the XT yet.

I'd be inclined to agree... if I didn't know the following story. I knew a woman who was shooting a wedding with her DSLR, when all the sudden in the middle of it, it just craps out on her, and she had no backup. She ended up having to grab someone's P&S. Can you imagine traveling 1000's of miles to another country on someone else's money, show up to the wedding, and end up having to use a P&S? Unlikely, maybe. But isn't that something that separates pros from consumers? Being prepared no matter what unlikely situation occurs?

Renting glass is only a good value proposition in two cases: You want to try a lens for a few hundred shots before committing to it permanently, or you only need that lens for a single assignment. Renting the same lens more than a couple of times is beginning to throw money away, honestly. But, as you said, you can borrow glass from your friend for nothing, so the renting issue is moot (except for glass he doesn't already have).

That's a good point, and I'll try and take that into consideration. My friend can actually only let me borrow these lenses for this one wedding. So it's not quite moot.

I actually didn't even pay for my XT, but every dime goes into glass (or accessories), since I'll have that regardless of the body I have. Sure, I'm seriously jonesing for a 40D, but simply can't justify the expense when the XT is performing flawlessly and producing wonderful results in all types of imaging.

Bottom line, you have to choose for yourself, based on your needs, shooting style, and budget. We all have different priorities in those, so any advice or observations are based on our own perceptions, but also leavened with a healthy dose of hard-earned experience. The biggest issue here is that we don't want to see a post in a month about how disappointed you are with a bad purchase choice, we want to see you insanely happy with whatever you got (along with some shots, of course!).

Thanks. I'll say it to you as well, I really do appreciate all the help. You've made some good points I'll have to keep in mind when making my final decision.

"Big-body Syndrome" is very closely related to "White Lens Syndrome." Both are fun, stupidly expensive, and almost always purely emotional in basis. Learn to resist! :D

What's the syndrome called when you want to completely blow off Canon and any existing Canon gear you have and make the completely unreasonable but incredibly tempting leap to a Nikon D300? :D

Must..... resist..... D300.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.