Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
Does your macbook pro whine and if so what probram do you use to get rid of it. Second will apple ever have a software update to fix it.

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
The whine issue isn't too terrible for me. The force quit hack works well enough for me that I don't bother with it, and it's the least power intensive of any of the anti-whine options available, though I've heard it mentioned by some that simply replacing the power adapter works wonders. :)

Navintar

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2006
California
As aaron said, the whine can be fixed by replacement of a main logic broad. When replaced, the whine is significantly reduced but not completely gone. It became apparent that apple has fixed this issue with new board for week 24+ macbook pros. Dig apple discussion board for more info.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
i have the Hissing noise (similar to the whine) but i use the Mirror widget hack, i just keep it down in the bottom right corner of my screen, so all i see is a few pixels of the top left corner of the widget. the only downside is that the green light next to the iSight stays lit up, doesnt bother me but this guy definately seems to have a problem.

zign

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
London
Xander562 said:
i have the Hissing noise (similar to the whine) but i use the Mirror widget hack, i just keep it down in the bottom right corner of my screen, so all i see is a few pixels of the top left corner of the widget. the only downside is that the green light next to the iSight stays lit up, doesnt bother me but this guy definately seems to have a problem.

Open Dashboard --> Start the Mirror widget --> Close the Mirror widget --> Quit Dashboard --> put your computer to sleep by closing the lid --> Wake it up and the whine is gone. It will appear again if you use your iSight.

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
Got the whine but don't need it fixed

My april MBP 2.0Ghz has the processor whine. Most of the time I use it in the office and there is enough noise that it doesn't bother me. At home I could notice it so I installed ShhMBP which has got rid of it entirely :p. It hasn't had any effect on the battery life or temperature that I can see. I still get 2.5 hours playing a DVD on it or about 4 hours of regular use and generally runs at about 45-55C. All OS and firmware updates applied (Apple really needs to fix the airport connection problems in 10.4.7 as it never connects first time when it used to with 10.4.6 :mad: )

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
GreatDrok said:
All OS and firmware updates applied (Apple really needs to fix the airport connection problems in 10.4.7 as it never connects first time when it used to with 10.4.6 :mad: )

No AirPort connections issues here, so it may be isolated to either hardware or a software problem on your side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.