Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyonsden

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2002
Illinois

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Wow. That's insane. 1 billion tracks? How many people in the US have a computer connected to the Net (and fast enough to make it worth downloading a few Mb of data for a song). 1 billion sounds like enough for everyone to get at least 1 track!

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
there are far less than a billion people in the US. more like 250-300 million, i don't remember exactly. take the fraction that are active computer/music users, who have iTunes, and that's quite a few songs per person. unfortunately, i'm guessing a huge percentage will be given to people that will never use them... i wonder if McD will pay for the actual number of songs downloaded?

pnw

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
That's crazy. I wonder how they'll go about the giveaway part. Would they give coupons to customers? No, then they'd have to pay for all of the tunes no matter what. Hmmm...

Squire

ckwm

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
UK
Got to be a good thing though, even if just to get people downloading iTunes. With Pepsi and MacD into the iTunes store it looks as if it is fast becoming the standard.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Weird... McDonalds has always been a Coca Cola sponsor. I wonder how they feel being promotional partners with Pepsi...

Anyways, this can only be a good thing for Apple. Yay.:p

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
I'm sure they'll end up only paying for the amount of songs actually downloaded. Many of them will go undownloaded. Who knows... It will probably be a coupon or something attached to the drinks or french fry cartons.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
holy crap, that's one big revenue stream for Apple and the lables. To bad I don't eat fast-food garbage anymore

machan

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
wisconsin
this is totally insane. 1 billion!?!?! i hate mcdonald's, but i'm glad apple got a billion dollars out of the deal.

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
This will be very good for apple....

Apple needs to attract younger people. Im gunna eat at mcdonalds more :D.

scem0

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
1 billion bigmacs to go :D

I don't eat there, so I lose. Ugh! What to do, what to do.....maybe some late night dumpster diving an get all the one thrown away ;)

D

machinehien

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2003
houston
that is sick

Sound's good for apple. Not too sure about how it positions the brand though. Pepsi was a little of a stretch but there was history there. McDonalds though? Not too sure if I am loving it.

But hey, a billion dollars is a billion dollars.

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
I can understand why this got moved to the Front Page. What exposure! Is Apple going to be doing the majority of the advertising or will Rotten Ron's take care of it?

I thought iTMS only had, like, 400,000 songs! ;)

Sorry. Weak.

Squire

bipto

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2003
Minneapolis, MN
Usually, promotions like this one that can cost a whole lotta money are insured against the entire amount coming in. McDonald's technically isn't paying anything for the songs, they're paying an insurance company who will end up paying Apple when it's all said and done.

That's how is usually works, anyway...

maxtrax

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2003
Albany, NY
I read that both Pepsi and McD's are paying the actual 99 cents per downloaded song. So all this promo costs Apple nothing and they sell millions of songs? How does this work, anyone know?

Malic

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
Music is a killer app

Before iTMS, it was pre-relaunch Napster (prNapster?). All the talk was about "This shouldn't be piracy but form of guerilla advertising".

Now it comes full circle, the dream is realized; Music is something YOU GIVE AWAY AS AN ENTICEMENT TO BUY SOMETHING ELSE! In the prNapster days, music was an unofficial enticement to buy broadband. Now, it's potentially MUCH more.

It's so funny to picture a near-future in which record labels sign BIG contracts to give away product - willingly.

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
it shows how much SJ is so much ahead of - urrrggh buymusic.com and others - there i said it - it is not even funny anymore.
good for apple, good for consumers, good for mcd, bad for your waistline

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.