McLaren pimp their ride

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Feb 11, 2006.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Nothing else to say other than... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :p

Bling, Bling!

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It looks.........busy.

The Formula 1 equivalent of wearing a loud shirt. :rolleyes:

I was always a fan of the Mclaren livery - but this...

3. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Woking, UK. :D

I seriously think they should just go back to Bruce Orange. Although this way Schumi can see the McLarens in the rain...

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Jesus christ, it looks like they've let a 4 year old loose!

oooohhhh, more curvy bits, more bits sticking out there, oh and there!

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, the way the rules attack downforce, get used to all the weird little aero bits - every square centimeter they lose off the wings they'll try to tack on elsewhere I guess.

7. mpw Guest

Why don't they set a max downforce rather than have teams add all that crap?

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

How would they measure that to determine compliance though? They'd have to stick each car in a neutral wind tunnel or something. I wonder if the teams have managed to gain back (with all those little winglets) the downforce they lost after the wings were reduced for '05.

9. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    reminds me of the old indy cars from back in the day when our nigel drove them for some reason.

quite quite vulgar ;)

10. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Because that defeats the point of F1, it is after all a constructors championship. Remove what little possibilities they have for technical innovation and we might as well have a spec series such as A1GP. :eek:

I do however agree that they should ban winglets, maybe through a 'literal' rule, restrict body work dimensions and that no device can be added on to increase downforce etc etc.

However... winglets look to be the least of McLarens worrys. heheh.

Where's the spinning rims??? :eek: :p :p :p

I recall reading comments from Technical Directors that by the end of 2005 they were approaching 2004 levels of downforce.

Also on one of the F1 boards, I've been reading comments that Ferrari (and McLaren) are experimenting with 'memory composites' to try to create some kind of artifical aerodynamic stall under the car to increase straightline speed, by disrupting downforce. All sounds very complex, and I don't really understand it... but sounds pukka though. :)

11. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

"Fugly" is the word you're looking for. The chrome could've worked - was kinda hoping that Red Bull's cars would look a bit like their cans (chrome and navy) but the chrome, the Vodafone ed, the Johnnie Walker black...ugh.:eek:
    Been a bad year for liveries. The Renault one is always horrible, Ferrari too bright, and then BMW and Williams contrive to produce twins apart from the nose cone. Even the BAR looks bad with the messy aerodynamic bits.

mofs

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Jaguar looked pretty cool...kinda miss that livery. Others might disagree but I thought Minardi and Jordan were tasteful, if a bit reserved.

I agree, chrome might work in a Red Bull livery...but def not on the McLaren. Counterfit is right - Orange would have been a better move.

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Agreed. Their green was really nice. I heard they spent a ridiculous amount of time and money getting just the right shade of green for the television cameras. :cool:

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Speaking of bling...

Remember when Jaguar put those huge $$$ diamonds on the nose of their cars at Monaco? Then one of them crashed, and I don't think they ever found the diamond...:eek:

15. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

But we're probably talking about adding about 150 I-HP, who could have a problem with that? And spinny wheels are for SUV's duh, they add I-traction, something about more angular momentum on the wheels...

16. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

17. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

It looks like a model car that someone's put together, but the glue dried too fast and loads of random bits stuck to it.

It'd be really nice if F1 didn't suck this year. The racing in A1 is so much more interesting, two races in a row where someone's come from last place to win. Way too many driver aids in F1 mean that bad drivers can get away with mistakes, and good drivers are hampered by computers.

18. Revlimit Punk macrumors regular

Revlimit Punk

I actually like the body design and shape. I dislike the red front and rear wing though.
    Red goes along nicely with black and silver, but they should have used it for little details (like the "thin" red line)... but maybe they will put more sponsors over them, so who knows...

I don't get what is all this complaining about all those aerodinamic wings scattered across the car...

More wings = more flying debris during crashes = more fun :D

19. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Kimi said the car looks a lot better "live" than in the pictures. Let's wait and see how it looks like on TV ;)

20. Malcster macrumors 6502

Couldnt there be some safety issues with this?

in that if it was a good, bright sun shiny day arent the other drivers going to get reflection/glare off this thing! perhaps its mclarens new strategy ;)

21. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

hahahahahahaha you can bet your life that should McLaren start whipping everyone, that other teams will raise that exact argument. :p

I wonder if it aids in cooling the engine bay though?

I doubt they will though, the Mercedes engine already is lacking grunt and reliability, and with the loss of 3 key design personnel, me thinks McLaren are in the sh*t. Big time.

All's good though... just means Kimi will go to Ferrari. ;) :D

22. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Probably.

Though the '80's aping red-pinstripe doesn't help it's case. heh. :p

Alesi's 'chrome' Merc DTM looked pretty sweet though. ;)

It's all gravy... if the car doesn't perform, then Kimi will leave, Montoya's already whoring himself out to Renault and they've already lost 3 key personnel. :eek:

23. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

A guy on F1-Total Photoshopped it... I hate orange, but it's a vast improvement on the red... :p highly unlikely though considering Vodafone join next season.

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That actually does look a lot better...although the chrome is just not doing it for me.

25. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i dont know, i quite like the chrome. its a bit different, it adds a different colour to the grid (if thats what you could call it) and i think it will get what they want - more camera time.

but i dont like the red bits also!