Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vand0576

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
saint paul, mn
I know it has been talked about a lot, and everyone is anticipating it, and it will be great and rightgeous for x amount of reasons...but what is meant by "true video" ? All the typical sources have mentioned it, but not really mentioned what would make it so different as the current supposed "false video" ipod. The only conclusion I can assume that makes the "true video" different is that it would accept more file formats and varying resolutions. Is this true? Somebody please tell me what in the hell a "true video" iPod actually is, so I can be excited about it too.

-AJ

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Widescreen is the main thing. But yeah, I'm not sure what else video-related would be changed besides that. Possibly more formats supported, but I doubt it. Apple wants to promote QuickTime, thus supporting formats QuickTime understands, not DivX, WMV, etc, but that's what iSquint is for :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
vand0576 said:
I know it has been talked about a lot, and everyone is anticipating it, and it will be great and rightgeous for x amount of reasons...but what is meant by "true video" ? All the typical sources have mentioned it, but not really mentioned what would make it so different as the current supposed "false video" ipod. The only conclusion I can assume that makes the "true video" different is that it would accept more file formats and varying resolutions. Is this true? Somebody please tell me what in the hell a "true video" iPod actually is, so I can be excited about it too.

-AJ

Doesn't take much of a search to find out but I suppose we can explain one more time.

The mythological "True Video iPod" is the one we've been waiting for for a while. The general consensus is that the screen will take up most of the face of the iPod, be 16:9 in aspect ratio and a higher resolution than the current iPod is. Playback formats don't change.

It will have a larger HDD, ~80GB or more, the controls will be touch-screen activated and it could draw from Apple's Front Row program for it's User Interface.

Have a look through the guides for video iPod mock-ups.

The "True Video iPod" will be the one you can correctly call an "iPod Video" or "Video iPod" - to call the current 5G iPod that is a fallacy as video playback is not the main function of the design, it's still predominantly a music player.

Of course, this is all speculation. Such a device may never see the light of day but it is what we believe to be the next logical step in the evolution of the iPod's design and purpose.

Any questions?

vand0576

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
saint paul, mn
kainjow said:
Widescreen is the main thing. But yeah, I'm not sure what else video-related would be changed besides that. Possibly more formats supported, but I doubt it. Apple wants to promote QuickTime, thus supporting formats QuickTime understands, not DivX, WMV, etc, but that's what iSquint is for :)

I bought VisualHub (from the creator of iSquint) and it is quite the awesome software tool.

-AJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.