Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
Is there any software availble comparable to the Windows Media Center. Something i could control with a remote that basically just plays dvds, music, records tv....things of that nature. I want to make a pretty cool media setup with my PB and a cinema display. Also was kinda thinking itd be cool to control most of it with my bluetooth phone. :)

Any suggestions?

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
bursty said:
Is there any software availble comparable to the Windows Media Center. Something i could control with a remote that basically just plays dvds, music, records tv....things of that nature. I want to make a pretty cool media setup with my PB and a cinema display. Also was kinda thinking itd be cool to control most of it with my bluetooth phone. :)

Any suggestions?

I'm not a pro on this, so there's probably better options too, but:

You can use your BT phone with many apps already. You can control iTunes & DVD Player for instance.

Macupdate.com

Most of the software under the link are shareware, but if you're ready to pay something, those might do the trick.

Also, if you want to record tv, why not getting an Elgato EyeTV firewire box.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
You can turn your Mac into a TV with something called EyeTV I think and you can get the Keyspan remote to use as a remote control. You can already burn DVDs etc from iDVD but I'm not sure about recording live off the TV.

There's a great little program called Salling Clicker that allows you to control many aspects of your Mac via a Bluetooth mobile phone. Just google the relevant terms above and you should find some info about them.

Although I'd say that Apple's digital hub strategy is a better one than the old multimedia PC idea...

EDIT: Beaten to it!

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
With a Mac, EyeTV and EyeHome combination, you basically have everything needed for the functionality you're looking for and more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.