Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Kat~

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Montreal
I download many clips from which I make snapshots aka screen caps. VLC works and it's free but it's also wacky. When it works, it works well and if the clip being played is decent in quality then the caps turn out fairly well. The delay when you press pause in order to make the snapshot is too long and then I wind up making an excessive number of caps just to get the one (s) I want.

Free is always nice so are there any free media players that make snapshots, what about ones that aren't free? Or, is there a software that will take a snapshot of whatever is on the screen that will produce a decent quality cap? I know we have the Command-Shift-4 option but that would require tons of cropping.

Any recs?

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Mplayer has always been ok when vlc craps out. Free is free, but it is best just to load up your quicktime with all the codecs.

~Kat~

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Montreal
I have QT Pro and it works fine for most files but it doesn't make caps. I downloaded a trial of SnapzPro which is okay but I don't like the interface. Mplayer doesn't make caps to my knowledge although I will download it anyway, always looking for new players because no player I've ever tried plays every file well.

Thanks for the recs.

Yuvi

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
In QuickTime, using the copy command usually works for a screencap, then you can just paste it in Preview and save it somewhere. Also, you can use NicePlayer, and use the command-shift-4 then space shortcut to take a screenshot of the window. Since the window's borderless, it's the same as a screencap.

BTW, what kinds of files do you play that don't work well in QT?

~Kat~

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2006
Montreal
BTW, what kinds of files do you play that don't work well in QT?[/QUOTE]
I have Quicktime Pro but when I tried copy and then pasted in Preview and PS, nothing happened. It wasn't recognized.

I just tried Niceplayer and I liked it a lot. A BIG thank you for the recommendation. :)

Sometimes, my AVI files won't play in QT. Occasionally, WMV files won't play. I've even played files made with Mac software in MOV format that don't play smoothy; either the video keeps stalling or the audio doesn't sync up with the video. When QT doesn't work, VLC usually does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.