Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MSOkh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
My late-2011 MBP (1TB drive/16GB ram/2.4ghz) finally died on me last month and now I'm looking at a replacement.

I know the on-paper specs, I know about the keyboard, trackpad, ports, screen and speaker differences. In deciding between a 13" maxed out 2015 and a maxed out 2016 without touchbar, will I notice a difference between them, namely processor, PCI-e speed and graphics?

Yes I know the 15" has quadcore+dGPU but I like the portability of the 13" since I use this as my daily driver.

My use:
* Photoshop/Lightroom photo editing (<200 photos, once each month or two)
* Adobe Premiere 2017. Typically 1080p or 2k footage, no more than 10 minute long videos. Haven't jumped into 4k outside Google Pixel footage. Currently no after effect stuff. Typically 5 minute long videos. 30 minutes would be the longest and would be a major exception to what I do regularly.
* General web surfing, numerous tabs open, slack, mail client, spotify.

Thanks everyone.

There is a <$100 difference between them, with the 2016 model costing a little more.
The contenders are:

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-09%20at%203.52.15%20PM.png

Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I don't think you'd notice any performance difference, though on paper the 2016 is better. But with the teething issues I would consider the 2015

If I was looking to buy I'd consider waiting anorher 3-4 weeks to see if the 2016 issues get resolved.

kb3uru

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
Halethorpe
I would go with the 2015. As a photographer, who owns both the 2016 and the 2015 base 13's, I love having the SD card slot on the 2015. Yes the 2016 is smaller and lighter, but not by much. Only real advantage over slight graphics is SSD speeds. But remember, you're starting at 2.4 vs 3.1 initial speed. Do you use external monitors? Does your camera use SD, CF, or XQD? Performance is going to be similar, so it really boils down to what you feel comfortable using (aka living the dongle life.)

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I would say it all comes down to ports and keyboard preference. As kb3uru mentioned, the SD card slot and native ports (without dongles) is nice if you use them often. I elected to go with the 2015 recently but that was mainly price driven. I purchased a used model for $650. The $1499 base model 2016 with tax would have been almost $1,000 more. No chance I could justify that price difference. However for $100, I'd have gone for the 2016 since I don't mind the new keyboard or lack of traditional ports.

MSOkh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
I would go with the 2015. As a photographer, who owns both the 2016 and the 2015 base 13's, I love having the SD card slot on the 2015. Yes the 2016 is smaller and lighter, but not by much. Only real advantage over slight graphics is SSD speeds. But remember, you're starting at 2.4 vs 3.1 initial speed. Do you use external monitors? Does your camera use SD, CF, or XQD? Performance is going to be similar, so it really boils down to what you feel comfortable using (aka living the dongle life.)

* My camera uses SD but I cut my teeth on CF so, I spent years with carrying a card reader. While I really think there should have been an SD slot on the new model, I'd be using a small hub to manage the USB-C transition anyway, so I can write it off if I look towards the 2016 as my replacement.

* I spend 5-20hrs/month using an external, again nothing too crazy just extra real estate. Although as 4k becomes commonplace there is a real possibility that I'd have one 4k monitor in the next year or two.

QUESTION FOR YOU:
How fast does the 2016 charge? I can deal with shorter battery life if it charges quickly (my Google Pixel has quick charging via USB-C and I can seriously take it from almost dead to mostly full in under 30 min--- I absolutely love it).

kb3uru

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2016
Halethorpe
How fast does the 2016 charge? I can deal with shorter battery life if it charges quickly (my Google Pixel has quick charging via USB-C and I can seriously take it from almost dead to mostly full in under 30 min--- I absolutely love it).

It seems to charge fast, but honestly I'm not a good person to ask. Mine mostly says on the charger running 2 ultra wide monitors at work. I'm taking it to Florida this weekend so I'll be able to answer this better Monday. Sorry for not giving a good answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.