Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sophamiliar

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
You ARE right! I can't believe this WORKS!

Thank you Bethikus for posting this answer. I tried it and it works. I read the other answers, particularly about using a lens cleaner and writing at lower speeds but wasn't sure. Using a lens cleaner sounded suspicious because my iMac 27" i7 quad is only 2 wks old. And on slowing down the burn speed to 24x, why wouldn't this brand new computer write at 52x? I, to am using Memorex 52x CDRs. I decided to try your solution first only because I type Vietnamese on my iMac too and adjusted the languages in system preferences when I first got the computer. I did the changes as you listed, particularly the "Word Break = English (United States, Computer)" and it burned a disc. IT WORKED. and I didn't have to sacrifice burn speed. Thanks!

had the same problem, found this on another forum and it worked like a charm. who knows why...

I cannot believe it, but this crazy fix (on a 24" Core 2 Duo iMac) worked for me:

Open System Preferences.
Click on "International"
Under "Languages": Drag any of the other languages to the top,
then drag English back to the top.
Set "Order for sorted lists" to English
Set "Word Break" to English (United States, computer)
Close System Preferences
Restart computer

Incredible! It works! This is now at the top of my list for unbelievably arcane fixes...

snoozeme

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2011
medium write error

Anthony, I found your question when i had the same problem and was looking for answers. I tried again with the same computer, disc from the same spool, etc. It worked when I took a few songs off the playlist--from 12 songs to 8. you probably figured something out by now, but wanted to let you know how i did it.

lindawestmore

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
Medium write error

Can't burn CD's from itunes using each time I get the same message 'Medium Write Error' I am using Verbatim CD's. The thing is my ancient Emac who is coming up for it's 10th Birthday burns them without any trouble at all
But, my macbook - 10.6.7 can't mange more than a few track without giving up and shouting Medium Write error' It is iTunes...itself that is at fault...certainly seems that way too me..Anyone?

Linda

MissYogini

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2011
Austin, TX
medium write and abort errors

I started out really well today burning mp3 CDs in iTunes. Made 2 good ones and then the drive (MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-857E) started acting up. I started making coasters with both Sony and Memorex CD-Rs.

I slowed down the write speed to 8x and succeeded in making another coaster. Oh well, it was worth a try :)

My MacBook is a few years old so I am sure if the drive isn't deciding to belly up, it could use a good cleaning.

I'm going to purchase a cd drive cleaning kit, my home theater disc drive needs a good cleaning also.

Thank everybody for the insights!

Kokkaanko

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Solution

This has happened to me twice: several years ago my dvd/cd burner refused to recognize ANY disc. Today it gave me a "medium write error" when I tried to burn a .dmg onto a DVD, then it wouldn't recognize any discs again.

The solution both times was to run a CD lens cleaner disc that I bought for $10 about 8 years ago.

Both times it solved the problem and my DVD/CD burned worked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

I'm running: 2.2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

busso60

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
Burn Speed

I am so glad I thought to search for a post like this. I had no end of trouble trying to burn cd's with a reputable brand of cd's. I had had no problem before this time. I finally lowered the burn speed to 16x as talked about here and it worked just fine.

Thank you everyone who took time to answer the original question

tbluge

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
Thank you!

i have had the exact same problems as many of you, i tried it all. Finally i bought one of the brush-cleaning disks and it works like a champ. Thanks to you all for the information :)

sonicarl

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
Bethikus Thanks for posting your answer.
Why that works I have no idea,,, but work it does!

Cheers

krislgoo

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
CD at slower speed

I have used all the speeds even the maximum possible speed with Sony Corporation CD-R 700 MB to download songs on my 2009 MacBook and it keeps telling me a medium write error what should i do

captaincarrot

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2008
I have used all the speeds even the maximum possible speed with Sony Corporation CD-R 700 MB to download songs on my 2009 MacBook and it keeps telling me a medium write error what should i do

Have you tried any of the things suggested in this thread?
I suggest you read this thread and then try if not all, then some of the things suggested in this thread.
Then let us know how you get on.

BatmanDenton

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
Medium Right Error

I am using memorew CD-R 52x disks and a 2006 iMac. I have tried multiple speeds and I have tried burning it as a data CD, but every time it comes up with a message saying medium right error.

knew2mack

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
The Beach
WHen i read this post I tried it out and now I can burn CD's again! Here is the post Bethikus posted:

I cannot believe it, but this crazy fix (on a 24" Core 2 Duo iMac) worked for me:

Open System Preferences.
Click on "International"
Under "Languages": Drag any of the other languages to the top,
then drag English back to the top.
Set "Order for sorted lists" to English
Set "Word Break" to English (United States, computer)
Close System Preferences
Restart computer

Sounds stupid but try it out! it really works!

ok, so I went ahead & slowed the speed to 4x and it burned 1 cd, then same crap, 'medium write error' so I went & bought the lens cleaner. came home NO LUCK!!!!!!
this is so frustrating - especially since it did let me burn 1 cd.

I'd like to try this System Preferences trick but for some reason, I can't even open up system preferences.....WTH???? I am so confused, not a computer guru, so I'm not sure what to do now - anyone out there that can help me??
Stuck!!!

island219

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2013
Same Error

I've been getting this issue on my iMac 27" for some time now, sometimes It burns and sometimes it doesn't. I recently bought a 150 spindle of DVD-R's, the same as what I was previously using, (TDK, for those interested!) the first few worked perfectly and then I began to see the Medium Write Error.

This confused me, so; over the period of the last year or so I have performed the following attempts to fix/rectify this issue:

• Cleaning using compressed air
  • Lens cleaning disk
  • Different media brands
  • Different write speeds
  • Different types of media (CD-R, CD+R, DVD-R, etc…)
  • Complete reinstall
  • Different Operating systems (Windows XP, 7, 8, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Debian…)
  • Alternate programs (Toast, DiskUtility & diskutil, IMGBurn, PartedMagic, many others)

I continued to get this problem up until recently, I attempted to burn a TDK disc, when the errors appeared and the disc ejected, I simply pushed it back in, selected a different write speed and tried again. This occurred 2-3 times before the disc began to burn successfully.

This is the ISO I have been attempting to burn for the last few weeks (with no success until now!)

69H4v.png

thomasfuller

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
i lowered the write speed to 4x and its still doin the same thing

im really really pist off, anyone got an answer?

davesoroka

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2018
This is late, but I thought I'd post this here in hopes that it helps someone else...

I had been getting the dreaded medium write error for some time. I tried an external drive (an old one, not entirely reliable) and got the same thing. I thought for some reason it might be software related, so I restored my computer (a bit extreme, and an unlikely solution but I needed to do it anyways, so why not?). That didn't fix it. I did the PRAM reset (which would have no bearing on this anyways, but again why not?). I was about to give up and chalk it up to a faulty drive and bring it to apple to fix under my apple care.

As I was going to leave, I had one more idea. I went to work (I work at Best Buy) and picked up a CD laser lens cleaner disc. My MBP wouldn't load the disc, but when you put it in, the disc spins and tries to load, running the brushes over the laser.

A few times through that and my computer is working like a champ.

So before you try all that other crap, go out and spend the 10 bucks for the lens cleaner. : )
[doublepost=1524974188][/doublepost]This worked. I have an old disc lens cleaner and I inserted it into my MacBook and it tried to read it and spit it out. I repeated this a couple of times, knowing that it had to be spinning in there as the machine tried to read it. So it was cleaning the lens. Now the machine is indeed "working like a champ", burning on discs that it used to spit out. Great fix!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.