Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Re: Memory + P4 speeds increase!!!

Originally posted by Falleron
Memory - Take a look.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/25161.html

I hope that apple uses this speed instead of the older 266 or 333 variants.

I don't think Apple will be going to a newer memory chip on its first upgrade in so long I can't remember the last time they changed memory, its too new. We'll get 266 if we're lucky is my guess.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
If they are going after high end programs (3D etc) they really could do with every bit of speed they can get. However, you are probably right about going with the 266 version.

coeus

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2002
albany, western australia
if Apple want speed they better start pumping out 64bit boxes. Dont forget PowerPC is designed not to create heat (this is what im observing) and everytime you more speed you need to reinvent wheel so there is no heat!

the G3 iMac only had a heatsink dont forget.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Quote of CNET.

Desktops:
Pentium 4: the next generation
By Lori Grunin
(5/7/02)

The 850E chipset also lacks a couple of key features, which may mean that this iteration of motherboards won't be around for long. First, it supports only PC800 RDRAM (800MHz) rather than the next-generation RIMM 4200 (1.06GHz), which

Look at the memory speeds!!! How can Apple on just introduce DDRAM 266?? Surely they must uses some of these faster types of memory?

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
And you know what. That 133 MHZ of system bus, and the 153MHZ of processor power only musters a 3% increase in performance. Why, because the architecture sucks. Period. When AMD comes out with a 2.53 GHZ system with a 533 MHZ bus, that will be fast, real friggin fast. I would still take the Mac over the PC because the system lets me work. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.