Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
I just got a free 1GB RAM stick for my 24" iMac, but there's a couple of things I have a problem with:

1) On the stick it indicates that it's a MacBook Pro memory. That's not a problem right, they're the same for iMacs aren't they?

2) When I opened the memory access door I saw it already has 2 modules installed, presumably 512mb each. Does that mean that I can only get 1.5GB RAM (removing one of the 512 ones to replace with the 1GB), and the only way to get 2GB would be to get another 1GB stick?

Thanks and I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I'm absolutely horrible when it comes to hardware :(

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) It's harder than you think to push the RAM all the way into the socket -- there's an initial push, then a "Clunk" - you might be tempted to stop there but you'd be wrong -- keep pushing and there's a final "Click" as it seats into the socket.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) It's harder than you think to push the RAM all the way into the socket -- there's an initial push, then a "Clunk" - you might be tempted to stop there but you'd be wrong -- keep pushing and there's a final "Click" as it seats into the socket.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Ouch, that really sucks about only being possible to upgrade to 1.5GB right now.

The first time I opened it to check, I ejected the modules and then put them back in again, when I turned on the iMac it didn't boot (black screen, solid light on the right like when it's sleeping). So I opened it again, ejected, pressed the memory and closed it again and it worked just fine. Should I be concerned about this or did I just simply not press it hard enough the first time?

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Ok, I guess I'll just replace one of the 512MB sticks with the 1GB one I just got, however I need a little help since I'm really afraid of doing something wrong.

Let me make sure I got it right:

1- Remove the door
2- Pull the levers
3- Remove the bottom or top slot (does it make a difference?)

At this point, when I push the levers the slot doesn't really come all the way out, like in this picture from Apple:

303084_7.jpg

But they're clearly loose, can I just reach it and remove it?

4- Put the new slot in in, push it until I hear a "click"
5- Push the slot I didn't remove back in too
6- Close

Is that it?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The first time I opened it to check, I ejected the modules and then put them back in again, when I turned on the iMac it didn't boot (black screen, solid light on the right like when it's sleeping). So I opened it again, ejected, pressed the memory and closed it again and it worked just fine. Should I be concerned about this or did I just simply not press it hard enough the first time?
No concern. It takes a good push to get the RAM into the sockets.

I actually had the memory slip out of their sockets when I moved my iMac. I just reseated them and my iMac booted up just fine.

Ok, I guess I'll just replace one of the 512MB sticks with the 1GB one I just got, however I need a little help since I'm really afraid of doing something wrong.

Let me make sure I got it right:

1- Remove the door
2- Pull the levers
3- Remove the bottom or top slot (does it make a difference?)

At this point, when I push the levers the slot doesn't really come all the way out, like in this picture from Apple:

303084_7.jpg

But they're clearly loose, can I just reach it and remove it?

4- Put the new slot in in, push it until I hear a "click"
5- Push the slot I didn't remove back in too
6- Close

Is that it?
All the steps are right.

pancho

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Ok, I just tried it again. I managed to pull the bottom slot, but the memory I have seems to be just a tad wider, like a couple of millimeters, so it didn't go in as easy as the original memory and like halfway trough it won't go in at all (of course I didn't really force it since the original one goes in so easy).

Now, do I have the wrong memory? It says "Apple MacBookPro PC2-5300/1GB". If indeed it is the right one, what am I doing wrong, should I use the top slot maybe? I'm pretty sure the position was right, the sticker facing bottom and the little edge facing left, just like the original memory that was in.

Thanks in advance

kixsand

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2007
Toronto
2) When I opened the memory access door I saw it already has 2 modules installed, presumably 512mb each. Does that mean that I can only get 1.5GB RAM (removing one of the 512 ones to replace with the 1GB), and the only way to get 2GB would be to get another 1GB stick?

QUOTE]

So...to get 3 mb of ram you have to ditch the two 512 sticks and replace with a 1gb stick and a 2 gb stick?

Why couldn't they just ship it with a single 1gb stick so that the existing ram wouldn't immediately be redundant...or is this not possible?

darren

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Again: Yes, MacBook RAM is the right model. Now as to whether the specific modules you have there are correctly made or not, that's anybody's guess.

can I just reach it and remove it?
Yes, but do not use tools. If you grab the RAM with pliers you will damage it and void your RAM warranty instantly.

to get 3 mb of ram you have to ditch the two 512 sticks and replace with a 1gb stick and a 2 gb stick?
Yes

Why couldn't they just ship it with a single 1gb stick so that the existing ram wouldn't immediately be redundant...or is this not possible?

Of course they could -- you don't have to have matching pairs. But depending on the model of the machine, that's what Apple decided.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.