Memory Upgrade on 24" iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by pancho, Jan 24, 2007.

1. pancho macrumors newbie

I just got a free 1GB RAM stick for my 24" iMac, but there's a couple of things I have a problem with:

1) On the stick it indicates that it's a MacBook Pro memory. That's not a problem right, they're the same for iMacs aren't they?

2) When I opened the memory access door I saw it already has 2 modules installed, presumably 512mb each. Does that mean that I can only get 1.5GB RAM (removing one of the 512 ones to replace with the 1GB), and the only way to get 2GB would be to get another 1GB stick?

Thanks and I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I'm absolutely horrible when it comes to hardware :(

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) It's harder than you think to push the RAM all the way into the socket -- there's an initial push, then a "Clunk" - you might be tempted to stop there but you'd be wrong -- keep pushing and there's a final "Click" as it seats into the socket.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. pancho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch, that really sucks about only being possible to upgrade to 1.5GB right now.

The first time I opened it to check, I ejected the modules and then put them back in again, when I turned on the iMac it didn't boot (black screen, solid light on the right like when it's sleeping). So I opened it again, ejected, pressed the memory and closed it again and it worked just fine. Should I be concerned about this or did I just simply not press it hard enough the first time?

4. pancho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I guess I'll just replace one of the 512MB sticks with the 1GB one I just got, however I need a little help since I'm really afraid of doing something wrong.

Let me make sure I got it right:

1- Remove the door
    2- Pull the levers
    3- Remove the bottom or top slot (does it make a difference?)

At this point, when I push the levers the slot doesn't really come all the way out, like in this picture from Apple:

[​IMG]

But they're clearly loose, can I just reach it and remove it?

4- Put the new slot in in, push it until I hear a "click"
    5- Push the slot I didn't remove back in too
    6- Close

Is that it?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

No concern. It takes a good push to get the RAM into the sockets.

I actually had the memory slip out of their sockets when I moved my iMac. I just reseated them and my iMac booted up just fine.

All the steps are right.

6. pancho thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I just tried it again. I managed to pull the bottom slot, but the memory I have seems to be just a tad wider, like a couple of millimeters, so it didn't go in as easy as the original memory and like halfway trough it won't go in at all (of course I didn't really force it since the original one goes in so easy).

Now, do I have the wrong memory? It says "Apple MacBookPro PC2-5300/1GB". If indeed it is the right one, what am I doing wrong, should I use the top slot maybe? I'm pretty sure the position was right, the sticker facing bottom and the little edge facing left, just like the original memory that was in.

Thanks in advance

7. kixsand macrumors regular

kixsand

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Again: Yes, MacBook RAM is the right model. Now as to whether the specific modules you have there are correctly made or not, that's anybody's guess.

Yes, but do not use tools. If you grab the RAM with pliers you will damage it and void your RAM warranty instantly.

Yes

Of course they could -- you don't have to have matching pairs. But depending on the model of the machine, that's what Apple decided.