Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I have two computers which are nearly identical...

the first is a 2.0 ghz Mac Mini w/ 4gb ram and the second is a unibody macbook 2.0 w/ 2 gb ram.

I'd like to upgrade both to 8 gb, though I was thinking there is an option that would get me partway there...If I bought one 8gb kit for $50...I could either upgrade the macbook to 4gb (from the mini) and the mini to 8gb, or, I could make each have 6gb.

What's the best option and why...(ps...I know 8 in each is the best...but work with me here)

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
I don't think you'd see much difference going from 4GB to 6GB. You'd be better off doubling the RAM in the Mac Mini and quadrupling the RAM in your MacBook going the full 8GB on each than splitting what you have.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I don't think you'd see much difference going from 4GB to 6GB. You'd be better off doubling the RAM in the Mac Mini and quadrupling the RAM in your MacBook going the full 8GB on each than splitting what you have.

Thanks. The thought was that going from 2 to 4 was an improvement years ago when I did it for the mini...2 to 6 might be a little better...I agree that 4 to 6 would be a minimal improvement, but I was just thinking of ways to save $50. :eek:

BreakGuy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NZ, South Pacific
Thanks. The thought was that going from 2 to 4 was an improvement years ago when I did it for the mini...2 to 6 might be a little better...I agree that 4 to 6 would be a minimal improvement, but I was just thinking of ways to save $50. :eek:
You'll be glad you spend the extra $50. It's an investment to some extent.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
You'll be glad you spend the extra $50. It's an investment to some extent.

Well, I upgraded both computers to 8gb and it provided more improvement than I expected. I've tried pushing it a little, ie, ripping a movie while working in Aperture, running iTunes, browsing the web, etc., and it will quickly suck up 6gb or more of the available 8, but has not, at least not yet, had to use the swap file...a major spinning beach ball cause.

probably repeating what many have said...but given the low price of ram, 8 gb is a worthwhile upgrade, even for 3 year old CPUs. Both of my computers are C2D 2.0 and do everything I need...the only improvement that would be of more interest would be one of the current i5 or i7 processors

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Watch out. There are members on this forum that will tell you 8GB is useless in a mac for all but the most demanding of users. :rolleyes:

Fact of the matter, the cost of 8GB worth of DDR3 RAM is less than $40 in the US (a little more maybe in other parts of the world), and if you are running 2GB of RAM, it makes no sense to upgrade to 4GB when for roughly 10-15 you can get 8GB. Even if you never use the extra 4GB of RAM, resale alone should cover your extra outlay.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
CA
Watch out. There are members on this forum that will tell you 8GB is useless in a mac for all but the most demanding of users. :rolleyes:

Fact of the matter, the cost of 8GB worth of DDR3 RAM is less than $40 in the US (a little more maybe in other parts of the world), and if you are running 2GB of RAM, it makes no sense to upgrade to 4GB when for roughly 10-15 you can get 8GB. Even if you never use the extra 4GB of RAM, resale alone should cover your extra outlay.

I hear you...but then again, I would imagine that the majority of users don't use Aperture or the like, nor do they rip/encode their own movies. If all you do is browse the internet and send emails, chances are that 2gb will be fine...4 gb would be great. For me, I don't like unexpected hits to performance, that could be addressed with $45 (from OWC)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.