Menu Bar Size

Discussion in 'iMac' started by FJ2011, Jan 17, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Hi,

I just received my new 27" iMac today. The menu bar on each apps is just a little bit small.

Is there anyway to increase the menu bar size without decrease the resolution? In Win 7, I was able to do it.

Thanks

2. macrumors 68000

Nope, btw it's irrelevant that Win 7 could do it.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

Then what's next lower resolution that I should to apply?

4. macrumors 603

justperry

If you don't see it you ordered the wrong computer.

What's the reason to buy an expensive 27" and then lower the resolution.:confused:

5. macrumors 68000

Lancer

I'm assuming you're talking about the top menu bar and not the Dock that runs along the bottom of the screen?

Yes it can't be adjusted, you will get used to it or many you need better glasses?

As for the Dock at the bottom, go into the System Preferences (Apple Menu) then look for Dock. You can adjust the size of that, it's position and a few other things.

6. macrumors 601

You can also adjust the size of the Dock by placing the mouse cursor over the vertical line separating the trash and the rest of the apps. Hover over the line, press down on the mouse or trackpad and move up and down and adjust the Dock size. If you hold down the Option key and do everything above you can adjust the Dock in increments. Sorry I know this thread is about the Menu Bar but since you mentioned the Dock I just wanted to add a faster and easier solution.

7. tom vilsack, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

how-make-menu-title-bar-bigger

In terminal

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1.5

would increase the overall scaling of everything launched AFTER you executed that code to 150% (with 100% being normal size)

defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor 1

will return everything to default size.

i just tryed it...150% makes everything way to big...maybe try 1.1 (which would be 110%)

8. macrumors 68000

Lancer

Yes I know the short cut way of changing the dock but it's very limited compared to the System Pref.

Wow interesting, shame that's not in the System Pref!

9. macrumors 603

justperry

This works but if you have nocturne installed like me it conflicts with it.

I think the real solution without scaling is to edit the built in OS X graphics of the Menu Bar and hack the System so the Font is bigger in the Menu Bar.