Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone apps - reasonable trial period

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
I agree on a week, or two. If you get using the App for a few days, and like it, you're more apt to get hooked and buy it.
I think a Trial is needed because most websites for these new Apps, don't describe their product enough. They tell you just a little bit to try and get you to buy the App, but not enough to show you that features are missing that you may want in the App. A trial would answer most questions in your mind.

eplchamps0304

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Shouldnt some apps have trial periods?

I noticed that all the apps are not offering any sort of trail period. This is unusual for downloadable software.

triplefinger

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2005
i think an hour is enough, but yeah, i want to try em before i buy em

I tend to agree here. after trying, a few moments was really enough with the simpler apps. (how long is a moment?)

complex ones, should be longer

gadgetmacfreak

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
I would like a preview - for me one day would be sufficient. But the phrase "be careful what you wish for" also comes to mind. My guess is that if we had previews, games that are $5 would be $10, etc.

I prefer lower overall prices with no previews (base my decisions on reviews) to previews that lead to higher prices.

I agree with other comments that I probably would not have bought monkeyball if I had previewed it. I actually have gotten better at it, but at first I could not control it at all.

opticalserenity

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
This is the same trend as regular software for pc's. At first, no trials, then they discovered they can sell way more with trials. Give it a few weeks. The smart vendors will do it.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I would like a preview - for me one day would be sufficient. But the phrase "be careful what you wish for" also comes to mind. My guess is that if we had previews, games that are $5 would be $10, etc.
Why? I agree with some others, previews will bring in more purchases, not fewer. I mean, if the app is good, obviously. Not sure how that raises prices.

gadgetmacfreak

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
Why? I agree with some others, previews will bring in more purchases, not fewer. I mean, if the app is good, obviously. Not sure how that raises prices.

If the app is good then they probably will bring in more purchases, but they will also be more confident to charge a higher price. With no trial people may not want to pay to try it so the vendor charges a lower price. With a trial, lots of good reviews and high quality on their side they would have good reason to raise the price.

Lets say that it is not a really good app, or to put it more kindly, the app has a small group of people who consider it a diamond in the rough - then they might raise prices to make up for lost revenue.

Those are both reasons why the prices might go up. There are also reasons not to raise the price -- I am just saying that it might happen.

triplefinger

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2005
In my book higher prices are worth it for a better game. trials would put more pressure on developers to improve their games. which would be good.

I prefer lower overall prices with no previews (base my decisions on reviews) to previews that lead to higher prices.

I agree with other comments that I probably would not have bought monkeyball if I had previewed it. I actually have gotten better at it, but at first I could not control it at all.

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
why no trial versions

After downloading a $15 weather program (My Weather) only to discover that you are limited to the cities in their database (very limited) and can't add/search via zipcodes or add anywhere out of the country I felt ripped off.

The biggest problem with app store is that they don't have trial versions. All the big windows mobile software sites and companies offer trial versions of their programs, anywhere from a week to a month long, so you can evaluate whether it will meet your demands.

The App store and programmers need to make this a reality. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't want to since it works so well for WM and makes for happy purchasers.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I would guess there are no trial versions for exactly the same reasons as last time someone asked why there were no trial versions, only a few days ago..

littlewaywelt

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
What was wrong with the free one that Apple gave you?

Reading reviews before purchasing is as close to demos as we'll get, I'm afraid.

I read the reviews. None of them indicated this limitation.

The stock app is incredibly lame - highs and lows
It oesn't give you radar, % chance of precip, humidity, wind or tell you if it's going to rain at 2pm or 10pm.

mattmccarty

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Collins,GA
There are "demo" versions of software. They are called Lite Versions. They are basically slimmed down version of an app to give you a good example of what the app is.

Here's an article

We need to pressure the developers into making more of these.

MacGeek7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2007
After downloading a $15 weather program (My Weather) only to discover that you are limited to the cities in their database (very limited) and can't add/search via zipcodes or add anywhere out of the country I felt ripped off.

The biggest problem with app store is that they don't have trial versions. All the big windows mobile software sites and companies offer trial versions of their programs, anywhere from a week to a month long, so you can evaluate whether it will meet your demands.

The App store and programmers need to make this a reality. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't want to since it works so well for WM and makes for happy purchasers.

There's also a free version of WeatherBug that works rather nicely

Niiro13

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2008
Illinois
I believe Apple isn't really allowing the timed DRM (like they do for rentals).

But of course developers could create Lite versions like Twitter did.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
I think I've bought just one app, and it was $.99. However, once downloaded I noticed it's functionally was just out of whack. The company was even aware and promised fixes/upgrades soon, but the time to be informed of this is not after the purchase.

Sure, one could do some Googling/research etc, on each app, but that's a little ridiculous. This information should be readily available on the product page of each app and it should be specific.

It cost me a buck to find this out, others aren't so fortunate. Had it been more, I'da have to open a can. ;)

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
I really hope Apple comes up with something soon because there are a few apps that I would like to try out so that I can decide what I want to buy. I am willing to pay good money for good software but I really need to be able to try it to know.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Me too! I've seen people rate one app a 1-star and say "THE 2.0 SOFTWARE ISN'T OUT YET FOR MY IPOD TOUCH, FU APPLE!"

Yeh, I think you shouldn't be about to leave a review unless you downloaded it or bought it. Some of those comment pages read like a forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.