Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
The messages program on my Mac Mini is set up for my account. I'd like to be able to swap between that and viewing my 14 year old daughter's account. How do I do that?

Thanks!

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
You can add Accounts in the Preferences, and Sign in and out. Or use Fast User Switching to switch to her User account, if she has one on the same Mac.
Either way, you'll need to ask her for the password, so she can give you access, of course.

And make sure you don't accidentally start sending from her ID. :p

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I set up her iPhone when she got it for Christmas. She doesn't access it from my Mac. I just want to do the parental thing of checking on her iMessage conversations once in awhile (have the password).

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
There are a lot of threads on this site and others about the merits, or otherwise, of parents using technology to oversee teenagers' behaviour.
They usually deal with such issues as:

What will you do if you find something you don't like?
How will she react when she finds out you're looking in?
If she knows you're looking in, might she do her "secret" communicating via other means?

It's possible that the best solution to the problem may not be technological.

Best wishes and good luck.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
Depends on what I find. I guess it goes along the lines of "trust but verify". Her Mom and I each have her Facebook password and she knows that we view that. I believe her Mom looks at her messages sometimes. My daughter isn't with me all of the time so I'd like to view those too. Especially if there is a conversation between them about me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.