Messages on 10.6

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by andycarver, Feb 19, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

I've only had SL for just over 2 years. I don't want I upgrade yet. Obviously messages has been created for lion users to reel them into ML.

Has anyone found a way of getting messages on 10.6?

2. pmz
    macrumors 68000

$29, App Store.

This "I'm afraid to update" business is beyond ridiculous. What do you think this is, Windows?

3. macrumors 6502a

Didn't you hear...Lion is the devil!!! ;)

4. macrumors 6502

Snow Leopard has ichat 5. Lion has iChat 6. Messages installs on top of ichat in the Lion beta. You wouldd probably have to port ichat 6 to snow leopard first before installing messages.

If you have a test installation of snow leopard that you dont mind messing about with then maybe try installing messages using pacifist and hope for the best.

5. Guest

Sky Blue

If you want messages, you do want to update. ;)

6. macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Maybe the OP is a heavy expose/spaces user or requires Rosetta for necessary PPC applications.

7. macrumors 68020

T'hain Esh Kelch

Or just hate the iOSification of the system.

8. macrumors 6502

Well, I didn't have any success with Messages on 10.6

First, I modified the SystemVersion.plist to make the installer think my system was updated to 10.7.3. Then I installed the Messages Beta and restarted. I then replaced Snow Leopard's iChat with the latest Lion version and attempted to start the application. No go. Just an error message pop-up asking to report the fault to Apple.

Total bummer and unfair...first no iCloud for 10.6 (whatever happened to 10.6.9?) and now this. If AirPlay is made available to Core 2 Duo systems it may just be time to take the plunge, whatever the cost in battery life.