Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Carry too much for a thin sleeve and not enough for a big messenger bag or backpack.

Looking for a small messenger bag or smaller backpack/daypack to hold the following:

MBA
Adapter
iPad in Apple case
5 x 8" notebook, (thick)
1 or 2 thin file folders
wallet
phone
keys

That's about it. It's hard to find something that size. Must be man'ly looking too.

Last edited:

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
Since you're in Canada...

How about Roots? They have some great leather bag options...

The Small School Bag in tribe leather
http://canada.roots.com/SmallSchool...tml?cgid=leatherLaptopBags&selectedColor=2402

The Raiders Satchel in tribe leather
http://canada.roots.com/RaidersSatc...tml?cgid=leatherLaptopBags&selectedColor=2402

or the Raiders Bag in tribe leather (I have this one and love it)
http://canada.roots.com/RaidersBagI...tml?cgid=leatherLaptopBags&selectedColor=2402

Great bags. Very stylish yet still masculine. I get compliments on mine all the time. Pricey but worth it.

Usual disclaimer; I'm not affiliated with Roots in any way, other than loving lots of their stuff. :)

m&c

MrMacNasty

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
I carry mine around in a black Camelback Mule NV hydration backpack. It has a separate compartment apart from the hydration compartment which will hold the MBA or if you don't need a hydration pack, you can take it out and the compartment for the hydration pack will also hold the MBA which gives you a second free compartment to hold some other stuff.

I find that it makes a great small backpack and I leave the hydration pack out most of the time unless I need it for something. It is available in the more deluxe NV model or the regular Cameback Mule is even cheaper and would work just as well for this purpose. This pack is currently on sale at many places online to clear the way for 2011 models.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=camelback+mule+hydration&button.x=0&button.y=0

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
How about Roots? They have some great leather bag options...

The Small School Bag in tribe leather
http://canada.roots.com/SmallSchool...tml?cgid=leatherLaptopBags&selectedColor=2402

The Raiders Satchel in tribe leather
http://canada.roots.com/RaidersSatc...tml?cgid=leatherLaptopBags&selectedColor=2402

or the Raiders Bag in tribe leather (I have this one and love it)
http://canada.roots.com/RaidersBagI...tml?cgid=leatherLaptopBags&selectedColor=2402

Great bags. Very stylish yet still masculine. I get compliments on mine all the time. Pricey but worth it.

Usual disclaimer; I'm not affiliated with Roots in any way, other than loving lots of their stuff. :)

m&c

Yes masculine. But it's a women's bust modeling it :D

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks very much for taking the time to post the links. I like Roots stuff too.

How much can you fit into your Raiders bag?

I can actually fit a fair bit of stuff in there. I often carry my 13" unibody aluminum MB (no case on it, just an InvisibleShield), iPhone4, Blackberry, wallet, keys, iPod Touch and headphones (earbuds). At times I change out the MacBook for my iPad and a Kindle. The 13" MB does feel a bit heavy in there but the bag swallows my wife's 13" MBA effortlessly. (My new 13" MBA is on it's way from China so it will lighten the load a bit. I can't wait until it gets here.) While I don't often carry the MB and the iPad together I can and I have. An Air (either size) and an iPad, along with the other stuff I mentioned wouldn't be a problem.

The buckles on the Raiders Satchel are pretty cool... They look like normal buckles but they actually have strong magnets under the buckle which attach to the bag. So the buckles are actually just for show; the magnets keep the straps locked down on the body of the bag.

Another Roots bag that may interest you, that I'm currently looking at picking up, is the Milano Bag in tribe leather.
http://canada.roots.com/NewMilanoBa...tml?cgid=leatherLaptopBags&selectedColor=2402
It has a few external pockets to handle the charger cables, etc. It's a few more bucks but looks very nice and also versatile. I haven't been able to actually see one in person yet though as the Roots stores I've checked haven't had it in store.

Honestly, as long as any of these fit your needs size-wise, I don't think you can go wrong. They're good looking, well-made bags. Like I said before, I have no complaints with mine.

Oh, I will mention one other company... http://www.saddlebackleather.com
Expensive bags too but they have a 100 year warranty and look like they're built so that he never has to honour that warranty. Also, in reading the site, the guy who makes them seems pretty cool. If you like dogs at all check out the area on his site where he talks about his dog Blue. I don't have any of his stuff so I can't speak to it personally, other than going through his site quite a bit.

Good luck. Keep us posted with what you go with!
m&c

Spacekatgal

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009

Except that somehow it's not.

I'd never heard of this company, but those are gorgeous bags. Thanks for the share! I'm really thinking of splurging on this now, except that the dedicated Vaya case for the MBA is also $300. It seems like it's more fitted and lighter.

Bri

mac&cheesey

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2008

Not that it's a big deal but I checked the photos and didn't see breasts on the mannequins modelling any of the bags I mentioned; they looked to me like male figures. Plus, I got to the bags under the Men's Laptops & Messengers area of the Roots site.

If I'm wrong, oh well... :rolleyes:

Later,
m&c

TheAllStar

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2010
For the times I'm not in the mood to use my trusty JanSport backpack, I use a Dakine Station messenger bag; by far the best messenger bag I've ever owned. Not too big, not too small, and for what you've described, it should do what you need it to. It's pretty heavy duty, too.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Not that it's a big deal but I checked the photos and didn't see breasts on the mannequins modelling any of the bags I mentioned; they looked to me like male figures. Plus, I got to the bags under the Men's Laptops & Messengers area of the Roots site.

If I'm wrong, oh well... :rolleyes:

Later,
m&c

Oh yes i'm wrong ooops :eek:.

Didn't notice the boobs (or lack of them)

I must be slipping seriously.

Last edited:

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
If you're looking at the Roots bags then your price range is fairly wide open for messenger style bags for what you are needing. You have 100's of options if you're willing to spend that much. Very elegant/manly options I might add.

rkb

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I'm loving my Israeli paratrooper's bag, it has three dividers in the main part with a smaller snap pocket piggy backed that holds the power cables. There is no exposed hardware that will scratch the MBA while it's in the pack.

-shalom
photo-177.jpg

photo-178.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

durangotang

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Toffee Case!

I thought I would chime in here quickly. I have a nice leather tote bag - almost the exact size of the raiders case shown above - but why carry around another 2.5 lbs of case?

I think the whole point of the air is the slimness, weight, battery and ultimately the portability. So what did I order to carry my 13" ultimate MBA? Well, I ordered this:

http://www.toffee.com.au/products/toffee-case

It weighs .55 lbs, it appears to be a luxurious leather, and it seems rigid enough to protect the air in case of a mild drop. I haven't seen it yet, but I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

I simply don't want to carry anything else around with me except my wallet, keys, ipod/iphone and this baby. I plan to have a power adapter at work, and an additional one at home and for the times in between - well that's what a 7 hour battery is for.

Total weight: 3.45 lbs.

Cheers :)

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
I thought I would chime in here quickly. I have a nice leather tote bag - almost the exact size of the raiders case shown above - but why carry around another 2.5 lbs of case?

I think the whole point of the air is the slimness, weight, battery and ultimately the portability. So what did I order to carry my 13" ultimate MBA? Well, I ordered this:

http://www.toffee.com.au/products/toffee-case

It weighs .55 lbs, it appears to be a luxurious leather, and it seems rigid enough to protect the air in case of a mild drop. I haven't seen it yet, but I'll post my thoughts when it arrives.

I simply don't want to carry anything else around with me except my wallet, keys, ipod/iphone and this baby. I plan to have a power adapter at work, and an additional one at home and for the times in between - well that's what a 7 hour battery is for.

Total weight: 3.45 lbs.

Cheers :)

Doesn't fit.

I have the exact same one. Bought it from them. It fit the last Air but for some inexplicable reason it doesn't fit this 13"

I have it stuffed with magazines to see If I can stretch it a bit, but so for no-go.

I don't get it as the dimensions appear to be the same. But i think it's the curvature that's different.

So the lesson is : custom, tight fitting cases, need to be redone for this rev.

Note: Toffee cases are excellent, so maybe another one of theirs will work.

(actually, I should be more specific. It will fit inside, except it's so tight that you can't get it out. I had to spend some effort to get mine out, and for a while I thought I might damage the Air by gripping it too hard . The last rev B was a tight fit but nothing like this.)

Last edited:

durangotang

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Doesn't fit.

If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Seriously though, you just bummed me out. Before I ordered it, I googled the exact specs of the previous generation macbook air (.16 -.76 x 12.8 x 8.94) and compared them to the new generation macbook air (.11 -.68 x 12.8 x 8.94) and figured that it would be a pretty good fit. :mad: Hopefully I can return it ... to Australia.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Agreed, I prefer leather but don't want a heavy leather bag, that would defeat the purpose/benefit of the Air.

I do like Roots messenger bags but I wish they had a little grab handle sewn in so when it's not on your shoulder you have a way to carry it. I wish the Muzetto bags had a handle too.

Timbuk2 messenger bags come with a handle, or it's a $10 option to add it. Only problem I find with Timbuk2 bags is they're true messenger bags and their shoulder straps are a little shorter.

Price isn't a concern, but getting a (smaller) really functional bag is.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
If it doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Seriously though, you just bummed me out. Before I ordered it, I googled the exact specs of the previous generation macbook air (.16 -.76 x 12.8 x 8.94) and compared them to the new generation macbook air (.11 -.68 x 12.8 x 8.94) and figured that it would be a pretty good fit. :mad: Hopefully I can return it ... to Australia.

Sorry about that. I really like the case, it's about as good as you can get.

I was surprised. It's possible yours will fit. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.
But i wouldn't count on it. Then again, i've seen this sort of thing play out where the cases had variations , so that some people got different fits. Let's hope so for yours.

I would imagine Toffee would be accommodating considering they sell this for the Air.....

Last edited:

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Being addicted to both Laptops & good protective bags of all types, I use all different combinations depending on where I'm headed. What's particularly satisfying about my 13" MBA is it's so light I can't even tell it's there ... :)

So far, this replacement for my first defective Air is working well. Yet then again it's only been four hours. It's at times like this I enjoy living just three blocks from the Apple Store. Especially during these times of collapsing quality control. I'm on my fourth iPhone 4, all exchanges for the original. This one seems ok.

Apples beginning to feel like buying from Dell. Perhaps Apple will come to their senses and restore their good name with those of us that know how good they used to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.